The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2005, 01:18 AM   #1
navybear70
hometown heroes!

motor flush, or not?

Should I 5-minute motor flush my motor, or just do it slowly with Marvel Mystery Oil? I've always had good luck with 5-minute, and I was thinking I could put some Lucas in the oil after. Good ideas?

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee

"Never give up ground you've already taken." -Unknown
navybear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:32 AM   #2
iceman7329
Account Suspended

Whats a 5-minute flush? I would like to know please.
iceman7329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:32 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Personally, I would NEVER put that stuff in my engine. You chainge your oil and do all this work and stuff to NOT have your oil break down...only to dump solvent in there and break it down to where it has the lubricating propertied of muddy water.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
cdowns

marvel mystery oil has solved alot of problems for me on engines that have sat for as long as 50years// it's not a cure all but a good first step as far as nondestructive cleaning inside an engines/// i read one of those cans of 5minute change and it just scared me,//
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:57 AM   #5
motocrosschump

B-12.

I have known some guys put a quart of diesel in their oil at oil change.
1969 Chevelle 2 door 350/3
motocrosschump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
lowrider79

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocrosschump
B-12.

I have known some guys put a quart of diesel in their oil at oil change.
Y? I work in Oil Refineries and I just can't think of a good reason to put diesel in your oil. The lifters will fill up with them and it will be there after the oil is changed. What is the reason for doing this?
lowrider79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #7
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

You put diesel or 5 minute motor flush in the oil before a oil change to flush the engine. You drain one quart and put in one quart of diesel and let it run for 5 minutes then let it sit until cool and change oil and filter as usual. I have done it with several motors over the years and have never had a problem with them. As to the lifters still having diesel in them it would a very minute amount and certainly no more than the amount of gas that often leaks into the oil of a old motor.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:44 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

diesel would be better than the solvents in the motor flush, but I still don't recomend it personally.
At work it is a shop rule, no solvents of any kind go in the oil...including fuel. Too much of a liability.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:02 PM   #9
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

If you break any sludge loose it will stick to your pickup screen. I recommend changing your oil with it as hot as you can stand to work on it, that way all the impurities are still suspended in the oil and not settled to the bottom of the pan.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
Longhorn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakysnake
If you break any sludge loose it will stick to your pickup screen. I recommend changing your oil with it as hot as you can stand to work on it, that way all the impurities are still suspended in the oil and not settled to the bottom of the pan.
Doing this will do more than you'd imagine.
And the pick up screen statement is pretty acurate too.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:07 PM   #11
68Stepbed

I used that 5-min flush in an old motor once and never had a problem. I would only do it once though.

Some REALLY REALLY good stuff if you can find it is J-B(Justice Bros.) oil treatment.
THIS STUFF WORKS!! It kicks the snot out of MMO. You don't replace anything with it, you add it to your regular oil. The shop that recommended it to me swears by it.

They put some in a guys Suburban that had a real bad knock in it. They said they wouldn't have trusted this thing out of the parking lot it was knocking so bad. The guy just didn't want to spend the money on a new engine. They said the guy came back later and said it quit knocking and smoking after about 2 or 3 miles down the road. That was three or four months ago and he's still driving it around.

It has some kind of metal conditioner in it that bonds to the metal sufaces. I put it in my engine and highly recommend it. Lucas Oil dosen't hold a candle to this stuff. You can only get it from independent shops and dealers. They don't distribute it through chain stores.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:16 AM   #12
Nelson

I read somewhere on the net that Lucus adds air bubbles to your oil making it foam, thus not sticks to critical engine parts. Not sure how true it is.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
navybear70
hometown heroes!

I believe that, after seeing the little Lucas try-me thingie in the stores. If you turn the handle fast enough, it bubbles up pretty bad. I wasn't sure wether that was just because of the gears, or what. So I guess the general public here says to go with just an oil additive, unless you use the cleaner, drop the pan & clean it out afterwords. The motor flush should break everything down enough that it shouldn't get caught up in the screen.
Since I've got a soft knock-ping after the motor warms up anyways, I'll probably just flush it out, clean out the pan and then add this J-B if I can find it. If not, I'll check the others. Thanks for all the advice!

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee

"Never give up ground you've already taken." -Unknown
navybear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:57 PM   #14
tomatocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed
You can only get it from independent shops and dealers. They don't distribute it through chain stores.
NAPA sells JB products if you believe their customers. I might try this if I can get a good definition of what all their different though similar products do. I have a intermittent noisy lifter and want to give this a chance before I hve to pull the heads off and replce the lifters.