The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
bobs86silv

Issues with heater hose routing??!!

I have never been able to get my truck to totally warm up. I replaced the tempeture sensor. Nothing. Checked the thermostat. None installed. Added a 195 thermostat. Now it warms up to like 1/4. the line between 100 and 210, so like maybe 150 or so. Then I checked the heater hoses. There is one coming off of the intake manifold, 5/8, leading to the heater core. A 3/4 comes from the heater core back to the radiator, right above the tranny fluid lines. Ok, so I have a constant flow of water through my radiator. How should I fix this. I do not see anywhere there should be a heat cut off switch. I am pretty sure I have always seen the return line going back to the water pump. I have an 86 silverado, 305/350. It has A/C, and heavy duty radiator option. What would be my next best course of action to unsure my motor is warming up to proper temperature.

thanks
robert
Old 10-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #2
86 GMG

i have seen the hoses both ways, my truck has to be in the intake rather than the waterpump i had it to the pump and it wouldnt heatup as soon as i move to the intake bam i had heat mybe this is the problem mine is an 86 also but the motor is out of another vehicle? older block anyway. not to insult your intelegant but did you put the t-stat in with the correct side up? that would cause it not to heat up also. best luck i will watch for a thumbs up from you later
Old 10-12-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

On my '86 the heater hose goes from the intake to the heater core, then to the radiator. That is the direction the water flows. My heater gets quite warm, and the truck warms up to the thermostat setting of 195 degrees.

The temp sensor should be located on he driver's side head between cylinders 1 and 3 I believe.

Slonaker
Old 10-12-2005, 10:41 PM   #4
bobs86silv

Ive done some other reading, and it seems that there are a couple of different ways the hoses can be hooked up. I guess right now the hot water from my intake is pushed through the heater core, back to the radiator, and new, cold/cooled water is sucked from the radiator into the water pump, and into the motor, preventing it from ever warming up. I guess I could plug where the hose goes back into the radiator, and re-run the return hose into the water pump. I dont know where I should plumb it to though. I know there is a plug screwed into the top of the water pump. Is this the only place I could route the hose to?? Does this seem like the right thing to do. I only drive around in town, so I never really see extended highway driving. Maybe that is why mine is not warming all the way up. I just know winter is coming on, and it will be zero out. It is seventy now, and not warming up.

Thanks
Robert
Old 10-13-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
86 GMG

i would try and move it from where it is know (intake to core and then to the radiator or waterpump to core and then to radiator) just to see what happens it wont take very long and if you are quik enough most of the antifreeze will be salvaged good luck and keep us informed
Old 10-14-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
BIG82
The Higher The Better

I am sorry I can't help you with your problem but maybe you guys can give me some advice about this. I am getting ready to hook my h hoses up and want to know the best routing.
BIG82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:00 AM   #7
badone07
Project 2 Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs86silv
Ive done some other reading, and it seems that there are a couple of different ways the hoses can be hooked up. I guess right now the hot water from my intake is pushed through the heater core, back to the radiator, and new, cold/cooled water is sucked from the radiator into the water pump, and into the motor, preventing it from ever warming up. I guess I could plug where the hose goes back into the radiator, and re-run the return hose into the water pump. I dont know where I should plumb it to though. I know there is a plug screwed into the top of the water pump. Is this the only place I could route the hose to?? Does this seem like the right thing to do. I only drive around in town, so I never really see extended highway driving. Maybe that is why mine is not warming all the way up. I just know winter is coming on, and it will be zero out. It is seventy now, and not warming up.

Thanks
Robert
Exactly how you described above is exactly how my truck is. Been that way since I bought it. Radiator nipple is plugged and hose rerouted to the water pump. Nipple is plugged with a recess headed pipe plug.
Attached Images

1984 C30 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
2004 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 (wife's)
1970 Mustang FB fully tubed (getting 521 BBF & powerglide)
1978 Nova 2dr (going BBCaddy & S.P. th400)
1984 Monte SS (circle track car)
badone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 06:40 AM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have had this year model of truck for a long time and before that I worked on them at a County Highway Dept. I have read the discussions in this forum and I can't quite understand the thinking that is going on. First of all, if you want heating in your cab during the winter months then LEAVE the hoses connected as discussed. (5/8" hose from the intake to the heater core and then return to the radiator through the 3/4" hose). This is not affecting your engine heating up one bit. If you are having a situation where your engine is not coming up to temp in the winter, then look at T/stat for the right temperature and then how big is your radiator (2 core, 3 core or 4 core). I have numerous trucks in my possession and I have no trouble bringing them up to a warm temperature and I even run 180 T/stats. I have decent sized radiators and I even have electric fans and a large "Be Cool" radiator on the one truck. My guess is that your trouble is not the heater hoses. Have you check the temperature sending unit to be the right one for that setup. My son's truck indcates lower than most of the other trucks, but the heater is warm and there are no performance issues with the motor.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote