The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
4tiresngas
An American Soldier

Question 69 Parking Brake Release

Okay, I finally got a tension rod for the RH side and I installed all new cables for my parking brake. It previously just had a bent up cable coming from the parking brake pedal.

Now, it's all together, the parking brakes work, but when I pull the release, the pedal does not pop up. I only saw one spring on there that basically pulls the locking mechanism out of the way when you pull the release handle. Is there suppose to be another spring anywhere? Is it just the springs on the drum brakes that provide the pull back tension? Or, was my parking brake pedal assembly so rusted that even though I cleaned it up a little, it just does not want to pop back up?

Any help is appreciated. Two hours ago, I told my wife this would take me 30 minutes top....lol

dan.brue@us.army.mil
4tiresngas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:28 PM   #2
matthufham

on mine i was wondering the same thing but as i was pushing it up my driveway i kept using it and it seems to work good and might actually be factory... or just a missing spring. by pushing the foot part, teeth grab gears, and you have to hold the foot part down and pull the rod to disengage the gears from the teeth, then it should release. then put the gears "the rod" back in position. play with it some and that'll make sense.

edit
forget that, i just oiled my PB assembly and it works like it should now

Last edited by matthufham; 09-28-2005 at 06:07 PM.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
4tiresngas
An American Soldier

Yep, put a little white grease on there and played with it a while...good to go! Thanks.

dan.brue@us.army.mil
4tiresngas is offline   Reply With Quote