The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Which Taillights?
Use the stock taillights in the first photo. 11 23.91%
Use the two clearance lights on each side. 3 6.52%
Use one clearance light on each side. 1 2.17%
Find different taillights. 31 67.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Your Opinion Please - Which Tailights?

First, a little introduction. I've been on the forum for several months without a formal intro, so here goes.

I grew up in West Texas (where I will be moving back to as soon as our house sells) and have owned Old Yeller since 1990 the summer before my sophomore year in college.

I wasn't too enamored with the idea of owning a yellow long bed step side at the time but I needed some wheels. One test drive in Old Yeller gave me a complete change of mind. This old truck had all kinds of tire smoking torque and plenty more power than any of the trucks from the '70's and '80's. So I was smitten.

As college wore on, Old Yeller and I became inseparable. After school I upgraded the brakes to power disk and lowered him. Through thick and thin, mostly thin, we've been through it all. My wife and I even went on our honeymoon in him. Finally, 2 1/2 years ago I got up the money to start making him over in earnest, as you can see from the signature.

Now, I want your opinion about what to do with the tail lights. As you can see from the pick the tailgate is sans chains (cables inside bed now) and latches from the inside.
I really don't want to go back with the stock tail lights.
I'm thinking about using the two clearance lights on each side, one for running light and the other for turn/brake sig.
Or use one clearance light on each side and modify it so one bulb in the light is for the running light and the other is for turn/brake (assuming it's bright enough). Or find something else entirely but what?
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
djracer

Welcome to the board from Al. I'd lean towards something Led there should be lots of options out there!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #3
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Your Opinion Please - Which Tailights?

First, a little introduction. I've been on the forum for several months without a formal intro, so here goes.

I grew up in West Texas (where I will be moving back to as soon as our house sells) and have owned Old Yeller since 1990 the summer before my sophomore year in college.

I wasn't too enamored with the idea of owning a yellow long bed step side at the time but I needed some wheels. One test drive in Old Yeller gave me a complete change of mind. This old truck had all kinds of tire smoking torque and plenty more power than any of the trucks from the '70's and '80's. So I was smitten.

As college wore on, Old Yeller and I became inseparable. After school I upgraded the brakes to power disk and lowered him. Through thick and thin, mostly thin, we've been through it all. My wife and I even went on our honeymoon in him. Finally, 2 1/2 years ago I got up the money to start making him over in earnest, as you can see from the signature.

Now, I want your opinion about what to do with the taillights. As you can see from the pick the tailgate is sans chains (cables inside bed now) and latches from the inside.
I really don't want to go back with the stock taillights.
I'm thinking about using the two clearance lights on each side, one for running light and the other for turn/brake sig.
Or use one clearance light on each side and modify it so one bulb in the light is for the running light and the other is for turn/brake (assuming it's bright enough).
Or find something else entirely but what?

You can check out my Old Yeller project at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2121284/1

Thanks for the advice.
PS You can vote for more than one option.
Attached Images

Last edited by Old Yeller 1970; 09-23-2005 at 03:56 PM.
Old Yeller 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
Americanrider

You asked.... I'm not trying to kick ya, just offer my opinion.
The clearance lights look cheap & tacky. The round ones look way to big. Personally I'd go with some rectangle stepside lights if your wanting a semi-stock look or some oval LEDS for a custom rod look. It all depends on what bumber you go with as to how it will turn out.

Here is some rectangle lights cheap. (not mine)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRAIL...QQcmdZViewItem
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
rambler
MOVE OVER

I've always thought about doing this on a step, or maybe a rollpan with taillights? el camino (NOT MINE, Just a link)
Old 09-23-2005, 04:00 PM   #6
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

A couple of questions, is the bumper staying? If so i think your lights that
you have shown us so far don't blend well, I agree with a LED type maybe
like the first pic, but I would lower them closer to the ground, looks high
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by djracer
Welcome to the board from Al. I'd lean towards something Led there should be lots of options out there!
I've searched high and low for LED lights but most won't fit or they are clearance lights just like the ones in the pics. If you have any ides for a LED that will work I'm certainly interested.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #8
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrider
You asked.... I'm not trying to kick ya, just offer my opinion.
The clearance lights look cheap & tacky. The round ones look way to big. Personally I'd go with some rectangle stepside lights if your wanting a semi-stock look or some oval LEDS for a custom rod look. It all depends on what bumber you go with as to how it will turn out.
Don't wory I've got plenty of thick skin. You've basically nailed down my concern. I looked at the ones on ebay but that's not the direction I want to go. Got any links or pics of oval LED's?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:13 PM   #9
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8
A couple of questions, is the bumper staying? If so i think your lights that
you have shown us so far don't blend well, I agree with a LED type maybe
like the first pic, but I would lower them closer to the ground, looks high
They are mounted in the stock location. What's missing is the back up lamps, which I'm not going to reuse. They are normally right under the taillights. So the taillights could be lowered.

The bumper is staying just imagine it being black instead of rust and white.

Last edited by Old Yeller 1970; 09-23-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:29 PM   #10
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Welcome to the board from sunny Seattle!

Opinions are worth just what you pay for them...LOL! I have a stepside on a bags and a budget. I wanted a NEW look so I went with the rectangular lights from the '73-'87 Chevs. They are identical to the what americanrider showed you. The box and fenders are rectangular so it looks a little better than the stock round lights, in my opinion. I mounted mine closer to the box and lower.

The El Camino bumper looks great when it is shortened to match the box. I don't think it looks that great overhanging the sides of the box. Which brings me to your bumper...lose it...please...unless this is going to be a logging or construction truck. I doubt it will if you have lowered it.

Those '73-'87 fenders have to go as well! They just don't look right on there.

I think lowering a long stepside is a great idea and I would love to see some side pics of it. That is a great truck and you already have an interesting history with it. Keep it...even if you decide to get a new car some day. I just wish I had kept all the trucks I am now trying to replace!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by stllookn
Which brings me to your bumper...lose it...please...unless this is going to be a logging or construction truck. I doubt it will if you have lowered it.

Those '73-'87 fenders have to go as well! They just don't look right on there.

I think lowering a long stepside is a great idea and I would love to see some side pics of it. That is a great truck and you already have an interesting history with it. Keep it...even if you decide to get a new car some day. I just wish I had kept all the trucks I am now trying to replace!
Thanks for the opinions.
First, sorry but the bumper is there to stay. Trust me it will look a lot better when it gets painted.

Second, the fenders are the original stock fenders. Not sure if its the angle and lighting that makes them look different to you in the photo or the fact that you're seeing the fuel inlet where it isn't supposed to be (moved gas tank from cab to under bed).

I'll get some side photos of the truck, maybe next week, so you can see what it looks like. I lowered it back when I did the brake swap.

Don't worry about me selling it. I'd stop just short of selling the wife and kids in order to keep it.

If you get a chance send a photo of your truck with the taillights maybe I need to take a second look at Americanrider's suggestion.

Last edited by Old Yeller 1970; 09-23-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:09 PM   #12
barn9
Half a bubble off!

How about some Caddy tail lights? I'm curious as to why you would want to keep that bumper? That thing is so big you could mount a traffic signal on each corner. Maybe when painted black it won't stick out so much, I'll be interested in seeing some more pics of it.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:28 PM   #13
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Caddy lights would probably look OK but at this point trying to get them to fit and look right would be more difficult than the effort I'd likely be willing to put into it.
I see I'm going to get hammered over the bumper. Why do I want to keep it? Simple, 'cause I like it. I don't mind if no one else does and everyone is welcome to say so. I may have to slap a coat of black spaypaint on it just to calm everyone's fears.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:29 PM   #14
farside847

Im a stocker myself. I have rarely seen aftermarkes look better.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:27 PM   #15
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

I would go for the two lights. (each side) Do not like the big ones that stick out at all. MO

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:48 PM   #16
Pop's72
It's ok to stare...

Since it looks like are going for a more custom look with your truck I would go with something else (I'm not sure what though ).

In my opinion the small lights look like something you would find at the 99 cents store and applied with double-sided tape.

Last edited by Pop's72; 09-23-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Pop's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:56 PM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Are you keeping the bumper? If so then I would consider something recessed in the bumper. It's kind of large looking so that would help break it up a bit. They have some nice oval shaped units with chrome trim I have seen on tractort trailers that might be small enough to fit flush.

Be creative and search the net. Those clearence lights don't do your truck any justice....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:19 PM   #18
nosto
Flamin' Bass

Old Yeller,

I'd go with two on each side, but then I'm kinda biased............
Attached Images

Pics : http://community.webshots.com/user/nosto53

1972 Triumph TR6 - full resto, now with a Toyota 5-speed
1975 F**D F-100 - rusty, but reliable
1982 HD XLH-1000
1967 C-10, shortstep, 350/M21 4spd, nitrogen tank fills fast bags on 4 corners, Toyo 255/45X20s on American Eagle 221 20X8s, shaved locks and handles, antenna, fuel filler, tiny C-notch, rear fuel tank, long headers, Edelbrock, worn 600 Holley, Checkmate flush hard cover, rear pan, custom LED taillights - painted it, too! But don't like it so I'm gonna do it again!!
nosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:24 PM   #19
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Not sure how I wound up with two of the exact same threads going. Let's get one of the moderators to nix this thread and we'll continue with the other one since I've already been responding to it.

Thanks for the reponses thus far looks like the clearance lights are out!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #20
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

Hey nosto, I like your lights. That would look good on his.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:34 PM   #21
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Nosto if I was half the body man you are (or who ever did your truck) I go your route. Unfortunately, I'm not that good.

Last edited by Old Yeller 1970; 09-23-2005 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:37 PM   #22
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

N2TRUX, I've considered lights in the bumper and was afraid they might be to low but upon further thought that might be the way to go since I plan on keeping the bumper.

Last edited by Old Yeller 1970; 09-23-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:45 PM   #23
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

As everyone can see, there are two of the exact same threads going about my taillights. I've asked the moderators to close the other one since this was the first one.

Based on the polling it's evident that I need to keep looking. I've never been satisfied with the clearance lights and thought I'd run by ya'll to see what you thought about it.

At this point I'll probably stick with the stock lights till I find something else. Anymore input or suggestions on this thread are welcomed and appreciated. I've got an idea for some LED's that I might buy and mock it up next week. Then we can see what everyone thinks about it.

It's been suggested that I put the lights in my big old honkin' bumper which I thought about before but dismissed. However, I'm warming up to that possibility too.

Keep the ideas coming.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:48 PM   #24
modifiedGMC

I say go with something different. Either something you've seen or maybe a combination of several different ideas. How about frenching them into the fenders? Here is a picture of mine the first time I done them. I got 6 small lights and cut the backs out, made some recessed sockets into the roll pan/bumper, and mounted the lights over them. They worked good but I just never really liked them. The second picture is after I removed those and made some mounts and installed some lights from about a 90 or so Cadillac that I got for $15 at a junkyard. Notice the exhaust pipes also changed.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:59 PM   #25
modifiedGMC

I say go with something different. Either something you've seen or maybe a combination of several different ideas. How about frenching them into the fenders? Here is a picture of mine the first time I done them. I got 6 small lights and cut the backs out, made some recessed sockets with regular tail light bulbs & sockets into the roll pan/bumper, and mounted the lights over them. They worked good and were plenty bright but I just never really liked them also they had no "reflective area" I never got pulled over but was afraid it would happen. The second picture is after I removed those and made some mounts and installed some lights from about a 90 or so Cadillac that I got for $15 at a junkyard. Notice the exhaust pipes also changed.

Last edited by modifiedGMC; 09-23-2005 at 11:17 PM.
modifiedGMC is offline   Reply With Quote