The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
MrC1
Dork For Days

Question 1.5" Drop Shackles - Install tips?

I just got some 1.5" drop shackles from Classic Industires to level the ride on my '72 C20. Anybody got any tips on installing these things?

I believe the process is as simple as:

0) Disconnect negative battery cable.
1) Lift the truck by the frame, so the rear suspension is unloaded.
2) Unbolt the shackle, bolt in new one
3) Admire work

Is there anythign in there I should be aware of? I guess I'm mostly wondering if there's going to be any load on the leafs when I go to unbolt them. Also, for the same reason, is bolting them back up a simple process, or will I need to pry on them to line things back up?
MrC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Re: 1.5" Drop Shackles - Install tips?

When I put mine in I jacked up the truck to take the pressure off the rear leafs. You can tell when the pressure's off by how easily the shackle bolt comes out. If the bolts are rusted they can be tough to get out. Better to lift a little too high than not enough since the springs store a bunch of energy when loaded.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Re: 1.5" Drop Shackles - Install tips?

Here's what I do:

1.) jack truck up and put jackstands under frame on either side so you have your floor jack free.

2.) put the floor jack under the rear diff. Give it one pump after it touches the diff just to take a little weight off and prevent anything from falling on you while you're under there.

3.) unbolt stock shackle. I start at the leaf bolt first, remove that, then go to the upper bolt to the frame.

4.) Reverse steps to put new one in. You can move the axle up or down by using the floor jack under the diff so you can play with different heights to get it in.

The whole job should take you about 30 minutes. Maybe more if you've got rusted bolts that are a PITA to get out, but it's a simple job.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
MrC1
Dork For Days

Thumbs up Re: 1.5" Drop Shackles - Install tips?

Thanks guys - kinda what I was thinkin. This should be a fairly painless job.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:21 PM   #5
MrC1
Dork For Days

Angry Dangit!!

My truck is a 99% rust-free Oklahoma truck, so I didn't expect any problems. Well, turns out one side is completely seized up. The psgr side went in with only minor modification to the aftermarket piece (using a grinder). Teh driver side was a bit different.

I managed to get the upper nut off after about 20 minutes of wrenching. The bolt itself is completely seized up, however and my impact won't touch it. The lower bolt is that way on both the nut and the bolt.

I'm planning to get a local 4x4 shop to take a look at it and probably burn out the rear leaf bushing with a torch. Anybody got any other recommendations?

And no, a 3-foot pipe won't budge it either!
2008 Cadillac CTS
All-American garage, baby!