The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
FUNMUDDER
Account Suspended

Question Does this sound like a good deal?

Does it sound like a good deal to you guys? Its been advertised 2 times in local classifieds.

"1968 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 305 V6, 17 inch tires, factory jack, runs good, no rust, 4-speed, 8 foot plow, new brakes, needs transfer case fixed and paint. Good condition, rare truck. $3000 firm"

Maybe 20-2500 but 3 grand? And "no rust" doesnt sound remotely right if it has been up here for any amount of time. Just wondering.
Jake
Old 08-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
chevyfarmer

Gas is 2.75 a gallon here, is he going to pay you the money to take it??? just kidding. It sounds a little steep to me , (what is the 17 inch tires thing, suppose to be factory or aftermarket) If it was rust free (which we are both doubting that it is) it might be worth that, just my .02 oh and that whole this thread is worthless without pics thing too....
72 2wd Blazer project 454 5 speed

Last edited by chevyfarmer; 08-25-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
shifty
Questionable

"no rust"

MY ASS. Go there, take a magnet with you and show him the rust. Explain how much you're gonna hafta put into fixing it and offer $2000.

There's no way a truck in Maine doesn't have rust on it, especially if it was used for plowing - unless he did a rotie resto on it.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
1969 GMC

Someone ran the Rockwell low on gear oil I'm guessing...seems to be a common problem (well, I did it to mine, OOPS), but it probably needs a total rebuild and isn't streetable.
Swapping to a NP205 isn't that hard. Then again, if they emphasized the fact that they think its a RARE truck, they think its worth more than it is, and then it has a plow (ugh) on it. Check the frame for straightness. Good luck, and pics would be nice.

EDIT: 17" tires are a little on the small side, too. I bet they'd even make 3.07's pull like a tractor

Last edited by 1969 GMC; 08-25-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
masterbeavis
Having issues

I say the truck isnt worth more than 1500-2000 in its current condition. Plow trucks are ran hard and put away wet, despite what the owner says" its only plowed our driveway on sundays on the way to church...". I agree with the others about checking for bondo, and fubard frame. If you dont need the plow, tell the owner to take it off and sell seperate. I've seen nasty frame mods to allow a plow frame to mate to the frame. Take a digi with you and take LOTS of pics. esp of underside, and inareas typically not seen. If its been in the paper for a while, chances are he wants more than what the lookie lous want to pay for it. If you go to look at it, do not bring money for it.

Oh, and what makes this truck so rare anyways?

The Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
Old 08-25-2005, 09:55 PM   #6
JIMs70GMC
user # 2756

I bet those rims are the split style. My 70 had a plow a long time ago, and there's two big brackets welded to the frame, plus it had damage on the pass side that a PO tried to weld up. So look closely.
1986 M1031 6.2 diesel, TH400/NP205 locker in the rear and a LS in the front, all stock for now.....
1986 K30, 350/400/205 dana 60 and 14 bolt. I kept the drivetrain. Body/bad and chassis are gone.
1981 K30, 350/465/205 dana 60 and dually 14 bolt. Has a G80, and a flat bed. Going to replace the flat bed.

1985 K20, 350/400/208 10 bolt and SF 14 bolt. I wonder where I can find some 1 tons. Hmmmmm
Old 08-25-2005, 10:15 PM   #7
jc

go look......if it is rust free and not hacked, defenatly worth $3000 .
if its original paint that is a big plus, you can tell for sure what kinda condition the sheet metal is in.

it might be rust free , but it could also be dented to hell..
maybe its only been in the north east for acouple years . i say go look!!
and get pics!!!

i had no problem selling my 72 for 3600 with trans issues, not 1000% rust free but close. and they came down from vermont. and that truck was origanally from texas 7 years ago.

my point being, seeing is beleiving. rust free 68 4x4 $3000 sounds great
add that truck up $$ in rust free pieces than add the 4x4 running gear.
1967 c-10 lwb (THE FARMERS DAUGHTER)
Old 08-26-2005, 08:46 AM   #8
FUNMUDDER
Account Suspended

Oh i'm not going to look at it.One its way way waaaayyyyyyyyy out of my price range, two i have hardly any money, and three, I doubt if I would ever get to go look at it unless if I had my lisence . Its just been in there twice so I thought i'd ask you guys. I thought it sounded pricey and I bet you anything that the truck is a bit rusty. Oh well. Keep looking i guess
Old 08-26-2005, 09:31 AM   #9
Jakes-66-K10

