The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
mks72

Unhappy Reverse Lights

My reverse lights do not work. I replaced bulbs and checked fuses. All okay. Is there something special about these?? Also, my dome light doesnt work. Again, fuses are fine. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
mks72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
farside847

What kind of tranny do you have? It might be the backup light switch...
Old 09-26-2005, 08:34 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

On the dome light, are you using the headlight switch...or just opening the doors? (The door switched were optional 69 - 72, and N/A 67 and 68)

Welome to the board from central ohio... what kind of rig do you have?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
mks72

Hello. I have a 72 swb with 350/350 setup. I know I need some pics for you guys. Will do asap. And I am using the switch to try to turn on the dome light. Didn't know it would turn on with the door.
mks72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
pjmoreland

There are lots of possibilities for why your back up lights aren't working:

1) Bad ground at lamp housing. Check continuity between housing and chassis. If necessary, clean between housing and bed. Check for missing ground strap between bed and chassis.

2) Bad bulb. You checked that already.

3) Bad contact between bulb and socket. Clean it out with a small wire brush and brake cleaner.

4) Bad wiring between socket and backup switch. Check wires with volt meter or test light.

5) Backup switch out of adjustment. With your engine off and the ignition in the "ON" position, shift slowly through the gears and see if your backup lights come on in some gear other than "R". If so, first adjust your shifter linkage so that you can shift between "N" and "D" without pulling back on your shifter. Then adjust your backup switch (located on the column near the firewall) with your shifter in the "R" position until the lights come on.

6)Bad backup switch. Unplug the harness from the backup switch and short the dark green and the light green wires together. Your backup lights should come on. You can buy an replacement switch from Autozone for $5.

7) Bad fuse. You already checked that.

I'm sure there are other possibilities, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I've had just about every single one of these things happen to me at one time or another. It's depressing how many things can go wrong with such a seemingly simple circuit.

Last edited by pjmoreland; 09-26-2005 at 09:31 PM.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote