The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
Jimbotronics
YA YA

Ebay rant - it's for a van not a truck

Sorry - it's so long but I needed to rant....

First off, I know there is a very good article here on the board under FAQ that defines how to convert the column to a truck. However, that's not the point - the fact I was bidding on a truck column and not a van column is.

I came across an auction that clearly stated "truck" 67-72 c10. Where as I would normally have emailed the seller and asked questions, it was at the auction's end and there just wasn't time. I received the item very promptly and well packaged. I was so excited that I imediately ripped it out of the box - first thing I notice that it has a flat connector and not a horseshoe style plug, then sure enough I placed it next to my old column and the shaft is longer. I emailed the seller explaining that I was upset that I didn't get what was advertised. Here's his response as well as my response to his response..lol I don't mind critisism so who's in the right?

Subject: Re: Tilt steering column

We purchased the column on ebay a good while back to use in a truck which we were planning on restoring but ended up selling. If you will check out some of our other auctions you will see that we have been selling a lot of truck parts. We purchased it for a truck and assumed that it was correct, we have had several inquiries and gave everyone that asked the length of the shaft as one ebayer told me that was where the difference was. It was never our intention to sell anyone anything which was not correct as we purchase most of our parts on ebay also.

We am very sorry that the column isn't what you expected, if you would like to return it we will happily refund your payment less shipping as our policy states.

Thanks,
Mary

My response: (haven't gotten a reply from this response yet):

Here’s the problem with your statement – If you’re going to sell something, do your homework and find out what you’re selling. Had you advertised it as a van column I wouldn’t have bought it and we wouldn’t be having this conversation (I can pick van columns up all day for under $75, which is about what you would get for it when you re-list it as a VAN column).

I feel the honest and proper thing to settle this would be to refund me the difference in value or you eat the cost of shipping in both directions. Remember, you listed it wrong and should be no fault of mine. I challenge you to show me anywhere in your auction that it remotely mentions the possibility of being a van column. I think you knew it was a van column and that’s why you didn’t have better photos of it.

You’re like the camel’s back, the last six or seven things I have bought off ebay hasn’t been what was listed and I’ve left positive feedback anyway because I didn’t want a negative myself. You know what, I’m tired of it – If you don’t agree with my requests, I’ll contact fair trade and then I will leave you a negative feedback.

Please understand, I’m not trying to be an ass - I’m putting a lot of money into a complete frame-off project. I bid,won, and prompty paid! For what reason do you think it’s fair that you send me something falsely advertised that I have to alter and 'make work'?

Thanks,

Jim

'72 SWB - 350 (frame-off resto in progress - donations accepted)

'04 Chevy Avalanche

'03 Cadillac CTS (wife's ride)

Restoration progress - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335707
Jimbotronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
redhead69
fugedaboutit

Been there done that.. sorry about your bad transaction. I had a similar problem with a seller (60-72chrome) or something like that. I got what was advertised but got the run around about the shipping and then rec. a very poorly packaged part that was scratched. I've been burnt on the last minute deals too.. its almost worth asking questions just to get a responce, that way you know what kind of person your dealing with. For example: If I were buying a wing window from someone that said it was in good shape, I then email them and ask "is there any scratches in the glass?" and they respond back with a one word response "no" and thats it... I stay away because that tells me they dont have 1 f'ing minute to write a better description and say thanks for looking...Just write me back and show me you are willing to work with me. I'm going on and on too!! but man that really burns me!
Old 09-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
HeavyD

I also paid big bucks for a van tilt advertised as a truck column - not on Ebay but private deal. Good thing the board has taught me the differences between the 2.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #4
tomatocity

Some people say I ask too many questions but transactions like yours reassures me why I continue to ask these questions. Hopefully this person 'Mary' realizes what she did and will reimburse you for all of your expenses. If not, follow there auctions and conact all of the bidders and send them your story and their response.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
see ten
WTB this ad

As they say buyer beware! I am currently trying to get a refund on a fairing for a GSXR that the seller claimed only needed a sticker. I emailed and asked them if it had any other damage and they said it did not. When it arrived it looked like it had been used as a frisbee by kids who couldn't catch in a gravel driveway. At least the seller offered you your purchase price back. I would be more than happy to get back the purchase price on this fairing. As far as the seller knowing it was the wrong part, who knows. I don't know them, you apperently don't know them either. They could be honest people or a bunch of crooks. I have came out like a rose on some of these last minute deals and some times It seems like I step in a bucket of something heavy and brown that smells very badly. If they offered you your purchase price back I doubt ebay or Paypal is going to ask them to do any different. If you paid with Paypal when you file a claim it will give you an option of "full refund" or "partial refund and keep item". I am by no means taking sides here only sharing my opinion and experience with similar scenario. Good luck on coming to a resolution!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:53 PM   #6
Warbones
Navel Inspector

Regardless. If you are selling something then know what you're selling. It's not hard. If you are not for sure state so in the ad. Pretty simple. Link the auctions so that we might read it ourselves and make an actual call as to what we feel is fair. I'd like seeing both sides.

1967 CST C10 Long Bed with a 283
Warbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:29 PM   #7
Jimbotronics
YA YA

Here's the auction link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

The seller has done a lot of selling on ebay and looking through previous sells folks have gotten really good deals from them. I don't think I got all that bad a deal for the van tilt - but that's not the point, point is I was bidding on a truck tilt.

'04 Chevy Avalanche

Last edited by Jimbotronics; 09-30-2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #8
redhead69
fugedaboutit

Tricky wording.. ugh.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:42 PM   #9
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD
I also paid big bucks for a van tilt advertised as a truck column - not on Ebay but private deal. Good thing the board has taught me the differences between the 2.

I wish I could get someone to go to this one yard with me and show me
the differance, they have over 250 columns in storage, and the newest
vehicle they have on their lot is an 80's car, lots to be had if you know
what your looking for, someday maybe I will find one before it's all gone
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:11 PM   #10
moneyguru

Well my thoughts are based on the seller stating this in their listing:

"THIS IS A TILT STEERING COLUMN WHICH WAS USED ON THE 1967-72 CHEVROLET AND GMC PICKUPS. "

They owe a full refund on purchase price and must incur the cost of shipping.
Remind them that it isn't that you aren't satisfied with the item, it's that they didn't ship you the item you won, which is a "TILT STEERING COLUMN WHICH WAS USED ON THE 1967-72 CHEVROLET AND GMC PICKUPS. "

Tell them they have a chance to correct this by sending a UPS call tag to pick up the item and shipping you the correct item, or refunding you the money you spent.

It's just like ordering a shirt on-line, if you ordered a white polo and they sent you a pink t-shirt, they have to fix it.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2005, 10:15 PM   #11
jakeslim
Premium Level Member

i bought some crap here recently...amazing what people will sell...intentions were not good unless they are blind and can't see what they are selling.(no offense to the blind). Hopefully they will give money back to accomodate your hassles.

77 K5 - 383, auto, 6" lift, D60 front, 14b rear, 39" tsl's,
jakeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:20 PM   #12
Jimbotronics
YA YA

Couple more responses:

Jim,
I can understand your frustration, but please try to understand my side. I purchased the column on ebay as a truck column. I never tried to install it and don't know how to tell the difference between a truck and a van column. I still don't know how to tell the difference. I bought it as a truck column and never opened it until we took it out of the box to make the pictures for ebay, I had no reason to believe it was anything else. I had several inquires from people about the shaft length, which seemed to be the main concern. Had you emailed me I would have gladly answered any questions you might have had. I would have even sent you more pictures if you had asked for them. I'm sorry about the quality of the picture but I did the best I could.
If you will check our feedbacks you will see that we have no negatives feedbacks, but if you feel that you must be the one to change that and that we should be the ones to pay for your frustrations then I guess that is what you need to do.
Again, I will gladly refund your money for the column as stated in our policy.
God bless and have a nice day!
Mary

My response to above:

Mary,

I don't think you do understand my frustrations, if you did you wouldn't expect me to be out of pocket for your error. I noticed the auction at the last moment so emailing you wasn't an option. Again, I trusted that as a seller you knew what you were selling - you seem nice, however, continously turning the table as not knowing so it's not your fault is not being very fair in my opinion. If I advertised a real diamond ring that you paid good money for and sent you a fake one - would you be upset or accept my apologies in that it looked real to me?

I talked to a couple different people that would be willing to give $100 for it, if you would be willing to meet me half way with that I would be happy and move on my way. By halfway I mean refund me the difference of final auction price and $100, Otherwise, I'm out shipping and you're out the hassle of re-listing as well as now knowing it's a van and not a truck column so it won't bring near as much.

Please understand, I'm not trying to rip you off just trying to make a wrong a right.

Thanks,
Jim

'04 Chevy Avalanche

Old 10-01-2005, 12:13 AM   #13
Castiron9
72 LONGHORN OWNER

I thought we were done with E-bay rants........

70-C/30 DUALLY
Castiron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:17 AM   #14
hilljob26

the heck with it,id just leave negative feedback,they have no reason to leave you negative feedback,let others know that these people dont know what in the heck they are talking about,just my .02

HILLJOB GRAPHIX--for all your graphic needs
My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542497
LS ENGINE SWAP INFORMATION THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=377348
4l60 to an NP205
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...43#post3697343
hilljob26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:11 AM   #15
djracer

Be careful leaving negative feedback! I just left it for the first time for an a**hole who never sent me a da*b thing and kept 134.00 of my money and they left me negative feedback saying I screwed them. their argument was that they sent me a tracking number the auction was suppossed to have insurance included with the shipping. The tracking number was a ups tracking number and my package was shipped usps! I may make a road trip to florida for the principal!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:18 AM   #16
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

The seller had the words "'67-'72 TRUCKS" in the heading. This was missleading. But you have to really study the picture to see it is for a van. The netural switch is missing but you can see where it was (hole and to high) and the plug is flat. But all this is hard to see in that picture. You almost need a maginfy (sp) glass to see it. ( I wish I could spell) I am putting a van tilt in my '70 and just moved the safty switch down. Mine is missing the plug all together. Just has the wires. Must have been a lot of vans out there with tilt. Good luck. She should give you what you want.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #17
jakeslim
Premium Level Member

get your money back, leave negative feedback WITH a link to a copy of the original sale page so that others can see the deceptive sales practice.

If seller was truly mistaken and did not know it, they should comp back shipping also. I know I would.

77 K5 - 383, auto, 6" lift, D60 front, 14b rear, 39" tsl's,
jakeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:12 PM   #18
Jimbotronics
YA YA

Seller came through - after much arguing and ranting the seller has agreed to a refund item + shipping. Whether or not i send it back is to be determined (my buddy wants it) however, getting them to admit it was wrong and agree to a refund was my motive.
The other thing that is a possibility is that they've seen this board posting.... Now I'm faced with leaving Neutral, positive or no feedback at all... Had they agree to a refund from the git go I likely would have still kept it but left a positive feedback.

Jim,
After much discussion about the column, we have decided that the best thing is for you to return the column to us and we will refund you the auction price plus the shipping both ways. It was never our intention, even though you don't believe it to deceive anyone, and we want to make sure the column is destroyed and can't cause problems for any one else.
I will send you a full refund as soon as the column arrives back here.

'04 Chevy Avalanche

Last edited by Jimbotronics; 10-01-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #19
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

That seems fair..There are alot of sellers that would not do what they did. Plus, he said he will destroy the column so it won't cause problems for anyone else..Sounds like he is trying to look out for his buyers.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #20
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonebad2
That seems fair..There are alot of sellers that would not do what they did. Plus, he said he will destroy the column so it won't cause problems for anyone else..Sounds like he is trying to look out for his buyers.

