The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2005, 01:09 AM   #1
laplander

Another "What's it worth thread" 72 2wd

One of the students in my class last month pulled up where I was getting gas at in a 72 2wd Blazer. We got to talking about it and he said he got it off of the second owner and used it as his daily driver. Now, living in NM I wasn't prepared when he opened the door and showed me rotted out floorboards, so I had to ask what the heck that was from. He told me the guy he bought it from had owned it since 78 and instead of vaccuming the interior he just hosed it out when it got dirty or muddy. The frame is sold with no rust, the exterior is beat to hell, and only has rust on one quarter panel, but it needs work on the bed floor and front floor boards. I got the idea from talking with him that it could be bought for a decent price, I just don't know what it would be worth. Should I pick it up for the buckets and the frame, or try to get it and repair the floors? What would you think it would be worth for the frame and buckets only? Also, the top has a nice hatch and has only monior damage to it.

Nik

I know this is kind of worthless without pics, but I didn't think whipping my camera out and snapping pics while I was talking to him would look real good.
laplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:34 AM   #2
Huck

What's it worth

A rusted blazer is like an iceberg---you only see the tip and once you go beyond the obvious, it ALWAYS gets much worse. A well rusted out Blazer is never worth more then the sum of the parts. What tends to happen is that once you get into it, you realize what it takes in time and money to make it right---then you let it sit or part it out. I personally would not pay more then $1,000. for any rusted out blazer assuming it is complete with all the original stuff (buckets, console, etc.) Options like tilt wheel help the value butttt----Hardtops with hatches that have cracks---I have 4 of them, how many do you want to buy?? Good frames are not rare and can be had for a couple of hundred. GOOD SOLID STRAIGHT UNRUSTED BODIES---NOW THEY ARE WORTH WHAT THE BUYER IS WILLING TO PAY---THEY ARE A LOT HARDER TO FIND AND I'LL BUY EVERY ONE I CAN FIND WHICH IS FEW!!!
IF you want the blazer to drive around for fun or make it an off roader, get it cheap or forget it. If you want if for the parts, get it cheap or forget it. If you want it for it's investment value---forgetaboutit. If you really want a nice original Blazer, look for one that has NO rust, possibly from the north west, colorado, california, etc. You will be much better off paying $5,000. for an original solid one then $1,000. for one that needs tons of body restoration. My .02 Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:23 AM   #3
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck
A rusted blazer is like an iceberg---you only see the tip and once you go beyond the obvious, it ALWAYS gets much worse. You will be much better off paying $5,000. for an original solid one then $1,000. for one that needs tons of body restoration.
Very true/good advice.
2wd's are a bit harder to find than 4x4's also.

I'd say that if you were buying for a great price or just a parts donor get it.
If your wanting to restore that's of course incouraged just be aware of the road ahead.
Well worth the travels though in my opinion.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:23 AM   #4
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

It is hard to tell by the decription, but I'd say the body sounds like it is shot. The value is in the frame & VIN. If you could pick it up cheap and then do a body swap (swapping vin # too) it could be worth while. I agree that the rust you are seeing is probably just a portion of the actual issues.

I'd hate to see a 2wd get parted. If you don't buy it, find the kids price and let us all know. If the price is reasonable, I'm sure someone will be willing to take it off his hands.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
hotrodhomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncytruck
I'd hate to see a 2wd get parted. If you don't buy it, find the kids price and let us all know. If the price is reasonable, I'm sure someone will be willing to take it off his hands.
I like the way you think!
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

With all of the posters above me
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:01 PM   #7
Big Block
Big Block

I agree with Huck, if you want a nice Blazer go west young man! Got mine in (dry) Gunnison Colorado. A frame off is alot of time and big dollars. You can always use it for a daily beater or part it out. B.B.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:23 PM   #8
BabyBlue
The Peacemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplander
One of the students in my class last month pulled up where I was getting gas at in a 72 2wd Blazer. We got to talking about it and he said he got it off of the second owner and used it as his daily driver. Now, living in NM I wasn't prepared when he opened the door and showed me rotted out floorboards, so I had to ask what the heck that was from. He told me the guy he bought it from had owned it since 78 and instead of vaccuming the interior he just hosed it out when it got dirty or muddy. The frame is sold with no rust, the exterior is beat to hell, and only has rust on one quarter panel, but it needs work on the bed floor and front floor boards. I got the idea from talking with him that it could be bought for a decent price, I just don't know what it would be worth. Should I pick it up for the buckets and the frame, or try to get it and repair the floors? What would you think it would be worth for the frame and buckets only? Also, the top has a nice hatch and has only monior damage to it.

Nik

I know this is kind of worthless without pics, but I didn't think whipping my camera out and snapping pics while I was talking to him would look real good.

Doesn't sound bad, my dad started out with his 2wd blazer somewhere around $1000 and it had rusted floors, rockers, and front fenders...on the plus side it was an air cab (kind of unusual for a 6cyl + 4spd). I'd say it just depends on what you want to do with it, if you want to restore it then be prepared for a long project and lots of money because these 67-72 pickups are getting kind of expensive to restore. If you just want to have it and just fix it up a little while playing with and enjoying it then do that. Just like everyone else says it's all in the eye of the beholder.
79k original miles & being restored

1979 Chevy 2wd Short Wide
aka "Emma-Jayne"
Cordova brown with mandarin guts

2019 Chevy Tahoe LT

Previous rides:
-2002 Firehawk T/A, 2006 Trailblazer SS AWD, 2014 GMC Sierra RCSB, 1971 2wd Blazer, 1996 SNB, 1997 2dr 2wd Yukon, 2001 Silverado RCSB, 2011 Silverado Z71 4x4, 1982 2wd Blazer, 1997 2dr Tahoe, 1970 Chevelle SS, 1972 2wd Blazer, 1986 Silverado Stepside, 1995 S-10, 1985 Silverado SWB.
BabyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:25 PM   #9
laplander

I've got plenty of projects to keep me occupied, just ask my wife, but with this Blazer I was more interested to see if it would be worth buying for the frame since it seems like everyone wants a 2wd. When I talked to him today he hemmed and hawed on the price but he's thinking he'd have to have 500.00 or so. If I can get it for that I'll take the buckets out and post it on here if someone wants a resto project.

Nik
laplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:58 AM   #10
raggedjim

I'd buy them all day long for that price regardless of condition...

But then I'm nutz about the 2wd blazers...

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:27 PM   #11
Huck

Really got to clarify--if they are sport buckets---they are worth half the total. If utility buckets--not exactly. At $500. I would think there is enough there to part out or cherry pick and sell of the remainder. I'd go for it!! Good luck.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote