The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2005, 01:09 PM   #1
My '77

Can I use my step bumper to tow?

I am new to trucking and have a question.

My step bumper is rated as 800# tongue and 8,000# towing capacity. I want to occasonally tow about 5.000# (3,500# for a car and and open trailer) around Indiana and there abouts, so hills are not a problem. All towing will be within a 250 mile radius.

These ratings suggest that I could use the bumper on the truck. I have noticed, however, that a lot of trucks have both a step bumper and a frame hitch (Reese, Draw-Tite, etc.). Is it safe to use the step bumper or is a another system necessary. If we need a separate system, why?

Last edited by My '77; 10-09-2005 at 01:14 PM.
My '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I wouldn't, but then I am not you. I would install a quality tube hitch to ensure that I would never see my trailer passing me at an inopportune time. The odds that you will overload your bumper's capapcity is really big and you need to just get the right stuff first and then do it right.....

That bumper is really just a light show piece and the capability to pull the family boat to the lake is it's real limit. Go large and enjoy piece of mind...
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:22 PM   #3
SSC's76
No No

You could do it, I wouldent suggest it. Like PParts mentioned a good receiver hitch will be the best choice. a Class III will work fine and only costs $130-150 for everything needed.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
My '77

Thanks for your responses. I will look into a Class 111 hitch.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
T-Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts
That bumper is really just a light show piece and the capability to pull the family boat to the lake is it's real limit.
I disagree ... If you say the bumper is rated at 8,000 lbs then it is almost a class IV reciever (Rated at 9,000 lbs).

Class III hitches are for towing up to 6,000 lbs. weight carrying and up to 10.000 lbs weight distributing.

Class IV hitches are designed to tow up to 9.000 lbs. weight carrying and up to 12,000 lbs weight distributing.

I pull a Bobcat & trailer almost daily with a step bumper on my 76. I do however have trailer brakes because of the tarrain here in northern Ga. But in Indiana that shouldn't be a problem.

"That bumper is really just a light show piece" Not true. If the bumper is STAMPED 8,000 then its good for 8,000 if it weren't then GM would have recalled them long ago because of lawsuits.
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
iceman7329
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone
I disagree ... If you say the bumper is rated at 8,000 lbs then it is almost a class IV reciever (Rated at 9,000 lbs).

Class III hitches are for towing up to 6,000 lbs. weight carrying and up to 10.000 lbs weight distributing.

Class IV hitches are designed to tow up to 9.000 lbs. weight carrying and up to 12,000 lbs weight distributing.

I pull a Bobcat & trailer almost daily with a step bumper on my 76. I do however have trailer brakes because of the tarrain here in northern Ga. But in Indiana that shouldn't be a problem.

"That bumper is really just a light show piece" Not true. If the bumper is STAMPED 8,000 then its good for 8,000 if it weren't then GM would have recalled them long ago because of lawsuits.

We pull a Bobcat every now and then and a big tractor some to with our 88 Dodge truck with the step bumper and this bumper has dents in it and its bent some to and weve never had any problems.
iceman7329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:49 PM   #7
454HO

I think the biggest difference is that with a 2" receiver hitch you have the option of using a load distributing type of coupler. These have bars that transfer some of the tongue weight to the front wheels of the tow vehicle. This increases the towing capacity. But be careful, the hitch rating may exceed what the tow vehicle can actually tow safely. In other words, just because the bumper or receiver is rated to tow 5000lbs does not automatically mean the rest of the vehicle can support that.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:55 AM   #8
86 GMG

i have pulled loads from cars and trucks to tractors and scrap on trailers all my life with a bumper reciever and even the frame hitch aftermarket theY both worked the same the only thing i notice, that was diffrent is the hitch drops the nose of the trailer down a little lower than the bumper this levels out the trailer and pulls a little easier. but the basics is if the bumper is rated at an amount it will work and pull that amount safely per GM. if it wouldnt work on the older trucks than the newer trucks wouldnt have the bumpers available to put a ball on and tow with now a days
Old 10-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #9
My '77

Again, I appreciate all your comments. In my case, the aftermarket bumper was installed last February with new bolts so rust is not a problem. Based on the later responses I will probably try using the step bumper. Of course, I plan to use a trailer with brakes. Pulled one of my cars home using a one friend's F150 and another friend's open trailer without brakes. Never want to do that again.

For the record I really liked the F150 (was a 1979, I believe). Cannot remember if it had a hitch or a step bumper. I collect Vettes and could not see anything but a Bow Tie to tow with.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
T-Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454HO
just because the bumper or receiver is rated to tow 5000lbs does not automatically mean the rest of the vehicle can support that.
454 said it best.... #1) Invest in trailer brakes, you would be suprised what a difference it makes.#2) Tranny cooler, A must have. #3) Helper springs.#4) Good tires. #5) Good brakes on your PU.
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:56 PM   #11
Russell
Professional Grade

My grandfather used to pull the cowtrailer off my truck's step bumper, with no trailer brakes

Those cows and bulls are not light creatures, so it was a lot of weight back there. Personally, I'd never do the same, but my bumper seems to have held up ok. I've got a class IV hitch on my truck with a momentum type trailer brake now, I'd never tow with anything less.