Good deals do exist though, if the truck came from Nevada or Arizona it really could be "rust free". I grabbed this gem for $2200, it's the most "rust free" I've ever seen...
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2005, 10:12 AM   #10
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

I've lived in this region forever and if it's a native truck, it's unlikely it's rust-free unless completely redone. But having dealt with many Yankee sellers over the years I've never met one that was not honest in his/her description. Maybe I'm lucky but I think it has to do with a good "puritan" upbringing. So I won't call the seller a liar based upon predjudices of what a "rust-belt" vehicle "should" be.

having said that, the transfer case issue would make me say it's not worth 3K. However the utility value of the plow if it's a commercial Fisher plow and correctly installed (engineered bolt-on, versus backyard engineered cobbled mess) can easily make up for this.

As for the plow decreasing a truck's value I argue it does not assuming only ordinary wear and tear. It's a truck, designed for work, bought for utility value, engineered to perform under workmanlike conditions. I'd argue, under this yardstick of measure, a truck which has been re-engineered to the extent it has diminished utilitarian value, has also a decreased street value.

Of course this comes from a guy who parks it during the summer (in favor of a one-ton 2wd dually) , and runs it only in the winter.
Attached Images

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
Old 08-26-2005, 10:27 AM   #11
junkyardjohn

BOY YOU GUYS ARE SOME TOUGH CUSTOMERS. WITH SUCH A CRUMMY ATTITUDES, YOU GUYS SHOULDN'T BE LOOKING AT ANY USED VEHICALS, BECAUSE THE OWNER IS NO DOUBT LYING. IT PROBABLY HAS A ZILLION MILES ON IT, IT'S SUPER RUSTY, & HAS HAD ABSOLUTELY NO PREVENTATIVE MATAINANCE. HELL IT PROBABLY HAS 37 YEAR OLD OIL IN IT. MAYBE THAT TRUCK IS A P.O.S. BUT YOU GUYS NEVER ONCE CONCIDERED THAT MAYBE THIS SELLER ISN'T A LIAR & A THEIF THATS TRYING TO PULL A FAST ONE, & IS JUST TRYING TO SELL A NICE OLD TRUCK. IN CASE ANY OF YOU TRUCK CRITICS ARE WONDERING.... THIS IS THE EXACT REASON I JUST SOLD MY 71 CST BLAZER ON EBAY WITHOUT OFFERRING IT HERE FIRST. (IT SOLD FOR THE "BUY IT NOW" PRICE TO THE FIRST PERSON TO LOOK AT IT) I SURE DON'T NEED A BUNCH OF WOULD BE TRUCK EXPERTS PICKING APART & POINTING OUT ALL THE FLAWS. MAN ... JUST THINK WHAT TOUGH CRITICS YOU GUYS WOULD BE IF YOU ACTUALLY HAD A PICTURE TO PICK APART.
(QUOTE)"no rust"
MY ASS. Go there, take a magnet with you and show him the rust. Explain how much you're gonna hafta put into fixing it and offer $2000.(QUOTE)
IF A PERSON SHOWED UP TO LOOK AT SOMETHING I HAD FOR SALE, WITH AN SH!TTY ATTITUDE LIKE THAT....... & ASSUMED THAT I WAS A LIAR....WELL LETS JUST SAY THAT IF THEY WERE ABLE TO MOVE UNDER THERE OWN POWER... THEY'D BE LEAVING IN A MATTER OF SECONDS . JUST BECAUSE SOME MORON HAS ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY SOMETHING OF MINE, DOESN'T MEAN HE CAN. LIFE IS MUCH TO SHORT TO SUROUND YOURSELF WITH IDIOTS. & THAT MEANS BUYING, SELLING OR JUST GOING OUT FOR A BEER ON SATURDAY NIGHT. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
Old 08-26-2005, 10:42 AM   #12
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPNE
...So I won't call the seller a liar based upon predjudices of what a "rust-belt" vehicle "should" be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjohn
...BUT YOU GUYS NEVER ONCE CONCIDERED THAT MAYBE THIS SELLER ISN'T A LIAR & A THEIF THATS TRYING TO PULL A FAST ONE, & IS JUST TRYING TO SELL A NICE OLD TRUCK. ... JOHN
Holy sheet JYJ, twice in one week we agree. Though I was a bit more subtle about it

Old 08-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #13
FUNMUDDER
Account Suspended

Well, I hate to burst your bubble and don't mean to be mean, but it is downeast, and they beat the living sh*t out of there stuff down there, and plus it is right on the water where theres lots of salt in the air, so it most likely is a piece of junk. And yes there are a lot of people down there that aren't exactly honest.

