The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Road Trip

I had hoped to go to HAN in Reno this year, but when the invitation for my neices wedding arrived it seemed my road trip would be to San Diego. I drive my pickup around town daily, but with the way gas prices are long drives are made in the Corolla. I was disapointed in not being able to cruise to Reno, so I came to the conclusion "f*#k the price of gas I'm taking the truck to California".

I hit the road Wednesday morning. Having done a major tune-up, oil change, and full lube job a couple weeks ago (it must have been good coffee 'cause I even packed the wheel bearings) the truck was rearin' to go, so fueled up with a full tank of midgrade fortified with some octaine booster I headed off into the desert. The truck ran flawlessly all weekend. I forget how much better it runs at sea level. All together when I got back home Sunday I'd driven 980 miles. I checked my fuel milage on the first leg. (15.1 mpg not too bad) I hadn't put my 5" drop springs on for a long time, but I thought it would be cool for the trip. I didn't see many of our trucks at all in Cal. maybe four or five. You'll see that many in ten minutes here in Vegas. It was a great trip though, and I'm really glad I took the truck.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
Rdrdave
Broke and still trying

well, I'm glad you had a cool trip. I think the gas is keeping lots of our trucks off the road. I don't care either. I drive it daily 35 miles to and from work with a bad tune to it. I must get 9 mpg. It's a beatup 307 but it's better than the Yukon that breaks when you turn it on! Nice truck by the way.
Rdrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:11 AM   #3
tomatocity

Excellent attitude about your truck and travelling. If we can't afford to drive'm why have'm. Love the stance. Is that a 5" rear coil drop?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:11 AM   #4
TireSmoke420
One of the few GMC'ers

when i drove my truck to and from Iowa and Pennsylvania i got close to 13 mpg and thats even with my big block. not to bad of a ride did it in 12 hours um yea parents do it in 13 or 14 hours and they even speed. i like the night driving though lol

"Young, Dumb And Full Of Cum"
TireSmoke420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:06 AM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

It's good to see somebody driving their truck! Nice truck to drive too.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:17 AM   #6
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
Is that a 5" rear coil drop?
Yes it is. I have three sets of rear springs. 3",4",and 5". I don't use the fives very often, only when the truck's almost empty. I unloaded my tools before the trip. I had the threes on there, and without any load the truck had a rake similar to that of a stinkbug so I swapped out to the fives.