The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #1
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

? for guys with rear discs

I put a kit on my Sub's 12-bolt last weekend, along with a disc/disc proportioning valve. In the process I also discovered my master cylinder was bad, so I replaced that. So anyone with rear discs, is your pedal soft? Mine is softer than before, but it stops way better, also. I may need to bleed some more, but I was wondering if a soft pedal is pretty much normal with rear discs or not. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
86 GMG

when you say "soft" do you really mean easy b/c i notice the pedal felt diffrent in my truck but not really soft so i have kind of just chalked it up to the fact it doesnt take as much force from me to stop the land sled anymore
Old 09-07-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

Well, I can push the pedal all the way to the floor if I want to, but the truck will stop easily before it hits the floor. I may try to bleed it some more. I had the whole system apart, there is probably still some air in there someplace....

Last edited by Bad Karma; 09-07-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
bigarmzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma
I put a kit on my Sub's 12-bolt last weekend, along with a disc/disc proportioning valve. In the process I also discovered my master cylinder was bad, so I replaced that. So anyone with rear discs, is your pedal soft? Mine is softer than before, but it stops way better, also. I may need to bleed some more, but I was wondering if a soft pedal is pretty much normal with rear discs or not. Thanks!

where did you get your disc conversion kit at? did you buy calipers from something else?

do you like the quality? was it an easy install?

alot of questions, i know, but i think many of us are considering this
Old 09-07-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
75stepside
*Proud Member*

i too have rear disc setup and the disc/disc proportioning valve and my truck's petal doesn't seem soft at all... probably just a lil air in the lines...

how'd your install go?
75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #6
bigarmzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75stepside
i too have rear disc setup and the disc/disc proportioning valve and my truck's petal doesn't seem soft at all... probably just a lil air in the lines...

how'd your install go?
where'd you get yours at 75stepside?...what do you think of there quality? easy install?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #7
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

I got the kit (non-parking brake version) from www.blackwidowperformance.com. Really cool guys, great to deal with. Install was pretty easy, although I did have a problem with one of the banjo fittings leaking, so I replaced the braided lines from the kit with hard line and front brake hoses from a Suburban application, which solved the leaking problem. Not sure why the original banjo fitting wouldn't seal

The quality of the kit is good, 3/8 steel brackets, rotors fit the axles perfectly. Only thing I noticed was that the pads sit above the rotor by about 3/16" or so, but it doesn't affect the braking that I can tell. The truck stops great, I really like how it works (even with the soft pedal). I got the disc/disc proportioning valve from www.performanceonline.com, nice piece, super-fast shipping. Installing it wasn't fun, though.

Other stuff I noticed, the bolts supplied with the kit were too long for my application, but a quick trip the the hardware store fixed that. Also, I have steel chrome wagon wheels, and the added thickness of the rotor makes for a little less thread engagement on the lug nuts. Nothing to worry about for mine, but if I had aluminum wheels, I would have installed longer wheel studs.

Overall, I am very happy with the kit, and if I can get the air out of my lines, it will be even better.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:13 PM   #8
75stepside
*Proud Member*

i did 2 rear disc fabs for my project... long story...
first off, i have a chevelle axle under the rear of my stepside... it's got the smaller GM bolt pattern on the rear 5x4.75"

first set was rear discs from a 98-01 camaro... i custom fabbed the brackets and made them work... the setup was beautiful, with 12" discs... beautiful, until i tried to mount my 15" wheels... doh!

back to the drawing board, i made some phone calls and figured out that the previous generation of camaro's used 11.5" rotors... so i went with the complete setup from the rear of a 93-97 camaro, with great results... the axle brackets from the camaro fix, and bolted directly up to the chevelle axle and i wish i woulda known that to begin w/.... woulda saved me 6 weeks! but, overall, after i got my new porportioning valve (recommended by someone on this board) from http://www.inlinetube.com/ i was all set. the setup works great!

75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #9
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

Forgot to mention, the reason I replaced the braided lines completely was because I couldn't find a banjo-to-AN adapter locally, and I really wanted to get the truck back together. The braided lines in the kit have a 3/16 flare to -3 AN (I think) adapter on one end so it threads into the stock T-fitting, and then the banjo to -3 AN fitting on the other end, with the -3 AN braided line in the middle (obviously ). To use the braided lines, you have to move the T-fitting to the top of the diff so it's centered on the axle, stock position is off to one side. My Sub is not lowered, so I don't know if moving the T-fitting would cause clearance issues or not...
Old 09-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #10
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

75stepside, that looks great! The rotors from my kit were double drilled for 5 on 5 and one pattern a little smaller, must be 5 on 4.75... Here's an actual pic of the kit I received (they asked me if they could use it at a hot rod show before they sent it to me).
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 PM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma
.....Only thing I noticed was that the pads sit above the rotor by about 3/16" or so, but it doesn't affect the braking that I can tell......
It will cause trouble as the pads wear. I had a similiar problem with an old SSBC kit. When the pads wore down they started growling, and sticking because the pads hung over the top of the rotor. I pulled the pads and ground them back at an angle to fix the problem. I found out later that SSBC changed the braclets to eliminate the problem....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:01 PM   #12
bigarmzz

anyone on here used this board members stuff?

http://www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com/index7.html

looks decent enough....
Old 09-08-2005, 10:49 AM   #13
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
It will cause trouble as the pads wear. I had a similiar problem with an old SSBC kit. When the pads wore down they started growling, and sticking because the pads hung over the top of the rotor. I pulled the pads and ground them back at an angle to fix the problem. I found out later that SSBC changed the braclets to eliminate the problem....
Thanks, that's good to know. I will keep an eye on them and fix them when they give me trouble.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #14
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Here you go. This is a article I was writting for Jeff to put on www.73-87.com but never sent to him. I just uploaded the whole folder so everything is in it I was going to use for his site. I haven't read it or done anything to it since writting it long ago. Anyway, there is a link in the article to download a zip file of the fullsize templates. In the zip file it will have instructions on how to print them out so they will be the correct size. Take my word for it, if you can find someone who has a CNC or laser cutter, have them cut. It's a PITA to do it the hard way like I did.

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/chas...n/reardisc.htm

Oh, and Jeff, you can have all this if you still want it. Everything I have on it is in the disc folder.

Mike

Last edited by swervin ervin; 09-09-2005 at 06:23 PM.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:58 PM   #15
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
Oh, and Jeff, you can have all this if you still want it. Everything I have on it is in the disc folder.

Mike
Great article Mike, I will get a link in the garage section tonight for it. I was waiting for you to chime into this thread.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:01 PM   #16
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Jeff, move it to a folder of your choice. I think it would look a little strange in the mike directory.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:44 AM   #17
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
Jeff, move it to a folder of your choice. I think it would look a little strange in the mike directory.
Already done...

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/chas...n/reardisc.htm

Hope you don't mind, but I fixed some spelling errors and changed the non 73-87 links to open in a new window. Also, can you update your post with the original link to point to the new location? Just want to avoid any confusion for others.

Last edited by bigblock73; 09-09-2005 at 08:45 AM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:04 PM   #18
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

I just put disc onto my Dana60. This is under a 92 SWB truck. I think you need to bleed more. My pedal is very solid!! Im sure you realize the proper order in which to bleed??
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:25 PM   #19
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

You mean to tell me I had speeling errers??

Thanks for fixing everything. I wrote the article long ago as you know and really hadn't prove read it or anything.

Mike