The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2002, 03:48 PM   #1
bluzman2004

Cold Air Intake

Has anyone seen a cold air intake system on one of our trucks? I'm getting ready to build one up to stop sucking hot air into my carb and blower. I'm thinking of something with 3" tubes connected to an air cleaner housing...
It will definately add some horsepower and help with any detenation problems.
bluzman2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 04:40 PM   #2
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Look in Hot Rod magazine, or the new issue of Super Chevy on page 157. In the middle column second from the top ther is an ad for a Ram Air Box for 175.00 for the kit. This is how Iam going to force feed cold air to my engine. Looks like a good kit. Or you can go to www.ramairbox.com, and check it out.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:08 PM   #3
Alexis
Member since 2000

k&n filter make them for carb motors, call them up and see what they got. but i think it would be better to build one. cause you can run the tubing the way you like. 3" isnt going to be enough. i think a trip to OSH is in call
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 05:15 PM   #4
chaptr2

Cool

My old Ram air set up.

70 GMC Short box stepside Blown 388 Stroker
72 K/5 Blazer 350/SM465/205
chaptr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 05:59 PM   #5
PushinPebbles
My dad's 68

chapter: that is awesome..................why not make a box out of alum.?....................I mean u could polish it!.....................i was think abut as well......................my idea was to use a chrome 72 bumper(i think it is the one w/ the turn signals down there)............and run my tubes down there................but what about rain and stuff like that?........................jsut thinking...dont mess w/ me, this rarely happens..lol...........................Jack
67 C-10 SWB 355 built T-350 tranny hurst shifter 17x8in KMC's on michelins, clear tails and back up lights slammed**UPDATE i have decided on my bag setup and will post further info when i recieve all the parts
88 1/2 ton suburban 4x4 350/700R-4*having a 9 in lift w/ 38 in tires
4 12 inch Lightning Audios
87 silverado 3/4ton jacked up 10-12 inches black and rubberized bed coating 35 in michelans ******************************
Dad's truck
68 C-10 stepside, 468 BB, tubbed, weld wheels, Nason black,lots more
grand dads truck 68 C-10 stepside
fuel inj. 350/700R-4*soon in audi silver*
84 toyota pickup 22R 5 speed 2WD slammed, shaved and all the body lines filled w/ buickGN scoop,bout to be sprayed in 2003 mustang green metallic w/ silver flames
S/N=BIGGYTYME@aol.com
(hydros)
"No fat chics, truck will scrape"
PushinPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 06:11 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Gawd that is a sweet friken truck.
Attached Images

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 06:31 PM   #7
NSANE68!!!
SLICER AND DICIER

Thumbs up

OK, This is where I'm going to start. I bought this for my 95 Tahoe TBI motor, and it fits my Holley 750 perfect. I'm going to run tubing down to just below batery tray, cut a hole and run filter in front of rad support. Then I will be sucking fresh cold air int that BLOWER, hehe. I sell these on my site under Truck performance. Pretty cheap and a good place to start your fabrications.
Attached Images

95 Honda 900RR
05 GMC Siearra (company truck)
NSANE68!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 06:50 PM   #8
Baylor05

nice engine

is that a supercharger or what under your carb. I want to put one on my 327. Let me know at Playboyjg81@hotmail.com
Baylor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 09:33 PM   #9
XXL
Señor Member

I used a mid-90's K&N kit for the 5.0 Mustang. It has a verrrrry flat pancake piece that fits over the carb air horn. Then a snout comes off it and just misses the brake booster and heads forward toward the left front corner of the truck. There I have the K&N cone filter on it. I took a piece of 6" "S&D" PVC pipe and a PVC cap and made a can out of it... punched a hole in the cap that fit it over the hard plastic of the K&N snout. Then I put the filter back on and lined up everything with a 6" hole in the core support just above where the external regulator is supposed to be bolted up.

Cost? $40 on Ebay for the used Mustang piece, $3 in PVC parts, $1 for some Band-Aids and first aid cream, and voila...

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 10:08 PM   #10
Alexis
Member since 2000

chaptr what kind of power do you pull out with that. how does she feel. does it get up on the freeway
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 10:42 PM   #11
bluzman2004

Well, I went to the junkyard today and walked around for awhile. I picked up two stock cold-air systems off of two 5.0 Thunderbirds. I'm going to try to merge them and add some 3 or 4 inch tubing. Should end up with something like Chaptr's setup. I have the same supercharger he has I think.
bluzman2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:22 AM   #12
Low69CST

Chaptr:
Thats the same air box I had planned on running with my cold air set up. I thouht that air filter box was up pretty high, then I looked at the other pictures.

I've been wanting to put one of the plastic air deflector from a mid 80's truck onto the front of my truck. Then cut some holes in the front of it for air intakes like chaptr has for his lights, then run hose to an air box just like he has.

Maybe if I could find an air cleaner box that was big enough, I could just run one large hose up to the carb and use a small carb connector like pictured above.

Ofcoarse, when and if I get this to work, i'll post plenty of pictures.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:29 AM   #13
Chevyc10!

Looks like we have a Spidey fan on the board! How many times have you seen it Chaptr ?

Paralyzed from the neck up and confined to a hat!

Kathleen, Georgia USA
Chevyc10! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 12:05 PM   #14
nate68

get a cowl induction hood and make a setup like a lot of the muscle cars had.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:42 PM   #15
chaptr2

Sorry guys, I have been really busy today, so I will try to answer your questions.

PushinPebbles, Longhornmail thanks for the compliments.

Chevyc10! Yes I am a Spiderman fan, but have only seen the movie twice. I have a very nice collection of Spiderman and other various comics. I didn't have many friends when I was 12-14, so I became a comic book geek. When I got to high school I became a social butterfly and stopped reading comics and now I am going back to it a little.

Baylor05 yes that is a supercharger, sitting on my 388 stroker. It is a 142 Weiand blower with a 7 inch bottom pulley and a 2. (something) in top pulley.

Alexmart1, man she gets up and goes, I have slowly taken her down (like you and Britney). So I haven't been able to run with the new fuel system, transmission or new suspension. Before I took her down I could smoke the tires whenever wanted too. When (and if) she hooked up, she would flat out move. I haven't actually taken her to a real dyno, but the one I did, said somewhere near 520 hp at the tires and 690 hp at flywheel. Not sure how accurate it is, but makes me happy to see that (even if it is off). I will when she is back on the road and ready run.

Low69CST, I had found a ram air box that would hold a 5 inch air cleaner, 180 degrees between snorkels, and 5 inch air tube inlets. I went to hardware store bought some 5-inch dryer tube, two big hose clamps, and some pieces for chimneys a long with some screen to put in the headlight bezels. That ram air box will fit under your hood without any clearance problems. The only thing you need to do is take the junction block by your batter off (to make 5 inch tube fit). The GMCs have two holes in the core support from the factory, so I didn't need to cut anything. If you have a Chevy I don't where you will put the ends of the tubes. You will need to cut something, but I like what NSANE68 said with cutting holes in the core support with filters.

The picture you guys see is about two or so years old. I have now gotten rid of the ram air set up and just run a cowl induction hood. Ram air wouldn't fit with a supercharger under the cowl hood. My license plate fame reads "Stroke it, Blow it, Ram it!" I get so many looks when I drove her down the road. Old ladies would blush when they read it!!

Chaptr2

Old 07-03-2002, 04:51 PM   #16
Frank_Zeller

Not sure what it’s off of. Got it at a swap meet the guy said it came of a GM police cruiser. Seen the same air cleaner on a early 90's full size truck, but it had a different hose that went straight. Have the old air ac so used the hole where the blower use to be for the cold air feed directly to the cowl vent below the windshield. True cowl induction. The NASCAR guys do a similar thing.

Austin-Texas
Frank_Zeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 05:04 PM   #17
PushinPebbles
My dad's 68

How about making 2 little scoops on the cowl?..........and then run from the the firewall straight to your air cleaner setup?.............
almost like Smokey Unick...............the scoops would be cool too.
................Jack
67 C-10 SWB 355 built T-350 tranny hurst shifter 17x8in KMC's on michelins, clear tails and back up lights slammed**UPDATE i have decided on my bag setup and will post further info when i recieve all the parts
88 1/2 ton suburban 4x4 350/700R-4*having a 9 in lift w/ 38 in tires
4 12 inch Lightning Audios
87 silverado 3/4ton jacked up 10-12 inches black and rubberized bed coating 35 in michelans ******************************
Dad's truck
68 C-10 stepside, 468 BB, tubbed, weld wheels, Nason black,lots more
grand dads truck 68 C-10 stepside
fuel inj. 350/700R-4*soon in audi silver*
84 toyota pickup 22R 5 speed 2WD slammed, shaved and all the body lines filled w/ buickGN scoop,bout to be sprayed in 2003 mustang green metallic w/ silver flames
S/N=BIGGYTYME@aol.com
(hydros)
"No fat chics, truck will scrape"
PushinPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 05:18 PM   #18
Longhorn Man

Your GMC has holes in the rad support? Do you have any pics of it? (close up) I've never seen this.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:03 PM   #19
chaptr2

Sorry Longhornmail I don't have any pictures of it. The holes are behind the outside two headlights. If you look at the picture I had to move the high/low beam headlights to the inside. I bought Hella headlights and put them in the center two holes. You wouldn't even notice a difference by using two headlights instead of four.

Someone here who das a digi cam and a GMC will you please take a picture of the wholes behind the outside headlights. Thank you...

Chaptr2

Old 07-03-2002, 07:31 PM   #20
Longhorn Man

i have one, but never noticed this hole...I guess I'll have to get off my ...ahem... excuse me.
Old 07-04-2002, 03:50 AM   #21
Duallie

I made my own cold-air induction by welding a pair of oval snorkels (with the hot air diverters) to a normal air cleaner bottom. I had to miss the distributor on one side and the air compressor on the other side. Then I used 4" exhaust tube and penetrated the core support and covered the inlet with a rain/snow dam. The air hits the core support and is guided through two right angle direction changes to knock the water and snow out before it could pack into the air filter. To connect the knockouts to the air cleaner I used 4" industrial woodshop sawdust hose.
I guess I gotta get off my butt and update the site.