The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
legends

Leafs to trailing arms

I would like to change my leaf spring 71 to trailing arms so i can run bags on the rear. Does anyone sell just the bracket that goes on the crossmember to support the front of the trailing arm? It looks to me like the crossmembers are the same, The leaf spring crosmember has holes for the brackets.
legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:26 AM   #2
TireSmoke420
One of the few GMC'ers

im sure they are the same. im planing on doing same thing. most auto manifacturers use the same frame for all trucks 1/2 to 3/4 and maybe even 1 ton not sure though. its a price thing for them cheaper for them to use all the same frames just with different suspensions on them.

"Young, Dumb And Full Of Cum"
TireSmoke420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:37 AM   #3
68LSS1

I doubt you're going to find anybody that sells new brackets. You can find trailing arm parts but mostly those are meant for cars that go around in a circle and usually have some adjustability. Some of the parts we can use. You can get adjustable brackets at SCP but you'll need two left hand sets. The reason they sell a right and a left is because the l/h have up/down adjustments and the r/h brackets are slotted for in/out. Having said all that take a look at their l/h brackets as I think you could definitely mod them to work and they are pretty cheap. A link might be nice, huh? Or whenever I get around to removing my cross member I will be selling it. But I have lowered the mounts one set of holes and welded them on per the Hot Rods to Hell kit. The reason I'm getting rid of it is I want more adjustment and got a ECE unit from Brothers to modify.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:54 AM   #4
Joe67
67 is sold

If you're going to bag the truck, checkout the custom brace setup from Early Classic

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:08 AM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I did the same excact thing 3 years ago. I found a truck box trailer & robbed all the parts. the X members are the same. those brackets are there to spread the load. you may be OK by boxing the frame if you cant find the brackets.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:36 AM   #6
legends

Thanks for the advice so far. I guess i wasnt real clear in my original post. the brackets im referring to are the locating mounts for the front of the trailing arms. The front bolt of the trailing arm goes through this bracket. I have trailing arms and a crossmember from a donor truck but I thought it would be easier to just add the brackets to my existing leaf spring crossmember rather than removing the whole crossmember from my truck and the donor truck.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:44 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends
Thanks for the advice so far. I guess i wasnt real clear in my original post. the brackets im referring to are the locating mounts for the front of the trailing arms. The front bolt of the trailing arm goes through this bracket. I have trailing arms and a crossmember from a donor truck but I thought it would be easier to just add the brackets to my existing leaf spring crossmember rather than removing the whole crossmember from my truck and the donor truck.
It would be easier. You'll need to find someone parting out a truck that will remove those brackets for you (place an ad in the parts section) or you might try early Classics & see if they'll sell just the brackets w/o the entire c-member. You'll also need the coil spring shock/frame reinforcement c-member as well.

For what it's worth, I like the Early Classics c-member. It's definitely solid & well built.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:23 AM   #8
fade94

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends
Where are you located? I have a complete 69 parts truck with coil rear.
03 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 5 speed 4.10 rear

Last edited by fade94; 08-24-2005 at 11:23 AM.
fade94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
SCOTI

crossmember needed

If he's not interested, I need that rear shock/frame reinforcement crossmember that's riveted @ the coil mount area. I've got everything else for my leaf to coil conversion, just missing that.

PM & let me know what you have . . .....
Thanks, Scot
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #10
legends

Im in PA. I have everything i need, just a matter of moving it from one truck to the other. Looks like a lot of rivets to grind off. Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:47 AM   #11
StingRay

A good air chisel with about 150 psi behind it will pop the heads off in a jiffy. If necessary you can drill the rivet head out and then even a wimpy chisel can knock it off. Use the air chisel with a pointed chisel to drive em out.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:17 PM   #12
fade94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
If he's not interested, I need that rear shock/frame reinforcement crossmember that's riveted @ the coil mount area. I've got everything else for my leaf to coil conversion, just missing that.

PM & let me know what you have . . .....
Thanks, Scot
Bed still on truck. This truck is a long bed, will that make a difference on what you need? I am going to be cutting this frame down to a short bed and putting my 71 stuff on it. UNLESS SOMEONE HAS A SHORT FRAME THEY WANT TO TRADE FOR PARTS???
03 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 5 speed 4.10 rear
fade94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:38 PM   #13
SCOTI

The parts are the same long or short. They're just located in different spots on the frame.

I need the crossmember only (for the shocks).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG