The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
Bernie

Clutch question

I have a K20 with a 350 and a 4 speed. The clutch works with a length of threaded rod that goes through a small casting that goes against the arm that works the throwout bearing. I keep on breaking the casting. I've bought two from LMC truck and just broke the second tonight. They broke where the rod goes through the casting. What do you guys use ? Maybe I was just unlucky with the LMC quality. I seem to remember that these were sold for 2wd trucks but I thought that the only difference was in the length of rod.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:09 AM   #2
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Re: Clutch question

try switching to a later model stamped fork & pushrod. I'm talking about the type where the rod has a blunt end that pushes on the fork itself. you may have to slide the trans back to install it but that would be a good time to lube the snout of the trans. (where the T O brg. slides)
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
Bernie

That's a good idea. On the other hand though, I've just changed the clutch and don't want to move the transmission until I forget how heavy it was. I think that I'll make up another fitting myself out of steel bar and see how that does. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #4
papawswrench

Everything lines up properly ? Look for some reason it would get in a bind when moving .
papawswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:35 AM   #5
Bernie

I'll look at the way it lines up tonight. I hadn't thought of that as a possible problem. Now you mention it, the clutch fork has a couple of places where this thing could go. Maybe I just chose the wrong one (?) Thanks
Old 10-19-2005, 11:47 AM   #6
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie
I'll look at the way it lines up tonight. I hadn't thought of that as a possible problem. Now you mention it, the clutch fork has a couple of places where this thing could go. Maybe I just chose the wrong one (?) Thanks

I think the nut you are talking about (looks like a wedge?) is still being sold through GM. LMC may be peddling GM parts or remaking their own, so you might try your local GM dealer for a factory part as well. I think the nut should fit in the outer most slot closest to the frame.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
Bernie

It was the outer hole that I was using. I'll try the GM dealer. LMC's part was aftermarket, at least it wasn't in a GM box. My success in getting GM parts from the dealer is pretty limited however. thanks
Old 10-19-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

they still use the same wedge on meduim duty trucks.(topkick/kodiac)

forget I mentioned the swapping to later style. I just looked in my LMC book & see that will not work with your bellhousing.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
Old 10-19-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie
It was the outer hole that I was using. I'll try the GM dealer. LMC's part was aftermarket, at least it wasn't in a GM box. My success in getting GM parts from the dealer is pretty limited however. thanks

I'll get the GM part number (3765322 thank Wes if you get the chance for looking this number up), and your dealer may not have it, but they can locate and get one in. They are like $3.50 from the dealer, so I wouldn't chance a repop, especially if they keep breaking. Is LMC standing behind the part, ie refunding or replacing? Anyways I'll get the GM part number for you.

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 10-19-2005 at 02:35 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 02:54 PM   #10
Bernie

Wonderful ! That was just what I needed. I have found a GM dealer that has them in stock AND their parts dept is open until midnight. Thanks a lot and to Wes.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:43 AM   #11
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

that's cool they have them. when i need a strange little part from the dealer I usually get 2 or 3. just in case. (like the little rounded plastic cone on the frame end of shift linkage) looking them up is a PITA and its easier to grab it out of the toolbox. JMO
Old 10-20-2005, 07:10 AM   #12
Blazerb61

Maybe try just a hydralic throw out bearing and loose the fork
Blazerb61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:29 AM   #13
Huck

I would put just a bit of heavy grease where this wedge rubs up against the clutch fork. Also make sure you have the spring tensioner in the correct place to take the play out of the clutch linkage to eliminate unnecessary binds. I personally think the LMC part must be junk as I've never heard of an original one breaking under normal use. The alignment of the Zbar is important here so make sure everything looks right and moves smooth with lube inside the Zbar as well. Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:34 AM   #14
Bernie

I had to buy a pack of 10. They cost $2.85 each. I think that I must have something wrong with the alignment and the spring placement. I'll check with the assembly manual. I had thought of a hydraulic set up, but unless I change the arm I would still need the wedge thing. Grease is a good idea too. Again, many thanks to all.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #15
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

sell me a couple if possible. PM me if interested