The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
Putter
More Cowbell....

Powder Coat Oven

I looked at all of the threads in the body/painting section, so I thought I would ask here....

A while back, wasn't there a thread where some members had made a LARGE oven for powder coating out of a deep-freeze or something? I have a normal kitchen size oven and it works fine for small stuff like wheels and shorty headers, but I need to coat a few larger items that just won't fit in there.

Anyone have info or a thread link???
Old 10-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
tomatocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putter
I looked at all of the threads in the body/painting section, so I thought I would ask here...A while back, wasn't there a thread where some members had made a LARGE oven for powder coating out of a deep-freeze or something? I have a normal kitchen size oven and it works fine for small stuff like wheels and shorty headers, but I need to coat a few larger items that just won't fit in there.
I am interested in the same thing. Is your kitchen size oven gas or electric? What powder coating application tool are you using? I would like to powder coat the front and rear suspension parts when I lower and rebuild them.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
Putter
More Cowbell....

Oven?? If it is a small setup like mine, you have to use electric. Can't have flames anywhere near. But I have seen large setups on the internet that are natural gas, but the flame is not in the same 'room' like a house oven. The small unit from Eastwood is a nice one and is only $99.99. I experimented with it yesterday and the results are increadible, since I am still a novice. Smooth as glass and great coverage. Harbor Freight has one in the store for $99.99, but on the web it is $69.99....and the store honors the price if you print it out and take it in.

I still need to find an answer about coating aluminum....like serpentine brackets and such!! Can you coat aluminum????????
Old 10-11-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
StingRay

Sure you can coat aluminum. Preperation for real good adhesion can be a little more involved. Anything that will accept the static charge and can be heated hot enough can be coated. They are actually using special powder processes to coat MDF and fiberglass now! One local shop has a powdercoated beer bottle on display.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

How big of a part? Just found a local guy who is doing 65 parts for me,
including some touch up sandblasting before the coating, for $35 It
might be worth it to some of those close to me to drive up w/ parts
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putter
I looked at all of the threads in the body/painting section, so I thought I would ask here....

A while back, wasn't there a thread where some members had made a LARGE oven for powder coating out of a deep-freeze or something? I have a normal kitchen size oven and it works fine for small stuff like wheels and shorty headers, but I need to coat a few larger items that just won't fit in there.

Anyone have info or a thread link???
I was surprised when you said you powdercoat shorty headers. A friend of mine owned a huge powder coating company and told me that headers can't be done because they get too hot under normal use. Says the coating would burn off. Is there a new formula I haven't heard about?

The large commercial ovens that use natural gas have a sealed combustion chamber and those are big bucks.

Last edited by gonebad2; 10-11-2005 at 09:06 PM.
gonebad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:51 PM   #7
krue
Designated A-hole!

try the forum at Columbia coatings. They have some good oven plans (but don't mention any brand names when you post). Eastwood has a bb also. metalmeet.com has a few powder guys on there.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:52 PM   #8
krue
Designated A-hole!

Btw Eric, I believe there is a thread in FAQ on ovens.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:03 PM   #9
incoma

My plant is trying to sell an extra oven that was in a building we were renting. It's not a hobby oven though. I'd say it sits 8 ft tall and 5 feet deep. It's got a monster gas line running to it too. I'd guess at 1 1/2 inches. I think we're just trying to get someone to give us $100 for it if they disconnect and haul it out.
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:43 PM   #10
ronh72c10

Here's a link to the faq thread: Powdercoating Oven Links

Ron
38 Ford Tudor Humpback Sedan (from the darkside)
67 Pontiac Parisienne
55 Studebaker Commander 2dr Hardtop (Starliner)
My Youtube channel with Video Updates!
ronh72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:43 AM   #11
69 Short Fleet

Putter, try Eastwoods forum and check the powder coating section. A guy there built a huge one and installed the oven elements on the walls and tied it all in to some switches on the outside next to the door. It looked pretty cool, it was pretty big though but it might give you some ideas. Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:53 AM   #12
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8
How big of a part? Just found a local guy who is doing 65 parts for me,
including some touch up sandblasting before the coating, for $35 It
might be worth it to some of those close to me to drive up w/ parts
Yeah, but was he drunk or smoking rope when he quoted that? LOL

I guess depending on the parts, I would not think that would hardly cover the cost of the powder.

Mike

John 3:16
2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
onetoncrewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:34 AM   #13
cdowns

try the paint and body section
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:57 AM   #14
Putter
More Cowbell....

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoma
My plant is trying to sell an extra oven that was in a building we were renting. It's not a hobby oven though. I'd say it sits 8 ft tall and 5 feet deep. It's got a monster gas line running to it too. I'd guess at 1 1/2 inches. I think we're just trying to get someone to give us $100 for it if they disconnect and haul it out.
Okay...so I am waiting on your call then, right??? I will haul that SOB to Mississippi and hook her up in a flash! Hey, even at $500, that is still a great deal!!! Might powder coat the dog!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:02 AM   #15
Putter
More Cowbell....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonebad2
I was surprised when you said you powdercoat shorty headers. A friend of mine owned a huge powder coating company and told me that headers can't be done because they get too hot under normal use. Says the coating would burn off. Is there a new formula I haven't heard about?

The large commercial ovens that use natural gas have a sealed combustion chamber and those are big bucks.
Eastwood shows like 4 powders that will stand up to 1000 degrees. I am gonna give those a try on my current headers.
And for the oven, a local guy suggested I try and find an oven like is used in a pizza place. Either the one with the long door on the front and a stone bottom, or the one with the metal conveyer (sp) belt. Just coat and let it ride its way through!! (I know we would have to adjust the speed slow enough for it to be a 15 minute ride). It might be worth the effort to check it out!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:11 AM   #16
farside847

Those ovens from inside Noahs bagels are pretty cool too, the door opens up wide so you can wheel in racks of bagels...