The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Pics of new pulleys installed

Well, after all the fun I had with the PS pump reservoir, I finally got everything installed last night. I still don't have a belt for the PS yet. While I'm griping and ranting still, let me add one more thing to this. They recommend belt sizes but the sizes they recommend are too short. They recommended a 44-1/2 for the alternator, needed to use a 45. Recommended a 34-3/4 for the PS pump, too short. Got a 36 ordered for it. Not sure if it will work but I think it will. Billet Specialties make a real nice product as I have nothing but praise for the quality and workmanship, but their info and tech support suck.

Anyway, here's a couple pics.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Looks awesome Mike!!! I also like the new headers.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
hotrodhomi

nice
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:13 PM   #4
iceman7329
Account Suspended

You got rid of that cool air cleaner! NOOO Nice motor too.
iceman7329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 03:55 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7329
You got rid of that cool air cleaner! NOOO Nice motor too.
Mike, Iceman was in love with your old air cleaner.

That looks awesome Mike. It really cleaned things up under there, even though it looked good before. I did notice one major problem though. Where is the a/c compressor? That's just not right....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:00 PM   #6
iceman7329
Account Suspended

I just looked at the other pics and he changed alot under there, but it looks good.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Yeah, a lot of stuff has been changed. First and foremost, all the emissions stuff is gone. I swapped out the Performer EGR intake for a Performer RPM. Swapped the Edelbrock TES headers for some Hooker full length. Swapped out the stock fuel pump for a Edelbrock. All the exhaust stuff has been reworked too. No cats now. Running NAPA Quietflow mufflers and man, it is nice to be able to hear.

As for under the hood, I got tired of all the braided stuff. The vacuum hoses was starting to look like crap, so I replaced these with rubber. This left the heater and radiator hoses. After much debate, I decided to go back with stock rubber on these too. The steel overbraid on the big hoses looked nice but I was just ready for a change.

The Ram Air system will more than likely go back on. I had to buy a new air cleaner anyway since the velocity stack base I had with the old one was too high after swapping out intakes. I only have the air cleaner stuck on the engine until I get done, just too keep bugs and crap out.

Mike
Old 09-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #8
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Looks great Mike. I'm afraid to ask but how much was the setup? I think you did the right thing in taking away the braided stuff but left just enough. I was with Iceman and in love with the ram air box. I'm still going to get one but other thanks have to come in before that.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:28 PM   #9
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Brandon,

the kit was $499.95 plus shipping. Yeah, I was very tired of all the braided stuff too. I haven't made my mind up yet on the Ram Air box. I might just leave it off for awhile. I know it will be breathing hotter air but I sort of like the way it looks now, without it.

I was messing around on Billet Specialties site the other day and decided to check prices. I added every piece of the kit up separate and it comes to $469.80. I'm guessing they didn't think anyone would notice the extra 30 bucks they added for the kit. Jerks. I quickly let the know nothing Market Manager know how I felt about it in an email. I doubt it will do any good but at least I have the satisfaction of telling him.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:35 PM   #10
iceman7329
Account Suspended

Mike, could you tell me where you bought you Ram Air box at? I dont know whos sell them. Thanks
Old 09-25-2005, 06:50 PM   #11
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

http://www.ramairbox.com/

If you are thinking about buying one, let me know. I can save you some money by buying some of the stuff local and cheaper. To tell you the truth, all you really need to buy is the box itself. Everything else you can buy local. I would recommmend buying their air cleaner as well. The bottom lip on most air cleaners turns up to hold the filter to where the ones they sell don't have a lip so the box will sit flat on the base. The inside is also made different to fit the inside of the box better.

I bought a new air cleaner so I could use my Ram Air box. I needed a drop base. It has the lip and don't work well with the box. If I use my box, I'll need to order a base from them.

Mike
Old 09-25-2005, 07:55 PM   #12
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

All I want is a RIDE!!! Nice work Mike. No more emissions!!!
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:02 PM   #13
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

That sucks about having the extra $30 added to it Mike. I was thinking about something you did the other day. You had bought the front end kit from performancesuspension.com and like their kit but you changed back to rubber. I'm still going with poly but I was wondering if you had priced the kit versus buying the items seperately like the poly kit from Summit and everything else from the local store. Just trying to save some money

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 09-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #14
7T7
Regular guy

Damn Mike! Posting and working on the truck.....it's just like the good old days again.
This stuff keeps us lazy as people motivated.
I definitely like it!
Edelbrock MPFI, 700r4, Baer Brakes
9" F@rd rear, Vintage air, Bags etc etc..
7T7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:29 PM   #15
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Brandon,

I haven't changed back to rubber yet. I was thinking about though. As for pricing the parts separate on the front end stuff, no I didn't do that. It might be worth a shot to give it a try. Whatever you decide to do, by all means get good quality ball joints and related parts.

Hey Frank. Yeah, it feels good to be back in the game for a change.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:57 AM   #16
Ric83

Lookin' really good Mike! (Your truck that is ) Deff a really nice change under the hood.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:02 AM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

For those of you that don't remember or weren't here the last time Mike posted pics of his motor. This is what it looked like. Wow! It was really ugly before....

From nice to nicerer-

N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:05 AM   #18
1987 Shortwide

Looking great Mike.
My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:02 AM   #19
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
Brandon,

I haven't changed back to rubber yet. I was thinking about though. As for pricing the parts separate on the front end stuff, no I didn't do that. It might be worth a shot to give it a try. Whatever you decide to do, by all means get good quality ball joints and related parts.

Hey Frank. Yeah, it feels good to be back in the game for a change.
I'll be using Moog parts on the non-poly stuff. I'm not going to cheap out on this big of a build up. I'll check out the parts difference on seperate versus package deal.

BTW: Like Frank mentioned it's great to see you in the garage again

Old 09-27-2005, 01:47 AM   #20
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Looks real good. Good to hear that it all work out for you (minus the aggravation.)

I decided to look into the PS reserviors, while I was at the local auto parts store. They are not available without the PS unit. Even so, they're hard to come by. The PS unit comes with or without the reservior and only a couple of dollars difference between the two. So, let's see, buy the PS unit with the reservior, remove the reservior and return the PS unit less the reservior. I wonder if it might be easier going with a remote reservior.

BTW, how's the BS's clear coat finish? Again, looks good...

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote