The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
wugunguy
70 C/10-Work in progress

Help needed on 70 Chev

Hello, I am currently working on a 1970 chevy truck. It is a c10 short/fleet side bed, no AC, PS, PB. I am not for sure what it takes to convert it to AC, PS, PB. I am also going to put a stepside/wood bed-I know how to to this, just need the metal strips that hold the wood togethor and all brackets. Any information on these issues is greatly appreciated.

I am also wanting to lower the entire truck 2"-any help

I am new to the board, so if this has been brought up before, sorry.

thanks

Pete

Last edited by wugunguy; 09-07-2005 at 06:22 PM.
wugunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
farside847

PB is the easiest by far to do. Here is some info on my install.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=163387
Old 09-07-2005, 06:25 PM   #3
wugunguy
70 C/10-Work in progress

Man, this place is quick. My posted has only been up a few minutes and I already have 1 answer I was looking for-Thanks farside847.

Let's see how fast you other guys are.

thanks

Pete
Old 09-07-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
motocrosschump

www.vintageair.com on the AC
1969 Chevelle 2 door 350/3
motocrosschump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
pjmoreland

What side of your engine is your alternator on?
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:56 PM   #6
69Goody

I installed a new Vintage Air unit in my 69 GMC. Although, mine was originally an air cab. Vintage Air carries the system for non air cabs too...but I found this awesome article on classic trucks website on their installation of a Classic Auto Air.
This is being installed in a 67 NON air cab.
http://www.classictrucksweb.com/tech/0408cl_air/
Good luck!

'69 GMC LWB 406, TH400, 3.73 Posi'

Things I've learned from my truck...If I was an automaker, my vehicles would be overpriced, run rough, and get 5MPG.
69Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:56 PM   #7
wugunguy
70 C/10-Work in progress

Alternator is on the passenger side. Again, thanks for the help on the AC installation.

Pete

Last edited by wugunguy; 09-08-2005 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:49 PM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

nice post

Quote:
Originally Posted by farside847
PB is the easiest by far to do. Here is some info on my install.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=163387

Nice post now when are you going to do the HEI conversion and the internal
regulated alternator conversion. We need more Pics. LOL

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:52 AM   #9
FormerMember
Account Suspended

What shape is the bed in?

I may be interested in it.

Converting your bed to wood.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=169893

Early Classic Enterprises for lowering springs and shocks or spindles and shackles:

http://www.earlyclassic.com

Last edited by FormerMember; 09-09-2005 at 12:53 AM.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:09 AM   #10
shifty
Questionable

I created a decent thread with pictures on how to do the HEI upgrade over in the FAQ forum. You should check it out.

Power brakes - simply add a booster on.

Power steering - you'll need a power steering gearbox, both hydraulic lines, a power steering pump/resevoir with the correct pulley on it, the pump bracket to mount it to the block, and the pitman arm for the power steering gearbox is different, so you'll need a new one of those with the rag joint as well, if memory serves right. Chances are you can buy a whole used setup from someone at the forum for around $200. Visit the parts forum for more information on that. Vendors like 'teeitup' and PICKMUP (sp?) usually have lots of salvage parts on hand.

Lowering you can use springs for a quick 2" drop if you don't have leafs in the rear. Otherwise, lowered springs in the front and blocks in the rear are possible. You could always cut or heat the springs with a torch also, but ... you lose some of the necessary resistance on the spring when you do either, which will give you a bouncier ride in many cases. The best possible suspension and handling upgrade you can do is adding a swaybar. You'll be amazed by the difference.

As for A/C, you might as well go aftermarket. If you didn't have A/C at stock, you probably do not have the vent hole above the radio, nor the ones on the dash next to the glovebox and the gauges. The only vents you'll probably have are on the floor and in the top of the dash (defrost). I have the same thing in mine. There are lots of aftermarket solutions. Here is an install of Vintage Air, which is highly recommended by lots of people:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post1310375

There are several very informative threads floating around here on the subject. Expect to drop about $1k-1.5k on the aftermarket air. It's a lot colder and easier to take care of and get recharged than the stock air from the 70's was.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:12 AM   #11
HeavyD

Too bad we live a million miles apart..I would sell you my complete running 71 with power steering for $400. The p.s. and p.b will be easy to find, and now might be a good opportunity to swap to discs if you want to upgrade your braking a bit.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:54 PM   #12
wugunguy
70 C/10-Work in progress

Wow, thanks gus for the great advice and information. I am a new guy and basically have all my questions answered now.

Grendal-The bed is in fair shape with the usual dings/dents, one fender is beat up on the rear. The floor is decent-no rusting through-has some pitting and it likes like if was used for hauling some heavier loads as the floor is bowed a little between cross members-not bad could probably be pounded out. Both fenders have a little rust in normal sponts but nothing horibble. Would be a good work truck bed or daily driver bed if not worried about cosmetics, but could be fixed up with some work/time.

I actually have a guy wanting to come look at it-he asked the same questions you did after I posted this forum. Not sure what will come of it but it is definitely for sale.

Shifty-Simply amazing, I greatly appreciate all the info.

Heavy-If it weren't for this 800.00 a gallon gas, I would be interested, I love road trips and love the North-nice and cool. I went to TX to get this truck (1630 miles in less than 2.5 days) Is it SB or LB, Fleet or step. I am definetely going to disc-was one of the first things I put on my list to do.

I will try to get some pics up soon, might as well show the heap off.

Again, thanks everyone for all the info

Last edited by wugunguy; 09-10-2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:17 PM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Welcome to the board from central ohio. You'll find everything you'll ever want to know on here...and you'll discover many things you never even considered...yet.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:18 PM   #14
pjmoreland

Since your alternator is on the passenger side, it most likely means that your engine has a long water pump setup from a newer truck ('70s or '80s). If you're adding AC and PS, you might be better off trying to find an entire set of matched pulleys and pumps off of a donor vehicle. It's kind of a pain to try to find a power steering pump if you don't know exactly which year your pulleys are from.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 11:39 PM   #15
wugunguy
70 C/10-Work in progress

My truck has rear coil springs, but I am going to put leaf springs on it and lowering it 2 or 3" does anyone have any pics of this conversion-would like to know what I am supposed to end up with.

Does adding the Vintage air system require any cutting to firewall or cab?

thanks

Last edited by wugunguy; 09-11-2005 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:09 AM   #16
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Why would you want to swap to leaf?!?!?!
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:44 AM   #17
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugunguy
Does adding the Vintage air system require any cutting to firewall or cab?
Most people smooth their firewall when adding the Vintage air system, then cut holes in the plates used to smooth it. I really suggest you look at what Taylor did here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post1310375

Call Vintage air - they are good guys, very helpful, I've talked to them before. They will tell you all of the possible options with their products. (800) 862-6658 or (210) 654-7171

Here's their website, read the "tech tips" section (link is in the bottom of hte navigation bar on the left). They give good suggestions of things to think about before purchase:

www.vintageair.com

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote