The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2005, 06:18 PM   #1
1969burb

dropped control arms vs. dropped spindles

just wondering if anyone has modified their stock lower control arms with a step to drop two inches or so. I have a template that I ordered from bill turner ent. a couple years back, with instructions on the modification. I was looking for feedback from someone who might have tried it. I have already done the 1.5 inch crossmember drop with a set of 2 inch drop springs. i'm looking for a little more drop. the plus I see to the control arm mod is that I could use later model discs out of the wrecking yard instead of the 500 dollar disc/spindle kits. anyone have any experience with this? thanks,1969Burb
1969burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:14 PM   #2
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969burb
just wondering if anyone has modified their stock lower control arms with a step to drop two inches or so. I have a template that I ordered from bill turner ent. a couple years back, with instructions on the modification. I was looking for feedback from someone who might have tried it. I have already done the 1.5 inch crossmember drop with a set of 2 inch drop springs. i'm looking for a little more drop. the plus I see to the control arm mod is that I could use later model discs out of the wrecking yard instead of the 500 dollar disc/spindle kits. anyone have any experience with this? thanks,1969Burb
Swapping to discs cost the same whether you utilize the stock arms w/spindles or modify your existing arms so that's a wash. I've installed the stepped arms (Turners) on a 66 truck & it wasn't anything too difficult. The truck rode decent enough (2" stepped arms + 1 coil cut from the stock V8 springs).
For my own personal ride? Drop spindles w/o a doubt. I just like the better engineering they offer.
Both will work though. So, if you can fab . . ......
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
1969burb

thanks for replying, scoti. I probably didn't explain my scenario all that well. I just figure if I spring for the spindles it will be with the discs at the same time. If I go the control arm route that would let me use a standard spindle and I would go the low buck route using 71 to 87 pieces off of a donor. It all comes down to $$. my concern about the control arms are ride quality and any ill handling characteristics. I'm leaning towards the spindles, its just the cheap guy in me wanting to check out all the possibilities. thanks again!
1969burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:23 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969burb
.... If I go the control arm route that would let me use a standard spindle and I would go the low buck route using 71 to 87 pieces off of a donor. It all comes down to $$ .....
You can use those same "low buck" donor parts w/dropped spindles. I recently picked up a set of 3" drop spindles for a fellow board member for $125 delivered off of e-bay. I know my old neighbor spent double that getting his Turner dropped a-arms.

Just because you spend less initially does not always make it cheaper to do.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:41 AM   #5
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
Just because you spend less initially does not always make it cheaper to do.

Amen, Wiser words are seldom spoken!!!

I have learned that lesson time and again.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:30 AM   #6
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

I went with a static 7" front 8" rear drop to be real low and now I went to bags in the driveway. So I take that phrase to heart. This board helped a lot!