The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2005, 09:13 AM   #1
Chuck78

64 suburban upgrades vs swapping body to 89 Suburban frame/drivetrain

After going to this old yard to cut some parts off of two 72 Camaros, and dig up a few other things including 9 leaf springs for my 89 Suburban, I have since fallen in love with this purple 64 Suburban body that's there... Body needs less work than my 89 does, and has some serious style. Not sure how rusty the frame may be, as it's buried in weeds and it didn't quite strike me the same until after going to a ratt rod show immediately afterwards. The engine is a 6 banger that has problems.
I was thinking,...that would be so great if I could keep my chassis and running gear/drivetrain all together and just clean up the frame, and swap this whole body on. That way I could just worry about things like steering swap, things that attach to the firewall, splicing wiring harnesses together, and instrumentation... It'd be awesome to have more modern suspension and brakes and a solid chassis with a fuel injected 350 and 4 speed automatic, but the killer style of a 64 Suburban body... Man that is a killer ride! Not sure how all of you would feel about this, but I'd like to hear somoe opinions.

This is seriously all I can think about today....

Anyone have any clue as to how easily the 64 body would drop onto my 89 chassis? The bodies from 73 all the way up to 90 Suburbans were almost identical... I know there is a generation gap there (60-66/67-72/73-90) in the Suburban family, but maybe, just maybe!
I wonder if the chassis profile and body mounting stayed fairly similar... as well as the wheelbase. if not, I am good with a welder, cutting tools, and scrap metal! Just want to know how feasible this would be.... Would like to keep all running gear from the 89, not sure how inferior the 64 front suspension would be to the 89, but I definitely would want the newer front disc brakes, and probably rear drums. For something that I would still use for towing and hauling 4X8 sheets of plywood and drywall, or engines, etc., I would want the rear suspension to be really heavy duty, and I would think the 9 leaf 3/4 ton setup would be much more stout than the coil spring setup, but again, most of my knowledge is geared towards everything Camaro/Firebird related...

Seems like the frame on the 73-90 burbs jumps up a little higher in the back, and a little closer to the axle is where it jumps up, so I would envision having to raise the body 2-3" off the middle of the frame to get it to mount to the rear. Then the gas tank is in a different spot most likely, as far as the filler neck. Have to use the older one.

Now if this turns out to be a 4X4 when I go back to look at it, I would probably want to stick with the stock chassis, but I am thinking it's probably a 2wd. it was sitting fairly high though, who knows. I was in too much of a hurry to cut out a trunk pan, cowl (under windshield section of metal) section for my suburban, pull a windshield for it, and some leaf springs, that I had very little time to drool over this plum/purple colored carryall...
Anyhow, like to hear advice on either approach. discs on the front of the 60-66, and rear suspension opinions, and then also opinions on the whole body swap on my 89 chassis.

Thanks,

Chuck

Last edited by Chuck78; 08-07-2005 at 09:15 AM. Reason: changing notification preferences
Chuck78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #2
Chuck78

From Nauta on the 70-81 Camaro message board:
"I have a 56 PU cab mounted on my 89 4x4 chassis. Cab wasn't so bad but the real ***** is how high the back of the frame kicks up on the 89. You might have to cut the floor out to get it to sit right in the rear. On the up side the 89 chassis sure makes that old 56 a sweet riding/handling truck. Oh yeah, I also used the 89 steering column. 56 and 64 are way different but I think you'd face some of the same problems with the frame. Good Luck, you could have a sweet ride there."
"Fabricated mounts on the 56/89 for the cab are about 4''higher than the the original 89 mounts. It looks ok and the body covers the frame rails but I'm thinking you'd have to go another 5'' to clear the kick up on the rear of the frame. I've though some about cutting the top of the frame down and maybe boxing it for strength. Another problem is the gas tank sits right at the top of the frame so it would have to be moved too. Get your tape measure and have at it. May be theres enough difference between 56 and 64 you could do it without too much hassle."
from Pat:
"the 89 burb frame is the old 73-87 chassis. the 89 frame mentioned above is the new style truck frame with a decent sized kick-up compared to the older boxy body.

best thing i can say is check wheelbases. if its the same you're good to go. if its close by an inch re-drill the perches and move the rear end fore or aft to match. if its more than an inch off the whole spring/rear assembly probably needs moved. mounting the body will be not that big an undertaking, as long as you're handy with a welder and some channel or angle to make brackets to mount the body.
"

Last edited by Chuck78; 08-07-2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
rossboss

I think the wheel base would be a problem. The 64 has a 115" wheel base. It just so happens that I have a 4x4 frame off of a 62 suburban that the body should bolt right on. Your running gear should bolt on as well, as the frame has allready been altered to fit the newer style transfer case. Now for the problem, I live in the northwest, Washington to be exact and shipping would be a problem. You would probably have to find a trucker heading to the midwest from the westcoast with an empty truck. Would do what I could do to help, if interested let me know.
rossboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Chuck78

I wasn't really interested in a frame for it, but thanks for keeping me in mind. After looking at pictures, it did strike me that the wheelbase on the 73-91 looked about 14" longer...
I still cannot make out the inside cargo area dimensions on the 64 brochure, but since i would get rid of my other Suburban, I would still need to be able to haul 4X8 sheets of drywall or plywood in it in order for me to justify having such a long truck. Any idea on cargo area?

So basically if I found a long pickup chassis from say an 87, that would be the most ideal vehicle to do a body swap on if I were to go that route?

Going the other route, say it were 2 wheel drive, and I wanted to use the stock chassis upgrade to disc brakes, what am I looking at? Will a 73-87 spindle just bolt right in?
Also, as far as the rear suspension goes, will the coil setup work fine for heavy duty hauling, and is it unheard of to switch to a leaf setup on this era chassis?
Old 08-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #5
Frizzle Fry

Swap in a complete 71-87 front cradle with power discs and power steering. It will almost bolt right in, just drill a few holes. The rear coils should be fine for heavy hauling, but if you want leafs, they were available as an option on the Chevys and standard on the GMCs. I've never seen a swap done, but I don't imagine it wouldn't be too difficult.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote