The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
muddpile

Air Conditioning for a driver?

Since I am planning on making my truck a daily-mobile after its done, I figure it might as well be comfortable. What does everyone reccommend for an air conditioning setup. I want my dash to look reasonably stock if at all possible, but could care less what it looks like under the hood. Which setup works best, costs least, is the easiest to install, etc. I don't need show quality billet or anything, just something that looks good and performs well too. My truck is not a factory air truck. Thanks!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
mvpco

A/c

I did the same thing in my 72. I went the route of getting all the orig factory take offs, then replacing the bad parts and converting it to R134a.

If I had to do it again I would get Vintage Air's setup. they have it that looks stock. and alot less headachs. If you had a donor truck with factory air then go that route. if not go Vintage Air about $1000 either way in the end.

they even give you the templates to cut out your dash for the factory style vents.

Jeff Smith
Pensacola, FL
http://www.mvpc.com/72chevy.htm
mvpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:15 AM   #3
muddpile

So with vintage air, for $1000 it comes with everything I need to go from no air conditioning to fully running and cooling air conditioning? And does it have the factory ball ducts and center dash duct, and what about the control unit, is there any cutting/filling that would need to be done there? Thanks!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:58 AM   #4
gator2511

They have a system made for our trucks. I just put one in this year and its easy to do. All you need other than that is go have it pumped down and filled with refridgerant. It hooks up to the heater controls already on the dash so you don't have to change anything there. You do have to cut the holes in the dash for the vents but it really looks stock. I have some photos of mine going in if you click on my link.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
Jimbotronics
YA YA

http://vintageair.com/SelectingSystemForYourVehicle.asp

My truck has factoy air but plan on converting over to vintage anyway. My existing set will be forsale but won't be for a good while. I spoke vintage air yesterday, very good people to deal with. The thing I like is that you still get to use the factory ac controls. I sent them an email and here is their response:

"You will need to remove all of your OEM A/C system except for the control panel and air vents. The Sure-Fit system will supply everything to replace your OEM parts. The system cost $1095.00 + freight - about the only thing you will need extra is new heater hoses and a new drive belt for the compressor then have the system charged.

If you have any questions, call our Sales Dept. @ 1.800.862.6658"

'72 SWB - 350 (frame-off resto in progress - donations accepted)

'04 Chevy Avalanche

'03 Cadillac CTS (wife's ride)

Restoration progress - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335707
Jimbotronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:04 AM   #6
smbrouss70

I have the vintage air system in my truck. If you are going for a 100% original look for the dash it is going to cost a little extra for the A/C style controls and the original ball vents on the side. the kit comes with a original style center vent, but the outside ones are not the stock type. But they don't look bad.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:33 AM   #7
mvpco

A/c

I agree with all.
Here is the one for your truck:
http://207.178.203.140/vintcatfull/47.pdf

spend extra time with Vintage Air talking with them and really follow their advice, you wont go wrong. Great Customer service!!

I taked to them after I put the factory setup and now wish in Hind Sight I would have went with them in the 1st place, less stress and headachs. I thought I could do it cheaper but still ended up over $1000 in it.

just my .02 worth.
http://www.mvpc.com/72chevy.htm (to see how I did mine)

Jeff Smith
Pensacola, FL
mvpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:38 AM   #8
Scooter67

Also check www.oldairproducts.com It's what the PO put in my truck and it's worked ok for me.
Scooter67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:45 AM   #9
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Course there is also Classic Auto Air in Florida. They have a main case that you can take apart to service anything inside unlike the Old Air and Vintage Air units that are throw-away. It's what I went with, same price as the others, with a 3 yr warrenty.
Pics in link in my sig.

http://www.classicautoair.com/perfect-fit.asp
Old 08-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #10
smbrouss70

FirstGen has a good point about the servicability of the units. I wish I would have known that you could do that with Classic Auto Air before I bought the Vintage Air system.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:33 PM   #11
see ten
WTB this ad

I have Vintage air in both of my trucks. It comes with everything but the belts and pulleys. It has made my trucks a pleasure to drive when it is hot outside.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:00 PM   #12
sleepyboy
'69 Step

I have vintage air also (sure fit series) in my 69. Just in to shop to get it purged/filled. Excited to see how well it performs...
sleepyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:21 AM   #13
muddpile

Vintage Air sounds like a nice idea to me. I like the words easy and stock look. I still have a couple questions:
1. Being as I don't have a stock air truck, do I need to buy the controls, or does it come with them?
2. I am doing a big tear down/redo on my 72, should I do the air while in the process, or is it easy as an add on afterwards too?
3. Will it bolt on to any small block chevy? I have an 80's burban motor in mine.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2005, 02:09 AM   #14
71RestoRod

There are ways to hook up the non-AC controls but I think you would prefer buying a factory AC control unit. If you go the VA route, tell them you want a unit for a non-factory air truck with factory controls. It’s not a big deal to cut the holes for the factory vents… that’s the route I went.

