The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
Derrickbwg

Help with a/c..

Any ideas how the a/c compressor will mount with the setup I have below? I'm assuming I can move the alternator to the other side with a mount of some sort but I'm not sure how I will be able to mount the compressor. Is there a bracket or something I'm missing that I will need? Thanks
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You have a long water pump bracket and pulley setup. You need to convert to short pump setup to be factory correct.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:26 PM   #3
Derrickbwg

Of course I should have known it wouldn't be that easy Is there a specific type water pump asembly/bracket that I need? Are all the short assemblies the same or do I need one specifically for a/c? Alot of questions I know
Old 10-09-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
matthufham

short water pump is all you need. i believe the alternator goes on the other side, and the compressor goes on the pass side. I haven’t figured out my brackets yet because the guy had headers and a custom bracket for the alternator as well as a tractor pulley on it, and no ac for me to start with.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:43 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthufham
short water pump is all you need. i believe the alternator goes on the other side, and the compressor goes on the pass side. I haven’t figured out my brackets yet because the guy had headers and a custom bracket for the alternator as well as a tractor pulley on it, and no ac for me to start with.
Well, he'll also need the two alternator brackets, crank pulleys, water pump pulley, and power steering pump, pulley and brackets if he has power steering.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:49 PM   #6
matthufham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
Well, he'll also need the two alternator brackets, crank pulleys, water pump pulley, and power steering pump, pulley and brackets if he has power steering.
wow, shows what an engineer my PO was. he said he had that alt. deep groove pulley becasue the belt kept coming off, until he bought a new header style alt. bracket.
you could mount the compressor foward some with custom brackets and keep the long water pump and the pulleys.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #7
Derrickbwg

Quote:
Well that sucks.....I follow most of it but why a new power steering pump, oulley and brackets?
Old 10-09-2005, 09:57 PM   #8
matthufham

or
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthufham
you could mount the compressor foward some with custom brackets and keep the long water pump and the pulleys.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:01 PM   #9
Derrickbwg

lol...well then wht do you mean by mounting it forward? On the same side as the Alternator?
Old 10-09-2005, 10:41 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrickbwg
Well that sucks.....I follow most of it but why a new power steering pump, oulley and brackets?
They are all different between the short and long water pump setup. The pump is different, pulley is different, and brackets different. They mount way different. Not interchanagble at all.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:31 PM   #11
matthufham

ok long water pumps extend towards the front more than a short water pump, so they're longer. by mounting the compressor foward with longer brackets, you can keep your long water pump and all the pulleys in place. you save yourself from buying new pulleys that are designed to be closer to the engine with a short water pump.

Last edited by matthufham; 10-09-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:51 PM   #12
kwmech

Or you can purchase a serpentine set-up. I just got one, and in process of installing it, sweet setup with the alt and ac on the correct sides.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:18 AM   #13
72jimmycst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrickbwg
Any ideas how the a/c compressor will mount with the setup I have below? I'm assuming I can move the alternator to the other side with a mount of some sort but I'm not sure how I will be able to mount the compressor. Is there a bracket or something I'm missing that I will need? Thanks
Yeah, your missing a bracket or two. I should have what you need just sold all my a/c stuff to a guy with a bb so I kept all the small block stuff, just need to think where.
72jimmycst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:23 AM   #14
cypress TX 72
Saving one 72 at a time!!

I have all those old small block brackets as well, If I remember correctly there is also a custom bracket/spacer that makes it possible to bolt the bottom bracket to the heads through your headers..... Again if I remember right, I bought it from O'reilly in the Mr. Gasket section... it was a pretty standard spacer/bracket.
cypress TX 72 is offline   Reply With Quote