The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
Skruffy

New here seeking input

Howdy, y'all.

I'm new here and was hoping to see what y'all thought. I love the 67-72 and have accumulated a few but I am just too busy to do what I want to with them and I am restoring an old house at the same time.

I have a 71 Cheyenne Super Long Fleet(Texas truck stored last 10 years), 68 Short Fleet w/ factory air, 72 Short Fleet (No air), 72 Cheyenne Super(Parts truck or extensive restoration due to cancer - w?leaf springs), 70 longbed made into a trailer.

Anyway, I have a good sized garage but this is ridiculous.

All of the trucks are basically project trucks even though a couple run or could be made to run.

What I'm wondering is how much work do you think I should do before trying to sell them> For example, the engine on the 71 super is lunched and it needs new ball joints, tie rods, etc. but it could be a good driver if that was done. There is no rust in floor or cab corners but has a pinhole in one rocker.

Now, if I were looking to buy one I would just as soon have it at a lower price and do everything the way I want to do it, but some people would pay more to have something safe to drive right away.

What do you all think? Also, I didn't think they made too many Supers in 71, anybody know?

Oh yeah, I also have a cruise control setup I bought about 10 years ago, and idea what it's worth?

Thanks!
Skruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
Custom_C5

Welcome to the board, great infor here! do you have pictures of your projects?

I might be interested on the cruise control setup if you figure out a price for it? post pics pf it to see if is original.
Custom_C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

My advice is sell the '71 and '72's.

Your 68 Short Fleet w/ factory air should be worthy restoring. A lot of folks prefer the style of it's hood over all the later models and since it has air that's a real bonus.

OR

Sell the 68 because someone will want it for the reasons listed above. And restore one of the '71 or '72's.

It really depends on what you want from your truck. Are you going to restore and drive it or restore and sell it? Are you going to show it or use it like a truck? If you can answer both questions you'll be able to make a better decision.
Old Yeller 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
Skruffy

You're right. My plan was to do the 71 Super as a stock resto and do the 72 short fleet as a custom to my liking, but then I bought the 68 because I like the front end, etc. etc.

I'm just trying to decide whether to sell as-is or do some work and get them at least driveable. I've also got to decide whether to sell the 72 Super as a parts truck or part it myself.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:52 PM   #5
68 Stepside
huh?

Can't help on prices, but shortbeds are always gonna bring more money regardless, and welcome to the board from Central IL, where are you exactly?
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay

Last edited by 68 Stepside; 09-04-2005 at 09:53 PM.
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:02 PM   #6
Skruffy

I'm about a half hour south of Champaign. I read in some book years ago that they didn't make that many Supers in 71, but maybe I'm dreaming. I think the problem is that I don't want to get rid of anything. LOL
Old 09-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Will the engine in the '71 Super start or is it too ruined to run?

Since you're partial to the '68 I'd say the '72 short fleet needs to go. You'll probably never get around to restoring it.

Concerning the '72 parts truck if you have the time, I'd probably keep it and part it out. I think you'll find quite a market for it on the 67-72 parts board. If you start pulling off a few parts here and there, take a photo and post it with a price you'll be able to fund your '68 resto with the money you'll make.
Old Yeller 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:41 PM   #8
Skruffy

The engine in the 71 Super won't start. It quit when I was driving it; made some ugly noises. I do have a Goodwrench motor that came out of the 70 I had that burned and was thinking of putting it in, going through the front end (Ball joints, tie rods, etc.) and selling it as an excellent driver. I just question if I would recoup the additional investment.

My plan was to do the 72 Short and save the 68 Short, but I'm kidding myself if I think I'll ever get to it. The 72 doesn't have air but I have an extra system and the 72 Super parts truck has air so I could add it.

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. When I get a chance I'll post some pics.