The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2005, 11:22 PM   #1
ejkh87

Tire size/fitment

Ok i am wanting to do a pro street setup on my 69' c10 fleet. I am wondering what size tire I can fit without cutting the frame. I dont care to cut the bed. And if I have to cut the frame how much do i narrow it.
Thanks
Eli
ejkh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
JayG
Formerly ADHDCARGUY

I've a '67 swb with 29 x 15.5 x 15 Hoosiers on 12" Weld wheels. I didn't have to modify the frame at all. Just tubbed the bed with a second set of stock wheel tubs welded to the origional set. Turned out pretty smooth. Still have plenty of fender clearence. I'll try for some pictures tonight. I 've had trouble posting pics before, I'm not real computer hip!

67CHEVY SWB,355, built 700r, 5/7,9",posi 3.50,REAR BAGS,HOOSIERS, A/C.
54CHEVY - BURB, beginning construction(well, i gotta take it apart first!)
36FORD PU - WAITING
38CHEVY - 2DR SD,CHASSIS FINISHED
46CHEVY - BURB - waiting
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:37 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

measure from the inside wheel well to the frame and subtract 2 inches. thats the wides without cutting the frame. you will have to put the spring hanger in the inside of the rails and tub it if you go that wide.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:14 PM   #4
70c10swb
no brain no headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDCARGUY
I've a '67 swb with 29 x 15.5 x 15 Hoosiers on 12" Weld wheels. I didn't have to modify the frame at all. Just tubbed the bed with a second set of stock wheel tubs welded to the origional set. Turned out pretty smooth. Still have plenty of fender clearence. I'll try for some pictures tonight. I 've had trouble posting pics before, I'm not real computer hip!

Thats exatly what i want to do. Couple of questions, did you use the stock 12 bolt or did you narrow it? If you didnt what offset are the rears? do the stick out at all(i dont want them to, i want them to tuck up in there nice.)

oh if you cant get the pics on here sent me them and ill host them for you.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:06 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

There's a real good thread going on the main 67-72 board right now about this exact subject. Some of the fellows offered up good pictures and measurements to give you an idea.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:27 AM   #6
Whynot
Account Suspended

Unhappy

Hey ELI ! Not going to try and change your mine. But I have to questions. Is this going to be a daily driver or a sat. night truck ? Also have you ever drove one much. I just like to say pro street trucks look cool, but if you drive it much it will shock you in a instant or do more. Without notice. Wish someone had of told me before I built mine. I have a 40 model pro-street P.U. With a mustang 2 setup and a narrowed 9" ford with big hoosiers on the rear. Yea it looks cool and hot. Was going to be a driver and it was for a while. Now it sits in the garage a lot,O I get it out once in a while. Here is the main problem I found out about pro street trucks. If it just sprinkles,you better slowly take it home or off the street. Because the wide tire like a hoosies does not get along even in the misty rain. But don't take my word for it, ask some of the other guys that have one or that did have one. You can find your self like I did,driving down the street like around 40 mph on a misty road and before I knew it I was doing circles. Out of control, lucky the car near me stopped or I would have hit him. Because it was nothing I could do. It will happen a lot and when you least expect it. And I mean like when your driving normal. Its funny till it happens to you. Then you think,maybe a pro street truck is not that cool. Why it happens more on a pro-street truck then a regular one. Is because the wider the tire per square inch foot print,the less traction you have on anything wet. Do a thread on the subject of driving a pro-street truck daily. See what the guys say. I use to see pro-street trucks alot years ago,but not may lately. Guess thats why.
Happy safe trails
Whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:36 PM   #7
ed455
Captain Ed

Yep, I know lots of guys who went pro-street only to regret it. They are undriveable in wet weather as whynot stated. But MAN, do they look cool.

1999 C3500 LS 7.4L
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote