The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2005, 08:19 PM   #1
lorin408

buying help

I'm trying to buy a 1967-72 Suburban, particularly a 4x4. Searching around here where i live i found one but it slipped away when i waited to long pondering on it.
I found another one up there in oregon. But, being this is my first burban im not sure if it is a good deal, or what to offer.

first off he said the previous owner put a 72 body onto a 70 4x4 frame. so it has a construction title? im not sure what that is.

it has a 2bolt main 350 that has a stock cam but has things like hei conversion, roller rockers, ect.

he took the 4speed out and replaced it with a th400/203 and the rearend he took the 411 out and replaced it 308 posi rear and 307 disk front.

new carpet, gas tank and few other items..

It looks like it has rust on the quarters and such.
hes asking 3750, that and a plane ticket up there is around 100 bucks, then gas ect to either tow or drive it back to ca, im looking at around 4,300 maybe more. ( my goal budget would be more around 2500-3k )

Last edited by lorin408; 10-16-2005 at 08:21 PM.
lorin408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:36 PM   #2
a28doc
'87 V20 4x4

Re: buying help

is this a question or are you trying to buy a truck? if trying to buy one then you need to repost this on the appropriate truck for sale forum thanks Doc
a28doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:06 AM   #3
Frizzle Fry

I'd advise you to post pics of it if you want an opinion on good v. bad deal (if you can). Without that I'd say be patient and you will become educated as to what is a good deal by shopping around. Good luck
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:51 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Sounds like a request for advise.I`d say if it`s pretty solid body-wise,and all that swapped stuff works right as well as what`s original(heater,wipers...),it`s worth around $2,500.Your plane ticket/return trip expenses are incidental.They shouldn`t effect what the guy deserves for the vehicle.He could always sell it local.It`s a cheap adventure,worth every penny!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #5
lorin408

sorry for putting this in the wrong catigory , Moderators please move,

yeah my question was more along the lines of what the guy swapped into it and if the truck would have any worth being built from two trucks.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:28 PM   #6
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorin408
...I found another one up there in oregon. But, being this is my first burban im not sure if it is a good deal, or what to offer...
This is a "What's it Worth' request, folks. The thread starter is not in the wrong forum because this isn't a request to buy a burb. The thread title was just a little misleading since it's really about what the oregon burb is worth.
Quote:
first off he said the previous owner put a 72 body onto a 70 4x4 frame. so it has a construction title? im not sure what that is...
Check with California's DMV on what an Oregon *constuction* title would entail for retitling it in California. That info might stop this right there.
All things being equal, complete, all original burbs are usually best. Hodgepodged burbs can be chancy. It all depends on the quality of the work. Quality swap work can make a burb made out of two or more burbs fine for purchase and often cheaper since it's not *original* as delivered in '72 or before. Since the burb's not local to you, only a first hand look would tell you if the work is good, shoddy, or reasonably improvable.
Quote:
it has a 2bolt main 350 that has a stock cam but has things like hei conversion, roller rockers, ect...
Sounds OK. Many 67-72 owners put HEI on their SBCs. The engine could be from a later model. Usually, the engine is not that big of a concern since a better engine could be swapped in quickly. Needed body work and incomplete interiors are more costly and time consuming concern.
Quote:
he took the 4speed out and replaced it with a th400/203 and the rearend he took the 411 out and replaced it 308 posi rear and 307 disk front...
Way too high R&P ratio for a 4x4 unless you run some small, stock skinnies. The TH400 is fine and strong, but the 203 is an obnoxiously heavy, chain-driven transfer case. I would prefer the lighter, all-gear-driven NP205 mated to the TH400 which would be super strong. One could throw in a NP205, but, depending on how you did it (used NP205 vs. rebuilt NP205), the NP205 and any adapter required could cost from $200 to $1000. I also wonder about the tranny crossmember used and any torque bushing set up on the right frame rail.
Quote:
new carpet, gas tank and few other items...
Sounds good.
Quote:
It looks like it has rust on the quarters and such...
This drops the price more than anything. Body work is expensive and time consuming. DIYers can save mucho $$$, but not time.
Quote:
hes asking 3750, that and a plane ticket up there is around 100 bucks, then gas ect to either tow or drive it back to ca, im looking at around 4,300 maybe more. ( my goal budget would be more around 2500-3k )
From what you written, the price seems too high, IMO. As already posted, pics would help if the owner can provide them. Then again, if you can easily afford a round trip ticket...

Let me ask you a question: Have you not had any success sourcing a burb in California? I'd expect that more rust-free, or nearly so, burbs could be found. What have you found the market there to be like? Which general region of California?

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 10-17-2005 at 04:35 PM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:24 PM   #7
lorin408

Thanks i will check with the dmv to find out more on the title. As for the body repair i would be taking the task on myself, as long as there are patch panels available i am comfortable with it. I have only been in the market for these for a little over a month. Here in Ca most of what i have found primarily all have been 2 wheel drives, with exception to the one which the owner lived here in ca but his vehichle was located in washington. heres a few pictures the burban in question, i have attached the pictures of rust spots , oh and one other thing. I think the dash has been cut to fit an aftermarket radio =(

thanks again for all the help

Last edited by lorin408; 10-17-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:32 PM   #8
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

I think if you are local Cali then stay in that area for purchase. Cali bodies should be of better condition than most other areas. Body condition is usually much more costly to fix than mechanicals (unless your a body man).

I do not have first hand experience with shipping but I have not heard many good things and thats excluding of course the high cost.

Last, you should be very patient. Look at more than a few burbs before buying (even the 2wd's), or take an experienced person along who knows the trouble spots in these particular years. The more you see the better equiped you will be to judge the value. Of course stay close to this board.

Aaron
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck

Last edited by Long Roof; 10-17-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:14 AM   #9
4x4Poet

That burb does have a good, overall look to it. I can see why you are interested.

Judging just from the pics, the rust is all down low which is good as rust goes. Patch panels mostly address the lower panel areas, as well. The lower molding could hide any repainting of the white.

Couple cautions, rust wise. The rockers have rust along the door rubber ridge. This leads me to assume that the floor has rust, too. Maybe the new carpet was meant to cover that. If you go see the burb, I would definitely ask to see under the carpet. Also, the kick panels are likely rusted, as well. Don't pass up a look underneath to check for rust with the cab supports.

If you have the bodywork time and the price drops down to special-K's call or lower, then maybe you could get into this running burb pretty reasonably. Especially if you can drive it back for only the cost of gas (and an oil change, if necessary). I would expect that you are wanting this burb to use it as a driver since it is not really a good show truck candidate.

Got MIG?