That post was harsh. I know the truth doesn't always sound good, but these guys are most likely right. You can always go by what someone says, you have to look yourself.
And besides, would you want your son or daughter to be riding around in some POS as their first car just because their dad or someone they know didn't pick apart the problems with it, and then a couple months down the road have them wrap it around a tree and kill themselves? Yeah they may not be a good explanation but it is blunt and it is true. These guys are right. They live in the real-world and know whats what. But, then again, you may be right, it may be a helluva deal, but who would know until you went to look at it. And it sounds to me like you don't have many buddies on this board. Just IMO.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:15 AM   #14
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNMUDDER
Well, I hate to burst your bubble and don't mean to be mean, but it is downeast, and they beat the living sh*t out of there stuff down there, and plus it is right on the water where theres lots of salt in the air, so it most likely is a piece of junk. And yes there are a lot of people down there that aren't exactly honest.

That post was harsh. I know the truth doesn't always sound good, but these guys are most likely right. You can always go by what someone says, you have to look yourself.
And besides, would you want your son or daughter to be riding around in some POS as their first car just because their dad or someone they know didn't pick apart the problems with it, and then a couple months down the road have them wrap it around a tree and kill themselves? Yeah they may not be a good explanation but it is blunt and it is true. These guys are right. They live in the real-world and know whats what. But, then again, you may be right, it may be a helluva deal, but who would know until you went to look at it. And it sounds to me like you don't have many buddies on this board. Just IMO.
YOU SOUND LIKE JUST THE KIND OF PERSON THAT SHOULD BE DISHING OUT ADVICE.... A KID THATS NOT OLD ENOUGH TO DRIVE, & DOESN'T HAVE ANY MONEY ANYHOW. (MAYBE IN 10 OR 20 YEARS YOU'LL FEEL DIFFERENT.) YEP YOU'RE JUST THE KIND OF PERSON I WANT WAISTING MY TIME BY LOOKING AT MY STUFF & CRITICING IT. IF YOU THINK THATS THE WAY THE REAL WORLD WORKS..... WELL I FEEL REALLY REALLY SORRY FOR YOU. WITH AN ATTITUDE LIKE YOURS .. YOU BETTER TAKE FOUR OR FIVE PEOPLE WITH YOU TO LOOK AT TRUCKS FOR SALE ..... OR INVEST IN A REALLY GOOD DENTAL PLAN.
(QUOTE BY FUNMUDLER)Oh i'm not going to look at it.One its way way waaaayyyyyyyyy out of my price range, two i have hardly any money, and three, I doubt if I would ever get to go look at it unless if I had my lisence (QUOTE) EXACTLY WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS POST THEN????
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 08-26-2005 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #15
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNMUDDER

I didn't see any indication from anybody's posts (pro or con) that you should take it at face value and buy it sight unseen/uninspected. I won't speak for JYJ, but my point was lets "presume honesty until proven otherwise". Just as America's system of justice presumes innocence over guilt. Maybe vigilante justice is making a comeback?

Anyway, just as its unfair to judge sight unseen, it's really stupid to argue over a truck noone has seen or driven (to my knowledge).

I don't know who the "many buddies" remark was directed towards, but JYJ and I have been at odds on many occasions and I hold no grudges. I respect the fact I know where he stands on issues, no mistaking that! As for myself, everybody hate me.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:24 AM   #16
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

If it's in the local classifieds you should take a trip this saturday to see what it looks like for sure and take some pics! The 17 inch tire could be a type-o and it should be 17 inch rim maybe??? The truck may be from arizona, the guy slapped a plow on it, used it once, blew the transfer case, and now has a super nice original truck for sale. OR, it could be an all original, 100% rust bucket with a homemade plow. As I've said before, EVERYONE is entitled to THEIR OPINION whether YOU like it or not! If a questions is asked, answers will be given, and if you really just can't stand the reply, whine to a MOD to get the thread closed, but until such time, quit whining about what other people post, it's OPINIONS PEOPLE!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
Old 08-26-2005, 05:56 PM   #17
FUNMUDDER
Account Suspended

Moderator, can you close this thread before its gets out of hand?
Old 08-26-2005, 06:34 PM   #18
Robert1970C20rstbukt

This guy was just asking if it was a GOOD DEAL, not to have anybody ***** about it. Come on, even I knew that and i'm 17!!!!!!!!!! With the broken T-case, that would definetly drop the value because you can't use the 4 wheel till you fix it. I'd offer 1000-1500 depending on the "no rust" condition. If the rims are original they'd definetly have to be swapped out because the skinny tires for 17" rims aren't being made anymore.

1984 Chevrolet C30 welding truck 454/SM465
1977 GMC C15 pickup 350/TH350
1970 Chevrolet C20 pickup 350/TH400
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 454/TH350
1969 GMC 8500 478M V6/5 spd winch truck

Last edited by Robert1970C20rstbukt; 08-26-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:45 PM   #19
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

K guys.. let it go and move on
Old 08-26-2005, 06:56 PM   #20
krue
Designated A-hole!

Funmudder if you want this thread to go away, just delete the first post you made to it and it will disappear.

Which in my opinion is a good idea.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"

Last edited by krue; 08-26-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:08 PM   #21
krue
Designated A-hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjohn
BOY YOU GUYS ARE SOME TOUGH CUSTOMERS. WITH SUCH A CRUMMY ATTITUDES, YOU GUYS SHOULDN'T BE LOOKING AT ANY USED VEHICALS, BECAUSE THE OWNER IS NO DOUBT LYING. IT PROBABLY HAS A ZILLION MILES ON IT, IT'S SUPER RUSTY, & HAS HAD ABSOLUTELY NO PREVENTATIVE MATAINANCE. HELL IT PROBABLY HAS 37 YEAR OLD OIL IN IT. MAYBE THAT TRUCK IS A P.O.S. BUT YOU GUYS NEVER ONCE CONCIDERED THAT MAYBE THIS SELLER ISN'T A LIAR & A THEIF THATS TRYING TO PULL A FAST ONE, & IS JUST TRYING TO SELL A NICE OLD TRUCK. IN CASE ANY OF YOU TRUCK CRITICS ARE WONDERING.... THIS IS THE EXACT REASON I JUST SOLD MY 71 CST BLAZER ON EBAY WITHOUT OFFERRING IT HERE FIRST. (IT SOLD FOR THE "BUY IT NOW" PRICE TO THE FIRST PERSON TO LOOK AT IT) I SURE DON'T NEED A BUNCH OF WOULD BE TRUCK EXPERTS PICKING APART & POINTING OUT ALL THE FLAWS. MAN ... JUST THINK WHAT TOUGH CRITICS YOU GUYS WOULD BE IF YOU ACTUALLY HAD A PICTURE TO PICK APART.

IF A PERSON SHOWED UP TO LOOK AT SOMETHING I HAD FOR SALE, WITH AN SH!TTY ATTITUDE LIKE THAT....... & ASSUMED THAT I WAS A LIAR....WELL LETS JUST SAY THAT IF THEY WERE ABLE TO MOVE UNDER THERE OWN POWER... THEY'D BE LEAVING IN A MATTER OF SECONDS . JUST BECAUSE SOME MORON HAS ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY SOMETHING OF MINE, DOESN'T MEAN HE CAN. LIFE IS MUCH TO SHORT TO SUROUND YOURSELF WITH IDIOTS. & THAT MEANS BUYING, SELLING OR JUST GOING OUT FOR A BEER ON SATURDAY NIGHT. JOHN
So the guy can't criticize a truck, but you can't show him the courtesy you want him to show? Lead by example.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 08-26-2005, 07:29 PM   #22
lowrider79

I live in Minnesota land of snow, cold, salt and rust. But I was just given a 1947 Chevy Coupe complete. It also has the original paint and get this part no rust. There are good deals out there seeing is believeing. I agree with Junkyardjohn. Until you see it you don't know what it is. Maybe it's just a good deal, they are out there.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:16 PM   #23
BillGent
Pretty But Evil Doggy Woggy.

Sang to the tune of "My Favorite Things" from the Musical "The Sound Of Music"

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on Kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens...people who post without acid replys.. these are a few of my favorite guys... When-You're-Nicer....It-is-better... than showing your buuuuutt... but just keep it up and you'll see what it's like... to get a hard boooooot... You big schmuuuuuuuck!
Closed Thread