The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
horseballz

P/S Conversion Plus Engine Crossmember In A 56

Okay Folks,
I've been doing a bunch of research and still need some answers. We have a power steering box and column from a 70 C/20 to install in our 56-1/2 ton. For various reasons we have determined that we need to change the motor mounts for our 70 -350 from front to side mounts which requires installing a crossmember, probably from Chevy Duty. Here are some of my current questions:
> Will the position of the crossmember installation interfere with the positioning of the typical steering box conversions like the one from brothers?
> Is there a source for just the steering arm (that attaches to the spindle) without the rest of the kit? Spacers are a piece of cake, the little triangle bracket is simple and I've read several comments about low quality of the link and rod ends that come with these kits, so I don't want to bother paying fo these items when they are easily and probably more effectively dealt with on my own.
> I also notice that while other kits specify the need for a 4" long pitman arm, the brothers kit/instructions specifies a 6 3/4" pitman arm. I have also read someones post that a steering box from a 4WD has a more correct pitman arm and I'm wondering if this arm will fit a 2WD box. Why the difference in lengths of pitman arms for different kits and which is the better way to go?
> If we use side engine mounts and keep the original style bellhousing to frame rear mounting will there ever be a need to also install a transmission crossmember if we want to uprade to a T-5 from the heavy duty "Granny Low" 3/4 ton 70 4-speed that we have now? Would the T-5 need the extra support so that we don't "SNAP" the transmission in half or is this not an issue?
I appreciate all replies.
Thank You,
Gene & Jr
horseballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:10 AM   #2
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Lightbulb "Steer Away" from Tubular x-members

IMHO (in my humble opinion) I would "steer away" from doing the steering box exchange as I tried that several (more than 30) years ago, and was disapointed in the outcome. Since then I removed the front axle and have gone to an IFS (Martz Engineering). www.martzengineering.net

But if you are already there and ready to try that type of conversion, then my other thought is to "steer-away" from the "Tubular" crossmembers to mount the 350.

I prefer to tell "truck-nuts (and our customers) to use the weld-in frame mounts. (See Photo) These are designed for the 55-59 Chevy GMC converts to a SBC. (small block chevy). These are very easy to install and locate using the original bellhousing and original transmission pads.

Mock up the SBC to the bell, and then you can put a level on the intake manifold. Get the intake level and mark out where the new weld-in mounts are to be mated to the inside of the frame rails.

If you want to get a price and availability on the weld-in/bolt-in mounts send me an email or visit my web site.

As for the Power Steering Conversion, Do some research on using a Toyota PS Box. This is the latest in that conversion and is much simpler to install as the Kit is better engineered for the 55-59 than the "Old Style" that is still being sold (and that I found to be poorly engineered. That is my two cents worth... rico_bob
Web site: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com
Attached Images

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com

Last edited by rico_bob; 09-07-2005 at 01:12 AM.
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote