The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
Premium72

braided stainless brake lines..

lookn to get some brake lines on this monster next week...thinkn on how to go from the master cylidar. with the steel or with the braided?.. anyone have any pics of braided lines? or how theyve been run?..thanx. w.

Last edited by Premium72; 10-03-2005 at 02:39 PM.
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
Stroker

I think the only place the braided lines are used is as a replacement for the black hose right at the wheels. The rest of the system would be ran with hard line in steel or stainless steel.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
Premium72

hmm...would there be any diasadvantage other than price of doing the whole system braided..will it look like crap at the MC?..just trying to do sum different things and this is one that will be happening soon...hmm...not sure..the brake lines are the only things ive never really done..well see how it goes..thanx. w.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #4
raidermanny

I would think it would look kinda cool with braided lines, but I've never seen it done.
raidermanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:39 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

my rear line is braided stainless and both the fronts are braided stainless. no problems at all....these are on my 71 halfton 4x4. just rearead your post. i have hardlines from the master and hardlines down the frame rails.

Last edited by CG; 10-03-2005 at 08:40 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

well, on the new GM vans, they have braided lines off the master cylinder, and they ALWAYS leak. They are actually on national back order.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
Premium72

hmm well. i dont know what to do...i may just be doin the ol plane lines then...who knows. ..w
Old 10-04-2005, 01:47 AM   #8
4x4Poet

Hard line, pre-bent replacements are available in SS for longevity and looks.

Nuthin' wrong with bringing along looks with longevity.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:43 AM   #9
basketcase

A friend that has done a lot of Chevy and Corvette restorations warned me against using stainless hard lines. It seems that often hair line cracks can be found in the fold of the double flare. I just got a regular steel kit and I'm not at all happy with the fit. Some of the bends are close, others are general at best and some are just plain wrong. I called and verified that the kit was correct for a '72 2wd with power disc and was told the same supplier supplies most vendors. I believe that. Looks like I'll have to get the bender out and do some re-shaping.

The originals were already stripped out of my basketcase when I bought it so I don't have anything to compare with. Of course they were for drums too but they would have been close. Has anyone else had any major problems with line kits?

Anyone have good pictures of the lines installed onthe chassis?

Tom

Last edited by basketcase; 10-04-2005 at 04:46 AM.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:47 AM   #10
Stroker

I have a 72 with aftermarket stainless lines. The installation is not 100% complete but most of the hardlines are on the chassis. What areas would you like pics for?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:41 PM   #11
Premium72

id like pics of your mastcyldr and all back..haha..all you got would be cooll thanx. w.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:48 PM   #12
basketcase

Thanks Stroker.

I need to see the junction blocks for the front brakes where the mc line comes down to the front brake lines. Also need to see how the front lines go around the frame to the brake hose bracket on the crossmember on both sides. This is one place where my lines go the wrong way or don't have enough radius in them and will need to be tweeked. The junction block was MIA and the AIM doesn't show it nor does any vendor so i'm flying blind there.

The rear brake crossover and mc lines are fairly close and a minor tweek will do on them.

Tom
Old 10-04-2005, 11:27 PM   #13
Stroker

Hope these help. I don't have a cab on so I can't be any help with the Master Cylinder routing.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2005, 01:54 PM   #14
basketcase

Thanks for the pics. I printed them and am taking them to the garage too see if I can figure this out.

Tom
Old 10-06-2005, 02:39 PM   #15
basketcase

More confused than ever

Well it appears that I have the line set that you have. Is your truck a 3/4?

The problem is that with the calipers on a 1/2 ton mounted to the back side of the rotor why would the lines run under the motor mounts to the front side? The clip for the rubber hose is welded to the back side on the crossmember. Those holes that have the line clamps bolted to them under the motor mounts on my 1/2 ton have never been used. One even still has the factory soft frame coating almost completely closing it off. Also the 1/2 ton mc lines come down on the inside of the frame except for a few '69s.

I think I may have the wrong lines even though Harmon's says that the package has the right number. I think I need to call them and talk to Eric again. He was very helpfull when I ordered the parts. I hope he knows his stuff.

I'm wondering if I would be better off just rebending and shortening the lines to fit. It would be easy but then I have to remember that I paid for lines that fit in the first place so i wouldn't have to design my own.

Glad this is only a hobby that I can walk away from when things get frustrating.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:39 PM   #16
Stroker

My truck is a 72 1/2 ton SWB. I'm guessing that you have a 69 that you've converted to disk brakes. On my 72 the bracket for the clip is on the front side of the crossmember. This pic is kinda small but is's all I have that shows the routing to the caliper. Not sure who's truck or what year but it looks like it's set up with the same hose bracket as my 72.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2005, 04:58 PM   #17
Stroker

This post has a few more shots of a 72 that show some of the routing to the caliper.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=169301
Old 10-07-2005, 04:48 AM   #18
basketcase

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

You just solved the mistery. The '69 clips are on the back side of the crossmember and the '71-'72 clips are on the front. Those pictures and your explaination tell it all. It looks like I'll have to move the clips to the front side then all will be well. I can see that the rubber hose will be much better protected doing it that way than re-bending the lines to use the clips on the back.

Tom
Old 10-07-2005, 05:07 AM   #19
basketcase

This is going to be easy. There is enough meat on those tabs that I can cut them off with a cut-off wheel and have plenty of tab to drill through and bolt them on or stick them on with the Lincoln. I'll fit the lines first and let that determine where the tabs need to be. I'll need to order the clips for under the motor mounts or maybe NAPA has a universal one.

Last edited by basketcase; 10-07-2005 at 05:07 AM.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:33 PM   #20
Stroker

Sounds like you got a handle on it now. Be sure to post some pics when you get the lines all routed in. Good Luck.