The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
ScottH

Need help w/cruise control problem

1976 C10 with 454/400 has a problem maintaining the speed consistantly. If set at 60 it drops to 55 or less than surges back up to speed, drops back down, then accelerates back up, and repeats the cycle.

Can anyone tell me what might be causing this (calibration perhaps)?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

I found that those cruise systems were just like like. Mine did that all the time till I upgraded to an electronic one.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:27 PM   #3
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I found that those cruise systems were just like like. Mine did that all the time till I upgraded to an electronic one.
My '86 does something similar, but not that dramatic. I can't notice a speed change on the speedo, but I can still feel a slight surging - - just enough to be annoying.

Russell, could you explain the electronic cruise upgrade, or is my '86 already electronic. Never really looked at it, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks,
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:56 AM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

I installed a cruise system from an 89 chevy truck. It wouldn't work too well going to a carb, as I have the cable for it running to a spot that just happens to fit good on my TPI throttle body. I am sure that a guy could make a bracket to mount the cable, but it may be a bit challenging. Hookup consisted of a normally open brake switch (I bought a combo one, both normally open for the cruise, and normally closed for the brakes) a VSS signal, power, and ground, along with all of the stalk hookups, of course

The system I've got is a Delphi Electro-matic cruise system.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

My son's truck was doiong this and I found that the speedo was causing it. His speedo head was failing and of course the cruise takes it;s input from the back of the speedometer itself, so it caused the cruise to go nutty. I went to the local Pick-a-Part and got another speedo head, worked like a charm.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:13 PM   #6
ScottH

Thanks to everyone for the info. Piecesparts, do you mean you replaced the entire speedometer? or just part of it?
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:34 AM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

If you take the dash bezel off of your truck the instrument clusters are actually two different pieces. One piece is the speedo and the other is the fuel gauge. Either piece can be replaced in theplastic housing with another instrument. Take the speedo cable off and disconnect the screws that hold it into the housing. I bought a used one at a salvage yard for approximately $40.00 and got lucky the first time with a good one. Your odometer will change with the new unit, so take that thought and consider it, also. The one I got was relatively close to what was on the truck originally, but I didn't care.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:37 PM   #8
Russell
Professional Grade

His 76 won't have a VSS on the back of the speedo, his is an entirely vaccum controlled system. The newer systems with the VSS on the back typically worked a fair bit better
Old 08-19-2005, 12:05 PM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Sorry I thought i read an 86.