The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
76bonanza

drum question

Looking at buying a 68 with drums, guy says it has 69 drums 71 master and 83 booster says stops as good as disk new lines and hoses. Do you think it will stop good or not?

Also anyone put shoulder belts in from like brother or year one? Are they any good?
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:32 PM   #2
HeavyD

Might stop Ok but I do not think it will equal a disc system. Don't let that stop you from buying it though..if they work good save up a few bucks over the next while and buy a complete disc system to swap over later.
As far as seatbelts go, I have heard good things about the ones sold by Julianos.
http://www.julianos.com/
Old 09-10-2005, 01:17 AM   #3
4tiresngas
An American Soldier

Yeah, if the truck is in good shaped...I'd say buy it regardless of the brakes. Swapping over later is not that difficult. I swapped my 69 over with spindles from ECE. I had never done anything like that before, but with the ECE tech line and this board, it went pretty smooth.

I saw the seatbelts at Brothers. They look pretty straight to me. I'm going to get a set (on my long list of things to do). I never knew that plastic piece over your sholder just covered up the bolt hole for the 3-point seatbelt. I just wonder why they put that there. The counter guy at Brothers told me trucks sold to the Gov't requied 3-point back then. I had never heard that before...ssounds reasonable enough, though.

dan.brue@us.army.mil
4tiresngas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:47 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
trucks sold to the Gov't requied 3-point back then. I had never heard that before...ssounds reasonable enough, though.
Not true. Hummers had lap belts untill 99 when all hummers were required to have the MWO (modification work order) for the 3 point, 2 1/2 ton and older 5 ton cargo trucks to this day only have lap belts.
As for the brake question, 69 drums...they are the same as 68.
71 master... if not mistaken, this would cause the front wheels to lock up too easily. Discs require lots of fluid movement to operate, drums do not. So if you move lots of fluid, odds are, you aren't going to have a ballanced system.
booster off an 83... I don't see how this would do anything at all in all reality, plus, I found, that in 3/4 ton and one ton parts anyways, the drum/drum master wouldn't work on the disc/drum boster.

Do you have a way of getting pics of this set up?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:28 AM   #5
76bonanza

he said the 69 drum uses a wider pad than the 68 this is the only pic I have.
Attached Images

Last edited by 76bonanza; 09-10-2005 at 08:30 AM.
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

69 is wider than 68? Never heard that one...could well be true, I never dealt with the 67/68 trucks. Even if they are wider, are the shoes wider?
That doesn't look like a 71 master cylinder to me...both reservoirs look to be the same size, and disc/drum set ups should have one much larger than the other.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #7
pjmoreland

Looks like the correct drum/drum proportioning valve on there at least. I've had both 67 and 69 drums. They were both the same width. In my experience, drums stop just as well as disks, but drums have a tendency to brake unevenly causing the truck to turn when braking if things aren't totally perfect.

In my opinion, I wouldn't let the brake setup be the deciding factor on buying the truck. If the brakes don't work very well, you can always put the correct booster/master cylinder in there for not too much cost compared to the overall cost of the truck. I'd be interested primarily in the condition of the body (rust). Looks like a pretty clean truck from that picture. Hopefully there aren't large amounts of bondo lurking under the paint.
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

My experience with drums is they stop pretty well on dry pavement when compared to disk brakes.
However, if you don't maintian them (like I did back in college) they can lock up in a bad way on wet streets. I had several close calls because I let the right rear brake pad wear down to the steel (unknown to me at the time), which locked up on wet pavement and made for two very interesting close calls.
After graduating the first thing I did was swap out the non powered drums for powered disk brakes which made a big improvement. I also pay closer attention to the condition of my brake shoes now too.
I'd say buy the truck and do the brake swap later if you're still concerned about it.
Old Yeller 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote