The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Derrickbwg

Mounting '82 corvette buckets..

I just picked up a set of '82 corvette bucket seats and I'm now wondering the best route to mount them. They need to be higher than their factory tracks by 6-7" and I was curious if anyone had experience doing something like that. If I have to drill holes in the floor of the cab to mount, is there a standard way of securing the mounting bolts(are washers enough)? Thanks for any ideas.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:32 PM   #2
matthufham

buy some heavy angle iron and weld you some bracketry. drill holes in the floor, put a brace under the floor where your nut will be, and you should weld that too.

Last edited by matthufham; 09-30-2005 at 07:33 PM.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
greenhorn male

Not sure if they will work for you but I may have a couple of pairs of 73+ blazer bucket seat brackets (both drivers side) available pretty soon. They are taller than the 69-72 blazer brackets. I beleive the outer fronts will line up with the existing holes. They will both have the slider release on the left side so you may have to cut the passenger release arm after you set the seat distance or use the slider as is. I also have one passenger side without the back bracket but if your passenger doesn't wear a seat belt he will get launched through the windshield on a sudden stop The total front height is 9" but you could probably modify the height.

Last edited by greenhorn male; 03-30-2006 at 02:30 AM.
greenhorn male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

Vette Seats

I used 69 Vette seats in mine. I built a frame out of 1" square tubing. It works great and was pretty simple. The original Vette seat tracks were used since the floor on a Vette is relatively flat.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2005, 09:18 PM   #5
Derrickbwg

I appreciate the pics with measurements. I'm not sure if I could use the whole units because the seats have tracks and one is power and I'd like to utilize it. The mounting tabs might work though. The drivers side (powered) when it is raised as high as it will go is a pretty good height, maybe a tad bit low. I'd still have to do something for the passenger side so I'll probably just make the same base for both sides and go from there.

Last edited by Derrickbwg; 09-30-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Derrickbwg

have any pics of the mounts up close gonebad2? I like the 60's model seats but they are getting pretty pricey.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:43 PM   #7
greenhorn male

I am using the 67-68 buddy frame to mount buckets on. I was going to use mercedes seats because their sliders don't have the wire that goes accross, and they are soooo cushy and bouncy, but opted for cash instead (sold them). They required a wider mount and I couldn't use a buddy seat with them. I am fitting some Van captains seats on them next. I got the drivers side on but haven't fitted it on the truck yet. What is nice about the buddy bracket frame is they bolt right up to stock holes.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:36 AM   #8
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

I can try and get more pics and measurements of the frame base this weekend. Corvette seats from 68 to 77 were very similar. Check out eBay.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:09 AM   #9
gator2511

Unless something has changed the plastic cover for the power seat controls are rare as hens teeth. I had a very nice 82 Vette and that was the hardest thing to find. They are in a very exposed position and easy to break. I found my last ones at the Cypress Gardens National event in the swap meet. Maybe someone makes them by now.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:22 AM   #10
Derrickbwg

I hope not...mines in good shape I have to dye the seat pans black and recover but I got them for $100 and I like the shape. What should I be able to get a buddy frame(if I could find one) for...ballpark?
Green horn: any idea how high the top of the buddy frame is from the floor of the cab?
Thanks

Last edited by Derrickbwg; 10-01-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #11
greenhorn male

Front: 5-1/2"; Rear:4"
Old 10-01-2005, 01:27 PM   #12
Derrickbwg

man I really appreciate the numbers. I like the idea of the buddy frame alot but I'm thinking it might be hard to come by and expensive. I'll ask in the FS/WTB forum but whiule I'm here...anyone have one they'd like to part with?