The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
garold99

Radiator Question

First off, I like the new board, looks really cool.

I took my radiator to the fix it shop. They said it wasnt in too good of shape and if he fixed it they couldnt warrantee it because of the shape it was in. And it would also cost around $65 to fix.

Couple questions, I can get a new 4 core off ebay for $153, doesnt have a heater hose connection though. My old one had a heater hose connection, but no A/C so I dont really need the heater hose connection then right? Also would it be hard to run that heater hose wherever else it goes if I dont go to the radiator with it. Im thinking it plugs into the water pump, right?

Another question, with this being a 4 core (mine was a 3 core) do I just change the top brackets? Or is there anything I need to do to the bottom. There seems like there was enough space at bottom for a thicker radiator to sit already, but I dont know how much thicker a 4 core is than a 3 core.

Also I have a tow package with an extra tranny cooler mounted to the front of my radiator. Will this pose a problem and do I need to order radiator for that or is the top tranny plug already in the radiator for this?

I am totally radiator illiterate.

Ok, should I go the new route or take my chances with the fixed one with no warranty? Or are salvage yard radiators any good?
garold99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:43 PM   #2
farside847

Re: Radiator Question

Do you have a stock motor? I thought all the heater hoses went to the intake/water pump....
Old 10-18-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
garold99

Yes, stock 350 no A/C. But I think the radiator that I took out was actually for a truck with A/C. Since the heater hose went to the radiator.

Right now the heater hose's go to the intake and the radiator. I have seen set ups where they went to the intake/water pump, and those were on trucks with no A/C.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:06 PM   #4
bobs86silv

I posted a thread about this same heater hose routing on a board a week or so ago, you might check it out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=176553

robert
Old 10-18-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
garold99

Thx, read the thread. I'm not having a problem with my truck getting warm at all, in fact when you turn the heater on it will get really toasty.

Right now my hoses's run heater core to manifold, and heater core to radiator. I think this is actually a setup for if you have A/C. My concern was if I get a radiator for a truck with no A/C then do I route the radiator hose to the water pump. It looks like that is the correct setup.

I was thinking about getting a radiator without the heater hose connection, its about 30 to 60 cheaper than one with a heater hose connection. Depending on where you buy.

Now for some reason though, at Autozone and O'riely's they are the same price either way. $175.00 for a 3 core and $135.00 for a 2 core. On ebay I can get a 4 core for $155.00 with no heater hose connection and $195.00 with it.

I live in Oklahoma so temps dont really get all that bad around here. And I dont do a ton of driving with this truck, mostly just around town.

So my problem is.

$65 for the fixed radiator with no warrenty
$135 for a new 2 core at Autozone/Oriely
$175 for a new 3 core at Autozone/Oriely
$155 for new 4 core with no heater hose connection on Ebay.
$195 for new 4 core with heater hose connection on Ebay.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
71Shortbed

I went thru the same thing. Radiator.com has a 4 core Moline radiator with the heater hose connection for about 150.00. Much better quality than the foriegn ones. It's a bit thicker so you either need to replace your brackets or "re-engineer" them (top and bottom). I cut mine with a hacksaw, opened them up a bit, and welded them back.

I ordered the 3 core without the hose connection off e-bay. When I called them I asked if they had the one with the hose connection and they had it in a 4-core for the same price. Had it the next day for 15$ delivery it fit perfect.
71Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
garold99

I could not find Radiator.com on Ebay. All I found was Radiator doctor on Ebay and those are the Ebay prices I quoted a couple threads up. I did go to Radiator.com but couldnt find any definate prices. Just got someone named Chuck saying to call and they would give me a price. Their radiators was anywhere from $99 to $299. I think they sold rebuilt ones as well as new ones. Going to call them today.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
truckdude239

i think he ment go to www.radiator.com they got all the radiators you need
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:27 AM   #9
farside847

I bought one from them a year ago, no problems. $150ish...
Old 10-19-2005, 12:58 PM   #10
garold99

Ok, just called radiator.com and apparently they are the same company as the radiator doctor on ebay. Got the 4 row with no heater hose connection for $149.56. Apparently they are a local company so I didnt have to pay shipping. If I had gone the heater hose connection route it would have been around $60 higher.

Next question. Now I have to reroute the heater hose to the water pump I guess. I'm guessing I can get that connection at Autozone or O'reilys.

But will it effect the way my truck warms up or the way the heater works changing the hose routing from the radiator to the water pump?

Last edited by garold99; 10-19-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:41 PM   #11
71Shortbed

Sounds like they have gone up a little but that's still a great price for the 4 core. You should be fine with the hose routing. Just get a nipple to install on the water pump. I'm not sure how the water flows but I expect that by bypassing the radiator you may get hot air faster but I guess it really doesn't flow until the thermostat opens.

Last edited by 71Shortbed; 10-19-2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:59 PM   #12
garold99

Ok, got the radiator, and it looks big compared to my 3 core that came out. A couple questions here. Is the radiator supposed to fit below that lip of the truck that the top of radiator buts up to? Or is it supposed to but up to that lip. The lip Im talking about is what you lean on when your are looking into your truck. Hope thats clear. Maybe someone has a pic. I didnt pay attention to that when I pulled the old one out.

Also as far as the heater hose. My 3/4 hose is on top and the 5/8 hose is on bottom of the heater core, is that right? Ive never had a problem with it before when the heater hose was going into the radiator but if its going into the water pump will that make a difference? Guess Im wondering when I put my heater coil in a year or so ago if I put it back in rightside up or upside down or if it even makes a difference as long as the 5/8 hose goes to the manifold and the 3/4 hose to the water pump. I never had a problem with it when it ran to the radiator, got plenty hot.

Also, and this goes back to if my radiator is too tall or not (the lip thing). It seems to fit in the bottom rubber brackets fine and also in the casing at the bottom ok. The rubber fittings at the bottom keep it about a half inch roughly off the bottom for drainage I guess. But the radiator is alot closer to the fan than the 3 core was. Also on the 3 core it seemed loose at the bottom like there was too much room.

Anyhow is the radiator supposed to be raised up off the bottom seat or sit flush on the bottom seat? And how far away should the fan be from the radiator?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #13
garold99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Shortbed
Sounds like they have gone up a little but that's still a great price for the 4 core.
I think it was listed for $138 on Ebay with $15 shipping for total of $153. I got it for $138 plus tax and didnt have to pay shipping since it was local. But did have to pay tax since it was local. So I actually came out $3.50 cheaper by not having to pay shipping.

I'm wondering if I could have talked them down a few more dollars if I offered to pick it up instead of them bringing it to me.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:10 PM   #14
llegos

I want to replace my 3 core with a 4, does anyone know of pre-fabbed brackets for this? i dont have a welder to "fix" the stock ones
Old 10-19-2005, 08:48 PM   #15
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I think the rubber mounts (and maybe the metal ones) are different.It seems like there are some differences.Try asking one of the vendors,they should have them and know the differences.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:46 PM   #16
71Shortbed

The brackets and pads are different. I bought some from Tim Christian but just never got around to installing them. They would actually move my radiator closer to the fan than the modified 3 core brackets.

Last edited by 71Shortbed; 10-19-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:55 PM   #17
71Shortbed

garold99 - I think I know what you are asking. My radiator fits just below but not under that piece you describe. It is held out from it by the upper brackets. I trimmed my fan shroud about 1/4 inch and it fit nicely between the tanks on the sides of the radiator. I'll post pics in a minute. I can't find that option now.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:01 PM   #18
71Shortbed

Apparently I'm not allowed to post attachments.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:02 PM   #19
llegos

so tim christian has the premade ones?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:06 PM   #20
71Shortbed

Yes he does. I bought a set from him at the Charlotte Auto Fair. He has the 3 core and 4 core styles, uppers and lowers.

Last edited by 71Shortbed; 10-19-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:13 PM   #21
llegos

sweet, i will be sure to buy a set of 4 core ones once i buy the radiatior.

thanks for the info, 71Sb