The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2002, 11:17 PM   #1
fishuntr

Lightbulb My saddle tank project (tech)

Well, i did it with no "Boom". You recall, i wanted to mount my saddle tanks, but with a few modifications.
1. I didn't want to cut holes in the side of my nice pickup bed.
2. I wanted to be able to fill both tanks from one side.
3. I didn't want to blow myself up in the process.
Here's how I've done it so far:

First, let me admit, i have a son who is a professional welder/fabricator. We did all of the welding in his shop at Performance Fabrication in Apple Valley. I DID do all the planning, cutting and prep, but left the actual welding to him. (Remember; "old & wise" )

I cut the fuel fill pipes off from their original locations, which had them up in between the inner and outer bed sides in front of the rear wheels. I welded patches over these holes and welded short pieces of 1/8" steel pipe nipples into them for vent hoses.

Regarding the "no boom" part, I cleaned the tanks , then filled them with CO2 and kept the CO2 flowing during each welding sequence.

I cut notches in the fuel fill pipes so they would fit over the corners at the top/rear of the tanks. The tanks don't extend very far into the rear fender wells, so I angled the fill pipes for easy access. The fill pipes are 2" OD, so i cut the holes with a 1 3/4" hole saw and custom fitted them with a grinder. The fill pipes were then welded in place

There wasn't enough clearance on top of the tanks for a crossover fill pipe up there. I cut a 3/4" steel pipe coupling in half and ground it smooth on the sides, leaving the "collar" on the ends. Using a hole saw, I cut holes in the rear ends of each tank at the bottom. I then welded the 1/2 couplings into the holes in each tank. Once the tanks are mounted, I will put two 90 degree brass "3/4 pipe to #12 hose" fittings in them and fit a crossover hose between the tanks.

The crossover hose will allow me to fill both tanks from one side
(either side). The two saddle tanks will become, in effect, one tank. I will only use one tank's pickup tube and route the fuel line to a two-way selector valve. The seat tank is one position
of the selector,and the two saddle tanks, acting as one, is the other position.

Regarding the vent hoses, I will put a small fuel filter in line, just to keep dirt, water etc out. I will route the vent hoses over the top of the frame rails.

I have to clean the surface of the tanks, paint them, mount them in place and hook up the fuel lines. When I get finished I will post some more photos. If anybody has questions, just fire away, or email me.
Jimmy James

Former fill pipe hole with patch ready to weld

Former location of fill pipe was patched and a 1/8" steel pipe nipple was welded in for a vent hose

CO2 slowly and constantly flowing into tank

Fill pipe relocated to end of tank

1/2 of a 3/4" steel pipe coupling welded in bottom at rear of tank, for fuel transfer/equalizer hose

Old 07-02-2002, 01:39 PM   #2
fishuntr

Angry

Nobody seems interested, so I'll critique my own post.

#1. I tried to post the photos in sequence with the article, but they all ended up at the tail end. Why?
#2. My son called me and pointed out a potential problem. When we put the patches on the original fill pipe holes, we put 2" long nipples in for vent hoses. They actually extend down into the tank about 1". The concern is that I wont be able to fill the tanks to the top, because of those nipples extending into the tank..we'll see.
Jimmy
Old 07-02-2002, 02:21 PM   #3
colohusker

Looks good, and good thing about it was no Boom!

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
colohusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 02:37 PM   #4
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Will that extra two inches really make that much of a difference? Your running three tanks now, you could across Texas and into Louisiana without filling up, I think you'll be fine.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:59 PM   #5
fishuntr

Thanks Colohusker..I don't know Josh; reckon I'll find out. Like you say, I will have a lot of fuel capacity anyway. BTW, the CO2 worked and was real easy.

I still would like to hear from one of you compooter gurus (geeks) about why my photos were out of place. My son just says "well Dad, like they say, you gotta be 2% smarter than the tool your trying to use." LOL
Jimmy