The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

My 6.2L diesel rebuild update, part II

Hey everybody! Sorry, I've been extremely busy and haven't posted in a while.

As some of you might recall, I started a serious rebuild project on my diesel back at the end of February. It took over three months, but I finally got the thing running again!

Since my last update, I've put about 4000 miles on the new engine, and all I can say is, WOW! This thing will flat out scoot. I towed our 5th wheel RV down to Ft. Worth back in June, and I had no trouble keeping up with my parents who were towing their 5th wheel with a '95 Ford Power Stroke that has been chipped. Granted, they're pulling a larger trailer, but I was able to pass them on one hill!

Before the turbo install, a local hill would have me pulled down to about 45 mph in second gear. After the turbo, pulling the same hill w/the same trailer saw me top the hill around 54 mph. After the engine rebuild, I top the same hill with the same trailer at 65 mph, and I'm still gaining speed! (60 mph speed limit on that road). I have no trouble driving at whatever speed I want w/trailer in tow now. It just pulls and pulls.

BTW, the trailer is a 29' 5th wheel, weighing approx. 8500 lbs.

I averaged 11 mpg on the Ft. Worth trip...not too bad for towing such a large load. I was even able to maintain 70 mph most of the way in over drive.

I haven't really kept an eye on solo fuel mileage, yet. I've been having too much fun watching the boost guage!

Oh yeah, boost has increased from a max. of 14 psi before rebuild, to a max. of 17 psi after. Now boost stays in the 10-14 psi range when pulling hard at 65 mph. EGT's stay under 1100 degrees, well within the safety range.

I can peel the rubber off my tires now, as well! Before, the diesel just couldn't quite manage to burn rubber when power braking. It would just squeak the tires and then roll on. Now, I can power brake, watch the boost build, and then start shredding the tires! It won't stop until I let off the throttle. I just can't believe it! A 6.2L diesel is supposed to be gutless! Now I wish I had posi so I could lay a nice set of even lines on the pavement!

Over all, I'm positively giddy at the performance of my diesel. I'm still fighting an idling issue, but it's quite minor. I don't think it idles quite right, but it might be a combination of the high-flow fuel system and low-compression pistons.

Just wanted to give ya'll and update and let you know that the 6.2L diesel isn't a totally lost cause.

Casey
Old 08-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
1987 Shortwide

sounds awsome, I remember looking at your buildup
My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:59 AM   #3
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Cool.
Congrats on your hard work.
Proofs in the pudding.
Got any updated pics?

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:49 PM   #4
SanitysBane

Were are the pictures?
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
milehightoyz
AttentionDeficitDisorder

id be interested in taking a look at the build up? links anyone?
milehightoyz is offline   Reply With Quote