The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2005, 09:19 PM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

Why do my fenders fit so terribly?

Hey guys!

I'm in the process of re-installing my old fenders, and an old hood so I can shoot primer onto my truck without getting my engine / frame etc all covered with overspray. However, I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get my fenders to bolt up. Its like the cab is too close to the rad support, but I've got the rad support as far forwards as it goes, and the cab as far back as it goes.

Also, the back of my fender is looking terrible as far as alignment goes as well. There is a very small gap at the top, and a huge one at the bottom, leading me to think that the core support is up too high (put the fender down as far as it'll go on the core support, and I have like 3 shims up front, yet the physical body lines are not lining up at all.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Russell; 08-08-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

is the frame bent?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #3
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

good call, especially if the frame had a plow on it at some time. alot of guys with plows just floor it and go, which is not making an already bad situatuin any better. i would look specifically where the frame bends down under the cab. my 79 K20 was bent there.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
canadian trucker
A day should have 30 hours.

i have to agree (but you say its not bent) it might be that over time the frame has started to move old frames are not perfect and like bodypanels have oval holes for lining parts up my 84 chev truck is like that it was apain to get the new body panels on (now i always weld support bars in befor i take anything apart, sure its a hassel but it saves you alot of cursing)
well thats my idea good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FaastC10
good call, especially if the frame had a plow on it at some time. alot of guys with plows just floor it and go, which is not making an already bad situatuin any better. i would look specifically where the frame bends down under the cab. my 79 K20 was bent there.
canadian trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:01 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Nope, frame is good. I was looking at old pictures, and it seems that they always fit poorly, infact, the way I've gotten them tonight looks better than it did before I took the truck apart....
Old 08-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
f.monroe

How did it look before with the bed on . If the body lines of the doors and bed are in line then the frame or something is bent . If the cab appears to tilt down in the front then this would seem to indicate the wrong cab bushings or bad cab mounts in the cab . If it tilts forward you would experience the exact problems you are talking about . Frank
f.monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:35 PM   #7
Russell
Professional Grade

It would appear to be tilting forwards...

Here is a pic of the fender alignment, along with a picture of the fender before I took the GMC apart, and she was still on a 2wd chassis. Also tossed a few more other pictures in
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2005, 10:40 PM   #8
Russell
Professional Grade

PS, don't look at the paint lines, they are very much different. Look at the body lines, and the gaps.

The bottom bolt on the fender is NOT bolted up, cause I broke it off in there (good thing I ain't using these fenders permenantly, lol)

Last edited by Russell; 08-08-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I wish I could see more of the door in this pic. It looks like two things are going on here. The level of the fender is wrong, and your door is too high on the cab. If the door has never been removed from the cab, what about hinge pins and bushings? Are they in good shape? Maybe the hinges are worn.
What I'm saying is just from the pics I think you have more than onew problem. I think part of the problem is the door is up too high....

Old 08-08-2005, 11:32 PM   #10
Russell
Professional Grade

I personally have never removed the door, not to say it hasn't been done by a PO.

I'll snap a picture of the whole door tommorow, its too dark now, and the truck is too close to the wall to get a good pic in the shop.

I think that riptide may be pretty close on what is wrong as far as the shimming goes. I think there may have been a shim on the front cab mounts. However, it is a possiblity that the door may be too high up. I know that the hinge on that side is no good, the upper hinge's spring to keep the door open is broken, so I will be replacing the hinges on the truck.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:44 PM   #11
Roberty
Hot Damn - Here I Am!!

Sounds to me like the cab bushings are shot. This is a common problem on the 67-72 trucks and maybe your truck is just "ahead of the times".
'70 C-10 - My Grandfather bought it new - original un-restored
Roberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:54 PM   #12
Russell
Professional Grade

Brand new poly bushings I may swap them out for rubber ones though, I am hearing nothing but bad about poly. People tell me that they squeak, and ride extremely rough (this truck rides rough enough as it is)
Old 08-09-2005, 10:19 AM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Russell it's nothing more but guessing without looking at the big picture. Sometimes it's just a combination of all the parts and panels needing adjusted.

Pure poly urethane bushing are very form, and do squeak especially when used in leaf springs Poly graphite bushings or graphite impregnated urethane is self lubricating so it doesn't squeak....