The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2005, 10:04 AM   #1
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

wheel bearing questions-front

fellow builders,
i am in the process of putting the front suspension back together i have almost all completed except for the bearings in the front rotors. i know this is a silly question, but here it goes!!!

i am trying to figure out the order & direction (?) the bearings go in the rotors on the front of a '72 chevy 2wd p/u?? i know that the small go in the front (outer) part of the rotor & i know the bigger bearings go in the back (inner) part of the rotors, but the big bearings came with a steel sleeve with them. does this sleeve go in the rotor withthe bearings?? do i still need to install the inner seal?? what direction does the seal go in?? i can't remember how the wheel assy. came off. i feel stupid for asking this, but i know all you guys out there will be kind & help a fellow builder out!! any direction or help in this silly matter will be much appreciated!!!

hope everyone had a great weekend. i finally got to do some more work on the ol' girl!

thanks!!!

rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

New wheel bearings come as an assembly which includes the outer bearing races. The old races should be driven out of the rotors. I use an old screw driver blade for driving out the races, (the large inner race is driven out from the outside and the smaller outer race is driven out from the inside). You will need a bearing race driver or similiar to drive or press the races in with. The races are installed into the rotor so that the thinner lip is outboard.

The lip seal should have a shoulder on it so that it will only fit one way.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:09 PM   #3
walker

Yep, what he said. I drive the new races in with a brass punch. I have used a socket in the past, but softer metals are less prone to damaging the race surface. You will need to install the inner and outer races first, then reclean the surfaces. Then grease and install the inner wheel bearing, then tap in the inner seal, use a hammer and gently tap it in, or use a big socket, pipe, etc that fits around the whole thing, a block of wood even works good. Since your rotors are new, as I recall, they may already have races in them. It is okay to use those races and install your new bearings in them. Then grease your outer bearing and put it in. Then slide the whole assembly over the spindle, install the washer with the keyway on it and axle nut. While spinning the hub torque the axle nut to 15 ft lbs then back off one flat. That is right out of the manual. I have always snugged them with a cresent wrench while spinning and backed off one flat. If when you back them off it doesn't line up with your cotter key, then back off until it does. Since you have chrome dust caps, you may have to sand/file the chrome off the lip that goes into the rotor, or you may end up denting the dust cap. Good luck.
Andy.
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:35 PM   #4
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

andy,
thanks!! i am going to try to follow the directions. i got your pm & i will pm you back.

thanks again all for your help!

rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote