The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2005, 07:24 AM   #1
68lwb

68k10 front axle parts and information needed

I am looking for the drivers side backing plate for my truck. It is the original Dana 44 closed knuckle. Would be interested in complete axle if necessary. I am in northern Indiana. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also looking for information about the oil or grease that goes in the knuckle part of this axle. My books say 140 weight gear oil, but I have grease zerks and when I take out the plug, it full of grease not oil. Can anyone tell me what this is supposed to have?
68lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
1969K10

What do you mean by backing plate on the axle? i had good luck with a company called "Northern Truck" or something like that looking for parts for my closed knuckle. i'll get the reciepts out tonight and get you contact info...
according to the manual, these axles run 85-140W oil in them. i'll have to look at mine for grease fittings tonight to see what you're talking about...
1969K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
68lwb

the backing plate for the brake shoes is what I am looking for. I don't believe mine came originally with the grease zerk for the knuckles. It looks like someone "converted" it to this.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:59 AM   #4
1969K10

Yeah, i don't have any grease fittings on mine... i also didn't realize i had filler plugs in the ends until i rebuilt the axle, and cleaned the ends real good...

the place i was thinking of is Inland Truck. And i forgot to get their info last night, but you should be able to find them on the web...
1969K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
CyberRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lwb
I am looking for the drivers side backing plate for my truck. It is the original Dana 44 closed knuckle. Would be interested in complete axle if necessary. I am in northern Indiana. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also looking for information about the oil or grease that goes in the knuckle part of this axle. My books say 140 weight gear oil, but I have grease zerks and when I take out the plug, it full of grease not oil. Can anyone tell me what this is supposed to have?
I used to work in a 4x4 shop & currently have a CJ-5 w/ closed knuckles & have rebuilt quite a few axles w/ closed knuckles. We found in the 4x4 shop that usin' the recommended lube in closed knuckles usually leads to a lot of leakage no matter how well you seal 'em up. I also learned that usin' emory cloth on the ball portion of the knuckle to smooth it & remove pits helps the ball seals last a lot longer & makes a better seal surface. For lube, we found a mix of about 50% 85W140 multi viscosity Valvoline gear lube & 50% high quality Valvoline axle grease works best. Put the 2 parts in a pail or bucket & mix using a paint stirrer & drill. You end up w/ a thin paste that is thicker than the gear lube & thinner than axle grease that adheres well to the parts. It won't turn solid in cold weather like axle grease & won't run like water in hot weather when the axle is warm from driving. If you live in a warmer (Arizona, Texas, SE, etc) climate area, use about 60/40 grease/lube to keep it thicker. If you live in a cooler climate (MN, Canada, AK, etc) use a 70/30 mix of lube/grease.

When you reassemble the knuckle make sure you put a very thin layer of Permatex Ultra Blue between the backing plate/knuckle, spindle/backing plate, & hub parts to keep your lube from leaking out.
'71 K20 Custom Deluxe - 1 owner - Original 350 & 4 spd, Rams horn dual exhaust, Centerforce clutch, K&N 4"x15", factory tow hooks, 4" Skyjacker Softride, Rancho RSX9000s, custom Firestone AirRide overloads, 36" 305/85R16 10ply Buckshot Mudders, 4.11 gears
CyberRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
68lwb

Thanks for the information. It seems to make sense. I live in Indiana, and althought it gets cooler here, I doubt this truck will see much use in the colder months once I get it done.