He is a she. Can not see destroing the column. Oh well. She could seel it as a van column. I would not give her a bad feedback. If nothing else-No feedback at all. But sounds like she just did not know but is trying to do the right thing and I would give her a positive and she do the same. MO

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:18 PM   #21
moneyguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotronics
Now I'm faced with leaving Neutral, positive or no feedback at all... Had they agree to a refund from the git go I likely would have still kept it but left a positive feedback.
Obviously you and the seller didn't see eye to eye, possibly it just took them
some time to be able to see it from the buyer's point of view.

If after you return it to the seller they provide a full refund as agreed they
then deserve to receive positive accurate feedback, something like this:

"unfortunatley item wasn't what seller thought it was, but they provided a full refund"
Old 10-01-2005, 01:25 PM   #22
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86swb
He is a she. Can not see destroing the column. Oh well. She could seel it as a van column. I would not give her a bad feedback. If nothing else-No feedback at all. But sounds like she just did not know but is trying to do the right thing and I would give her a positive and she do the same. MO
Sorry...Maybe I should change he to we....The last response said "we decided"..I should'nt assume it was a guy selling parts. Nothing wrong with junking your own column..After all...You own it.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #23
Derrickbwg

I recently bought a "two Honda Cbr600F4i front rotors", the pics were in the auction. When I got them they were of course 2 of the same side The way I looked at it was the ad was misleading but it was my responsibility as well to check the pics and know what I was bidding on. They were at the last moment as well so I didn't get the answer to my email and I bid anyway. If I would have examined the pic a little better or asked for clarification(wasn't his fault that it was at the last minute) I wouldn't have to sell these suckers on ebay individually. Don't get me wrong, I'm pissed...but now it's a lesson learned and I don't fall prey to ebay fever as easy anymore.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #24
modifiedGMC

"THIS IS A TILT STEERING COLUMN WHICH WAS USED ON THE 1967-72 CHEVROLET AND GMC PICKUPS. IT IS MISSING THE POINTER FOR THE SHIFT SELECTOR.

QUESTIONS WELCOME.
PAYMENT BY PAYPAL, CASHIERS CHECK, MONEY ORDER, OR PERSONAL CHECK WITH A 10 DAY WAIT. BUYER PAYS ACTUAL SHIPPING CHARGES NO HIDDEN HANDLING FEES. WE SHIP IN THE USA ONLY,CANADA WITH PRE APPROVAL. "

In my opinion the key words here are "QUESTIONS WELCOME". Had you "asked" you may have gotten the answer you needed to make the decision if it's original or not. Van columns can be "used on 1967-1972 trucks" so that part was not totally untrue.

"Seller's payment instructions & return policy
A FULL REFUND ON AUCTION PRICE WILL BE GIVEN IF NOT COMPLETELY SATISFIED; DOES NOT INCLUDE THE COST OF SHIPPING"

If the column was not what you wanted then by their return policy you should have sent it back and got purchase price refunded no matter what the reason you are unsatisfied. Here is the other penny in my 3 cents worth, When you "BID" on an auction you are "legally" agreeing to the terms listed in the auction. If they had said "no returns" then you would have to bite the dust on it. Too many times people bid without ASKING QUESTION first. If you don't ask because it's ending then You better make sure you agree with all the list says. P.S no that was not my auction.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #25
Jimbotronics
YA YA

But then the auction should say "This is a van column that can be used in the 67-72 chevy truck"

I'm not trying to go on and on about this. My gut feeling is she received TONS of question about this column who likely informed her that it was indeed a van column ( I know that had I emailed the quetion to her I would have responded with "unfortunately, you have a van column and recommend updating your auction to say so"). I feel confident that she was probably told many times that it was a van. She knew the van column wouldn't bring us much and geared her auction accourdingly.

[QUOTE=modifiedGMC]"THIS IS A TILT STEERING COLUMN WHICH WAS USED ON THE 1967-72 CHEVROLET AND GMC PICKUPS. IT IS MISSING THE POINTER FOR THE SHIFT SELECTOR. QUOTE]

'04 Chevy Avalanche