The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2005, 12:31 PM   #1
GoobersBlueBurban
Account Suspended

Question Are Demon carbs really Demons?

2 nights ago a friend of mine with a chevy 3/4 ton show truck totalled her truck. she was running a demon carb on her 350. the throttle hung wide open when she let off, but the pedal depressed but the carb hung open. she also has a friend who had a Demon carb on his car and it did the same thing.

Does anybody know anything about Demon Carbs and if they have a tendency to hang wide open?
GoobersBlueBurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 12:47 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Re: Are Demon carbs really Demons?

I doubt it was the carb. More than likely it was the linkage (cable) causing it to hang. As we all know, when you install a carb on a vehicle that didn't come on it stock, you have to make sure everything works smoothly, even if it means buying knew brackets and cables.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
GoobersBlueBurban
Account Suspended

I really dont know if it was the linkage because she told me that she looked at the carb after the wreck, and the carb was hung wide open, but the pedal had depressed, unless the cable broke allowing the pedal to depress. If the cable had broke the carb wouldn't have hung wide open. She has been driving the truck for a while with no problems of the sort. She wanted me to get on and ask anybody if they knew of anybody having the same troubles with them.
GoobersBlueBurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
Tom
driving is in my blood

I ran a demon no probs and have never heard of this problem. I am about to buy another [summit has road demon Jr's at 725cfm for $200!!] and trust them completley. They are just a better holley you know...
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
FLAGG

I had the throttle stick open on my old truck a few times. The first time it happened it really threw me for a loop. It turned out the heavy dished rubber floor mat in my old truck, if sitting in the right position, could catch the gas pedal and hold it to the floor after I picked my foot up.
FLAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

I have not ever heard of this problem with the demons before. I have not ever used one but I know about 6-7 people running them and have really liked them.
-Late
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:37 AM   #7
86 GMG

i runone my self with original cables and such no problems great carb IMO
Old 10-17-2005, 12:13 PM   #8
tgh117
Crazy

If you are saying the pedal remains depressed, wouldnt that just mean that the carb is stuck wide open. I have seen it before on several different carbs, could have been the return spring broke or popped off? I would doubt it to be anything with the carb. If the pedal remains depressed now, I would say that the cable is old and stuck, or the return spring got lost and couldnt retun the carb back off. They wont just return on there own without that spring. I broke one or two on my truck already, and I have had the throttle stick, I am sure that is scared here, but if she would have just reached down and grabbed the pedal back up, I am sure it would have dropped off, as long as the cable isnt broken. The one time mine did it when the spring flew off, I was going down the street, tramped it down after a light, then went to shift and revving it went, luckily I reacted fast enough to stick my foot under the pedal and get it back down, lets just say I eased the throttle back home so I could put a new spring on.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #9
1987 Shortwide

I've set up three cars with Demons and never had an issue with them yet.

If you want extra security, make sure you have a decent cable that won't bind up, you should ALWAYS have dual return springs (a single return springs is asking for trouble), and a throttle block (stops the linkage before it even has the chance of pivoting too far and sticking)

A combination of those three things will be the safest setup you can run, and I doubt you'll have any issues...
My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #10
squint

I have no experience with Demon carbs.. But i have heard from a lot of people that they love them to death... I have never heard of anyone having any incidents like this.. Let us know what you find out.. if anything..
squint is offline   Reply With Quote