The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #1
OrangeMach

Just got a truck

I bought a 59 fleetside. Trying to figure out what it's worth. VIN is 3A59S.

OrangeMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

2500-3500 if the rest is as good as this picture
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
OrangeMach

WOW! I guess I did steal it. I picked it up for $1,000 with a running straight 6 .

Any websites where I can get an idea of what it should have looked like from the factory? I would like to start a restro project on this thing. I am excited to get started on this thing .
Old 09-07-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
OrangeMach

Here's some additional pics. How do you like the Ford hub caps ?

Last edited by OrangeMach; 09-07-2005 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:49 AM   #5
ERIKJEEP

Thumbs up Congrats!

I'm working on my 1955 resto. Have fun it's a dirty job.
ERIKJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:07 AM   #6
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking Nice Steal! ("DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH")

Well of course you really didn't steal it! But the $1,000.00 was probably a fair price if it is all in tact and not modified yet.

Now your choice is to restore it back to original or to modify and custom build it to your own tastes. Right? Either way all the parts for your truck are now available.

In fact, new parts are coming out nearly every month. Pretty soon, a person could build a complete 55-59 Task Force from aftermarket parts! For example, we will soon be selling a complete cab in steel with your choice of either a big window or small rear window. Think of that!

I would like to say thank you on the behalf of myself and my fellow 55-59 "Truck-Nuts" for saving "this gem" from the clutches of the crusher! And to welcome you to this board, where we will be glad to help you in any way we can, get that "Diamond in the Rough" rebuilt into a true Shiny Beauty!

As for the value of your truck, I especially like the fact that it is a 3100 Fleetside. Which means it is a short wheelbase and a short bed. Not too many of the short Fleets remain, as sales of the longer Fleetsides were stronger back in 58-59 due to the fact most buyers liked the longer and wider beds to haul stuff in.

Hopefully the bed sides are not too "beat-up" and that you can soon get your gem torn down and inspected to see what needs to be done. Like the fellow before me said... "it is a lot of work" But it is also fun if you love the prospect of having the truck restored and built like you want and do most of the work yourself.

Set up a truck project budget, and stick too it. Do lots of reading and looking at other trucks, and parts options before you start. That way you can plan it out, and spend the money on what you want when you want.

Good luck, and if you are new to this board, welcome! Stop in to my website and have a look around sometime. Best regards, rico_bob

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com

Last edited by rico_bob; 09-08-2005 at 09:08 AM.
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
OrangeMach

Thanks rico_bob. This will be my first restro project and I am leaning towards making a hot rod out of it. However, the main reason I bought it was because I felt like for the price I got it at, I could turn it and make some cash off of it if I needed to. What's the best way to go for top dollar? Stock or modified?

BTW: I will be asking several dumb questions since I know nothing of what can be done with this truck.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 09-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #8
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Exclamation Just Think... This could have been YOUR TRUCK!

STOP THE CRUSHING OF CLASSIC TRUCKS!

Buy a truck today, and save them from the grips of this MONSTER! To all of you who have just bought a 55-59 or other Classic Truck... we "TRUCK-NUTS" want to say thank you! I wish I had a Million Dollars, as I would buy up all the 55-59's that I see out there and put them into dry storage for future fun!

To the fellow in this post who just bought the '59 Fleetside, I say thank you! The cab, fenders, and frame in this photo are from a 1958 Chevy. It is about to be loaded and "smushed down" onto that flatbed truck, and hauled to the smelter in Taiwan China.

The only good part about this is that over in Taiwan, they are turning scrap back into 55-59 Reproduction Parts. And whether those parts are labled Goodmark, Dynacorn, Tri-Plus, CounterParts, etc., they are all from USA steel we are recycling.

And I must comment, that the QUALITY of the reproduction parts is very good now. Not like they were 30 years ago. The technology to reproduce parts using original parts has improved significantly - as tooling models have changed dramatically with the use of computers and CAD-CAM manufacturing. Our customers actually tell us that the new parts fit better than the originals.

The new doors, fenders, hoods, tailgates and other body panels are cleaner and the lines are crisper. One of our customers who used new doors and fenders wins first place in nearly every show he attends! Impressive? You bet!

Now I am all for you all who want to use OE parts for your restoration, and who refuse to buy any reproduction parts... but if you don't buy them at the bone yards before "MR. JAWS" gets a hold of them, then you are not going to find any! The OE stuff is gone guys! There is very little to be bought out there. So if you insist on using OE parts, be warned, you either will pay through the nose or not find it at all!

My "BIG" 2-Cents worth for this month.... rico_bob
Attached Images

'56 for the daughter.

Last edited by rico_bob; 09-08-2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:05 AM   #9
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking To Resto-Rod or Restore? Age old Question

Jason,
If you want to turn it quick, then do some cleaning and make sure the engine is in good condition and that the brakes and basic mechanical are all working and that the truck is safe to drive.

My thoughts on a "resto-rod" are these; Although you will see that they typically sell for the larger amount of cash (say ... $20-$30 Thousand) I am 100% sure that you will never get back all money you put into one - even if you do all the labor yourself! Buying the needed tools and equipment and the time it takes, is not a project for the money conscience!

If this is not going to be something you want to keep and drive and or show... then why bother doing much at all? Like I said, if your intent was to re-sell it and make a couple of hundred, just check it over for safety concerns and re-list it. Sell it on eBay Motors with a reserve price so that you do not lose your initial investment and let someone else do all the work that your "Diamond in th Rough" needs. (or advertise it on Boards like this one... There are many out here)

I get calls every day from lookers! If I can help you sell it I will. But be honest about the trucks condition, as no one likes a "puffed-up" story.

Just like the other day, I called a guy who was selling a 57 Napco near me. Over the phone, he made the truck sound like it was "Like Show Room Condition"... but when I went to look at it, I was shocked! It needed everything and was missing parts and was a real joke! To top it off, he was asking $5,000.00 for this truck! People are not stupid are they?

Again, I probably said too much... But think about your purpose in getting the truck - and take care to give someone else a chance to get a hold of the GEM you have. Remembering that restoring can cost up to $12,000.00 to 20,000.00 or more on these trucks.

Regards, Richard

'56 for the daughter.

Last edited by rico_bob; 09-08-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:12 AM   #10
OrangeMach

For now I will start the resto on it. I hope to keep it but you never can tell.

Here's my other baby that consumes all of my money. Not an oldie, but I love her.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:14 AM   #11
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Post Selling Your Classic Truck

PS: Ditch the tool box, get some matching wheels and tires, get a battery, steamclean the engine bay, replace the plugs, and plug wires, and distributor cap, scrape off those window decals - and take your photos up on a concrete paved driveway or parking lot. Make sure the Truck is safe to drive (repair broken mirror?) and little things like that. Richard

'56 for the daughter.

Last edited by rico_bob; 09-08-2005 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:47 AM   #12
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Question Read any Good Books Lately?

Jason, I will be glad to help in any way I can. Spend time on the web looking at other trucks, use magazines as reference material. Buy some books like the 55-59 Factory Assembly Manual $29.00. And buy this book: "How to Build - Tri-Five Chevy Trucks" In Print by HP (High Performance Books) ISBN Number 1-55788-259-2.

The Tri-Five Chevy Book was put together by TRUCKIN' Magazine and covers all the key points in Resto-Roding a 55-59. Do more research, and have fun! rico_bob

PS: Visit our web site

'56 for the daughter.

Last edited by rico_bob; 09-08-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #13
OrangeMach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico_bob
PS: Ditch the tool box, get some matching wheels and tires, get a battery, steamclean the engine bay, replace the plugs, and plug wires, and distributor cap, scrape off those window decals - and take your photos up on a concrete paved driveway or parking lot. Make sure the Truck is safe to drive (repair broken mirror?) and little things like that. Richard
I completely agree. Will start on it tonight. I have got to get it out of the ladies backyard that the above photo was taken from. Somehow she has this in the yard with no way other than to take her fence down to get it out.

What is the correct wheel bolt pattern for this truck?
Old 09-10-2005, 08:29 PM   #14
thebeemanone

Hi

I have a 59 that i am working on also.

It should have 6 lug chevy most chevy 6 lug will fit it.

Have FUN.
thebeemanone is offline   Reply With Quote