The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Exclamation Installing Glass in Austin

Does anyone know of some good places to get the glass in my cab installed in Austin Tx? I called around and it seemed like alot of places wanted like somewhere around $120! which seems a little pricy for me, but my dad said I have to get it drivable by next weekend

Last edited by Striker169; 08-22-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Striker169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
ChevyMex

I got mine for 102 dlls in Mexico (only the front glass, i have to buy the rubber seal ), but the people from the local store is struggling with cab, they said that the rubber seal is not right for this model but i bought it from LMC. My truck is 1970, do you know if there is a trick installing the windshield glass?

MEstrada
ChevyMex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:37 PM   #3
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyMex
I got mine for 102 dlls in Mexico (only the front glass, i have to buy the rubber seal ), but the people from the local store is struggling with cab, they said that the rubber seal is not right for this model but i bought it from LMC. My truck is 1970, do you know if there is a trick installing the windshield glass?

MEstrada
I dono, when I find someone and they put the glass in I will ask them and watch them to find out.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
pjmoreland

$120 seems like a good deal to me, especially if they install it for you.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:36 AM   #5
pjmoreland

You could try finding a windshield in a wrecking yard.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:30 AM   #6
Striker169
Car O'Holic

No well see I have th glass, and I told them that, but they want $120 JUST it install just the labor no parts no glass none of that.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:36 AM   #7
pjmoreland

Ok, I agree $120 is a bit out of line. Are you sure they understood you already have the glass? It cost me about $120 for the glass AND to have it installed. Of course that was in Colorado where there are lots of windshields sold because of the gravel they dump on the road when it snows.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:45 AM   #8
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

I am going to have a new winshild put in my Burb and got my new rubber from GMC Pauls and also got the trim from him to. I have been told it is best to lay the rubber out in the sun to soffen it up and the glass will go in easier. Anyway, that is what I have been told. For the tinted glass so far I have only checked one place and to come to the house a install would be $225.00. Will be checking other places out. I do not buy from LMC anymore. Had some trouble with them long ago. Gmc Pauls, Wes, and a few othere on here are good sourses for parts you need. Also I have had good luck with Chevy Duty.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86swb
I am going to have a new winshild put in my Burb and got my new rubber from GMC Pauls and also got the trim from him to. I have been told it is best to lay the rubber out in the sun to soffen it up and the glass will go in easier. Anyway, that is what I have been told. For the tinted glass so far I have only checked one place and to come to the house a install would be $225.00. Will be checking other places out. I do not buy from LMC anymore. Had some trouble with them long ago. Gmc Pauls, Wes, and a few othere on here are good sourses for parts you need. Also I have had good luck with Chevy Duty.
How much was the total from GMC Pauls for the Trim and Rubber?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
lowrider79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker169
No well see I have th glass, and I told them that, but they want $120 JUST it install just the labor no parts no glass none of that.
Install it yourself it takes about 20 minutes and is not too difficult. Save the money for gas
lowrider79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:11 PM   #11
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider79
Install it yourself it takes about 20 minutes and is not too difficult. Save the money for gas
TRUST ME with my luck id break the glass
Old 08-23-2005, 10:55 PM   #12
Whynot
Account Suspended

Striker ! I take it your a young guy. Look hun, Im a gal. And if years ago I thought like you. I would never be able to install a glass today. I install all my glass on my trucks. GO 4 IT. Glass does not brake that easy. I can do the windshield by myself also. But doing it, is easier if you have a person on both sides of the windshield. One holding it snug. The other sliding it in the rubber. Find some free time and get dad or a friend to keep a little pressure on it. In case you don't know a truck glass will break,but there a lot stronger then a glass pane in your house. Besides once you do one your be pleased with your self. Good Luck "Tracy"
Whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:04 AM   #13
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker169
How much was the total from GMC Pauls for the Trim and Rubber?
It was $111.00 with the ride. They come seperate. The rubber comes by mail and the chrome is oversize and comes by UPS.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS

Last edited by 86swb; 08-24-2005 at 08:06 AM.
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:50 AM   #14
Goose
Goose

The last time I had a windshield put in was 1999. I had Liberty Glass on Pond Springs do it. At that time, glass plus labor was $250. Since, today's windshields don't use the rubber grommet weather stripping, installers aren't too thrilled to see ya coming. I watched them install mine and it took two guys a pretty good tussle to get that thing in there. They used the string technique. I'm sure I would have broken it. The windshield doesn't just fall in there. I got my rubber weatherstipping from Chevy Duty. Maybe I should've called Whynot ....
Old 08-30-2005, 09:22 AM   #15
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
The last time I had a windshield put in was 1999. I had Liberty Glass on Pond Springs do it. At that time, glass plus labor was $250. Since, today's windshields don't use the rubber grommet weather stripping, installers aren't too thrilled to see ya coming. I watched them install mine and it took two guys a pretty good tussle to get that thing in there. They used the string technique. I'm sure I would have broken it. The windshield doesn't just fall in there. I got my rubber weatherstipping from Chevy Duty. Maybe I should've called Whynot ....
Yeah see I really dont want to do it myself, I ordered the trim and rubber from GMCPaul last wed hopefully it will come wed or thursday this week. But what really bugs me is my friend had his window put in for $60 but he cant find the number anymore! I think im just going to go through the entire phone book this week and find the cheapest place