If you get the factory controls, you will also need to locate or fabricate the bracket that mounts the air controls to the dash. The non-air controls don't use that bracket and when you purchase the air controls it doesn’t come with it.

You can call any of the after market air companies and request the installation instructions. It's a great way to compare the systems, familiarize yourself with them, get an idea of the level of support you're going to get and it helps plan on what if any mods you want to do while you have it torn down.

You have lots of choices on bracket combinations. VA and the others can help you with that also. I wimped out and used the VA Frontrunner serp system on mine... pretty sure all that shiny aluminum makes it go faster...

Last edited by 71RestoRod; 08-18-2005 at 02:11 AM.
71RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:26 AM   #15
mrwilmoth

does vintage ac have a underdash system for our trucks? I have a 67 shortbed gmc
mrwilmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:05 AM   #16
Willy Prost

Excuse me, but you can take apart the main case on an Old Air AC just like Classic air.

I still haven't had time to install my Old Air that I got from GMC Paul a few years ago, but that is an unrelated issue.
Willy Prost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #17
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Ok, how about an HVAC system that doesn't use the suitcase on the firewall? I want a clean set up.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:26 AM   #18
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Well according to Old Air and Vintage Air they both told me 2 months ago that their kits designed for our trucks had sealed cases and could not be serviced. Maybe they use to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Prost
Excuse me, but you can take apart the main case on an Old Air AC just like Classic air.

I still haven't had time to install my Old Air that I got from GMC Paul a few years ago, but that is an unrelated issue.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:29 AM   #19
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Just thought I would mention that CAA does have the exact same kit as VA with the ability to use the factory non air heat controls or they sell the factory AC/heat controls. They also sell the factory vents if you want them. I was just wanting something totally custom - or at least as much as possible.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:38 AM   #20
Olden Days
Living In The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten
I have Vintage air in both of my trucks. It comes with everything but the belts and pulleys. It has made my trucks a pleasure to drive when it is hot outside.
Does it also include compressor mounting brakets?
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #21
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71RestoRod
There are ways to hook up the non-AC controls but I think you would prefer buying a factory AC control unit. If you go the VA route, tell them you want a unit for a non-factory air truck with factory controls. It’s not a big deal to cut the holes for the factory vents… that’s the route I went.

If you get the factory controls, you will also need to locate or fabricate the bracket that mounts the air controls to the dash. The non-air controls don't use that bracket and when you purchase the air controls it doesn’t come with it.

You can call any of the after market air companies and request the installation instructions. It's a great way to compare the systems, familiarize yourself with them, get an idea of the level of support you're going to get and it helps plan on what if any mods you want to do while you have it torn down.

You have lots of choices on bracket combinations. VA and the others can help you with that also. I wimped out and used the VA Frontrunner serp system on mine... pretty sure all that shiny aluminum makes it go faster...
You can buy a kit that is designed to work with your non air controls. This is how I did my K10. I did however buy a kit to use factory air controls on my C10, the bracket for the controls can be purchased from Vintage Air for about $9 I think. They don't tell you that you need the bracket but they will sell it to you if you ask for it.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:07 PM   #22
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpile
Vintage Air sounds like a nice idea to me. I like the words easy and stock look. I still have a couple questions:
1. Being as I don't have a stock air truck, do I need to buy the controls, or does it come with them?
2. I am doing a big tear down/redo on my 72, should I do the air while in the process, or is it easy as an add on afterwards too?
3. Will it bolt on to any small block chevy? I have an 80's burban motor in mine.

Thanks!
1. You can use your controls or drop the extra coin for factory air controls and the mounting bracket.
2. You can do it either way. If you do it during the rebuild you are going to be working around it. If you do it later you will be trying not to mess up what you have already done. If you do it now you can eliminate some of the stress of cutting holes in that fresh painted dash.
3. When you order the kit they will ask you about specifics for your motor and you will get the correct brackets.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:32 PM   #23
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olden Days
Does it also include compressor mounting brakets?
Yes it comes with everything but the belts, pulleys and cool drinks for when you are installing it.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:46 PM   #24
sleepyboy
'69 Step

I used my nonfactory air control unit on my setup. A few things I didn't like was the directions were a little shaky on the vintage air at times, I had to scratch my head. They say to use the original length cables for the controls. I found them to be too bulky and jerky when in the dash, so I cut mine, work ALOT smoother. I didn't like the a/c compressor bracket with the kit. I switched to Zoops billit compressor/alternator bracket. Had a better look and lined up better. One with kit had to be painted.
sleepyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:13 PM   #25
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy
I used my nonfactory air control unit on my setup. A few things I didn't like was the directions were a little shaky on the vintage air at times, I had to scratch my head. They say to use the original length cables for the controls. I found them to be too bulky and jerky when in the dash, so I cut mine, work ALOT smoother. I didn't like the a/c compressor bracket with the kit. I switched to Zoops billit compressor/alternator bracket. Had a better look and lined up better. One with kit had to be painted.
The reason that the bracket comes unpainted is so you can finish it as you wish. This leaves it open for you to paint, powder or chrome it.