The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2005, 02:23 AM   #1
muddpile

LMC 72 door panel quality.

As much as LMC is frowned upon on this board, it appears as if they are the only ones out there that have grey door panels and arm rests in the 1972 style. It says they paint them with a "UV resistant paint", but how does it hold up to having an arm resting on it or the odd mild abrasion? I will either be doing my interior in grey to match my 90's chev buckets, or reupholstering the buckets in parchment vinyl with plaid inserts to match the stock pieces I have. The seats are in REALLY nice shape, so I figure going with a grey interior would be a nice cheap solution, but if the new grey parts aren't any good, I might have to go with something else. Anyone have a pair of these panels in their truck? Thanks!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 02:52 AM   #2
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Give em try and let us know what you think.(I bet there are as many people that like them as that don't).LMC is not as frown upon as much as you would think.This board is very limited.LMC has been around a lot longer than most if not all other venders.Try to keep an open mind.

Last edited by kingsolver72; 10-15-2005 at 02:57 AM.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 04:12 AM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=169470 Might be another option.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:05 AM   #4
see ten
WTB this ad

I really don't think you want any aftermarket door panels for your 72. There is a reason not many people carry them, the fit and quality is very low. I tried a set of aftermarket panels a few years ago and I was disgusted with them. They aren't molded the same as the originals. They aren't even the same dimensions, they are molded to fit into the recess of the door instead of having the lip that just rolls out on to the flat part of the door. That might not make sense to you but if you had them in your hand you could see the difference. If you have the stainless trim or woodgrain on your factory ones it will not swap over to the aftermarket ones. The recessed area for the trim is not anywhere near the same size. the factory panels are molded as one piece, while the others have a seperate piece bonded or glued on for each mounting clip. Of course these parts cracked and broke off every time I tried to remove the door panels. I personaly feel you will be much happier if you find a good original set and have them repainted. I took my original parchment panels and had them lightly sandblasted. Then I dropped them off at a reputable (key word here) body shop that painted them with paint designed for interior panels.

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I was going to suggest what see ten did.LMC "creates" alot of replacement parts that are not necessarily the same as what they are intended to replace.This is my biggest beef with them.They do not make this clear and with their "mass-marketing" approach,there are many unknowledgable buyiers that don`t even know this.That is what is so great about a message board like this.It`s info,not bashing.And,in my book,LMC is a "new kid on the block" as a vendor of truck parts.Only jumping on the bandwagon when they saw the huge potential business once it was begun by the smaller,less known,higher quality vendor/enthusiasts.They have probably put some hurtin` on these other guys,like HomeDepot has on smaller local building supply/hardware stores.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:54 AM   #6
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

"Then I dropped them off at a reputable (key word here) body shop that painted them with paint designed for interior panels."

Here's the best option. If an original set is properly prepped (takes a special plastic prep liquid and a lot of elbow grease fro 30+ year old plastic door panels) and painted you won't even be able to scratch the paint off.

Last edited by mocwon; 10-15-2005 at 08:55 AM.
mocwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:29 AM   #7
Derrickbwg

I'm changing a set of '82 corvette buckets that are garnet red to black. All the corvette companies sell a product they call "Vinyl Dye". It is said to be good for the hard plastic seat pans and backs, dash, door panels and pulls. I prepped and tested a small section on the bottom, it comes in a can and paint like in it's application(maybe it is just paint with a flex agent or something). Once it dried I could not get it to flake off even by scratching it with a screwdriver, it just gouged it a little. If you want to take the time to clean and prep them well, this might work for you. Can be found at ecklers, mid america motorsports, even a guy on ebay sells it. Google for "vinyl dye" or "corvette interior dye".

Last edited by Derrickbwg; 10-15-2005 at 09:30 AM.
Derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:40 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

You can go to a PPG or other quality automotive paint supplier with a peice of interior you want tomatch and they`ll mix you up a spray can of vinyl paint/dye.They sell the prep,too.I doubt it will cost you $30.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-16-2005, 02:56 AM   #9
tattoo
"Bondo, just say no!"

Re: LMC 72 door panel quality.

dont chince out on the vinyl dye or any dyes, cheap stuff will stain your skin and clothes when you sweat, especially on hot sticky days,

69 C-10 SWB Stepside (ground up resto in progress)
86 Yugo
69 Honda pc50 moped
see my work @ http://www.myspace.com/inkorperated
free site for pics
tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #10
truckdude239

here try this site they have alot of new and used parts for our trucks http://www.manestruckparts.com/
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:25 AM   #11
Derrickbwg

Tatoo, the vinyl"dye" I'm Talking about is not a dye like RIT. It is manufactured by DUPLIKOLOR and is applied just like rattle can paint. If DupliKOLOR makes it I'm fairly certain it is paint and won't have the properties that you mentioned. If you want to change the color of your carpet, then RIT dye is the way to go but you do risk the problems you mentioned.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

The LMC stuff isn`t molded in color,it`s painted/dyed.The big thing is that it is a poor imitation.

Tim

Old 10-17-2005, 12:38 AM   #13
muddpile

Thanks for the help guys! Looks like I'll be on the lookout for a set of door panels that are not warped or broken. My drivers side one is broken where the screw is, and both are warped a bit. Maybe new clips would straighten them on the door, I'm not too sure. Mine have that scroll pattern on them with the stainless trim around the edge. I've seen the odd set without the scrollwork at the top, but where could I score a set of originals like that? Did they come in a certain model of truck or something?

Derrickbwg, now that you mention that corvette vinyl dye, I remember when I restored my 84 vette two years ago I used a can of that on the console sides! It took a LOT of coats, but it turned it from black to red, and its still on there and it takes lot of abuse from the seat belts and such! I think it was made by a company called performance choice, which I got from Mid America. I know vettes came with grey interiors, so I may have to order some next time I talk to them. What about grey sunvisors? Anyone done anything about those?
Old 10-17-2005, 06:31 AM   #14
HeavyD

I have seen the ones without the scroll in base model trucks. I would think putting a wanted post on here would turn up a set pretty quick.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #15
muddpile

Yeah, I think I'll put up a wanted post and see what I can come up with. I don't mind the scroll pattern as it matches the stock bench very well, but I am running new buckets. The scroll is also very detailed and hard to keep dirt out of, not to mention its probably hard to get spray dye in. Thanks for the help everyone!

EDIT: I tried to post up a wanted on the parts board, but it said I didn't have permission to use that part of the forum. I know to sell stuff I need to be a site donator, but to buy stuff do I need to be to? Also, how do I go about being a donator etc.

Last edited by muddpile; 10-17-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:48 PM   #16
franko72
Franko72

LMC arm rest are poor quality also. I purchased some blue ones for my 72 doors, the paint is already flaking on them a year later. the color match was disapointing also. The only good thing that I see about their parts is that they are cheaper . I guess thats why some of us poor folks wish that we were getting a good deal.

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:16 PM   #17
FormerMember
Account Suspended

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=139629

Supporting the board...
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:53 PM   #18
cableguy0

the 72 style door panels are junk aftermarket only one company makes them and they suck. www.gmcpauls.com refuses to carry them because there is no quality and he wont sell junk. he stands behind what he sells and just cant stand behind those door panels
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote