The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
ole school

Exclamation question about split rims

i have a 69 chevy tow truck with split rims on them . i want to swap them to regular rims but cant find any that will fit 3/4 ton wheels will fit the front i havent tried the rear but i need something like a dualie wheel any ideas?

1968 crew cab build (under construction)
ole school is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:54 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Simply use later model non split wheels.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

What he said - look for any newer 1 ton with duals (except Ford - they may have the metric bolt pattern).

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole school
i have a 69 chevy tow truck with split rims on them . i want to swap them to regular rims but cant find any that will fit 3/4 ton wheels will fit the front i havent tried the rear but i need something like a dualie wheel any ideas?
I TOO HAVE A 1 TON TOW TRUCK (THEY ARE SO COOL). IT HAD SPLIT DUALLYS ON THE BACK & SOLID RIMS ON THE FRONT. (GO FIGURE) THE ORIGINAL RIMS HAD 1/2" STUDS. ALL THE NEWER DUALLY RIMS HAVE .675/.685 DIA. HOLES IN THE RIMS SO IT IS NOT JUST A BOLT ON PROPOSITION. YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE STUD SIZE IN YOUR AXELS TO 5/8". IT'S A PRETTY SIMPLE PROCEDURE. JUST DRILL THEM OUT AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN TO A .007 PRESS FIT ON YOUR NEW STUDS & USE A DIE GRINDER WITH A CARBIDE BURR, & CHECK THE SIZE OFTEN WITH A PAIR OF DIAL CALIPERS. I BOUGHT MINE AT NAPA, & THEY HAD TO ORDER THE STUDS & LUG NUTS. (TELL THEM TO LOOK IN THE DORMAN CATALOG) THEY WERE KINDA SPENDY. I THINK THEY WERE AROUND $120 FOR 16 STUDS & LUG NUTS. I HAVE EITHER FORD OR DODGE RIMS. (I CAN'T REMEMBER WITCH) I RECOMEMD GETTING THE LUG NUTS WITH THE FLANGE ON THEM LIKE ALL THE NEW TRUCKS & MOTOR HOMES. HERES A PIC. JOHN
OH & 3/4 TON WHEELS WILL NOT WORK ON A 1 TON DUALLY
Attached Images

LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:40 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I machined chamfers into my chrome Budds and use beveled lug nuts on the stock studs,no problems.The hub fits and carries the weight.I wanted to go to the 9/16 studs and the old fart machinist talked me out of it because he had done the same on his car hauler with success.I still like Junkyard`s way best.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
junkyardjohn

THESE LUGS PROVIDE QUITE A LARGE AMOUNT OF PIECE OF MIND. ESPESIALLY WHEN TOWING 10,000 UP & OVER THESE MOUNTAINS. THE OLD 1/2" STUDS WERE CONSTANTLY COMMING LOOSE EVERY 250 MILES OR SO. I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO TIGHTEN THESE UP ANY AT ALL IN OVER 15,000 MILES. DUEL WHEEL TRUCKS WERE (& ARE) DESIGNED TO USE FLAT, NON-ANGLED LUG NUTS WITH AS MUCH SURFACE AREA AS POSSIBLE. IT'S HAIRY ENOUGH TOWING VERY HEAVY VEHICALS WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT JERRY-RIGGED LUGNUTS. THERE ARE AN AWFUL LOT OF INNOCENT SOCCER MOMS IN MINI VANS OUT THERE ON THE ROAD, & HERE I COME BARRELING DOWN THE ROAD, DOING 50 OR 60 IN A 36 YEAR OLD 6500 LB TRUCK TOWING A VEHICAL WEIGHING BETWEEN 4,000 & 10,000 LBS. I'D HATE TO WIPE ONE OUT. PIECE OF MIND IS A WONDERFUL THING. SEEMS LIKE THE OLDER I GET... THE MORE IMPORTANT IT IS TO ME. GO FIGURE. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 10-10-2005 at 12:19 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote