The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
Martin64

Any tips on trouble shooting the starter?

The other day I drove my truck to work because it was raining. On the last stop before coming home I shut the truck off and when I went to leave, I turned the key and nothing. I ended up jumping it at the starter. But before I jumped the starter I jumped the solenoid. When the starter didn't engage I jumped across the other pole and it started right up.

So, did I confirm that the starter and solenoid are fine and I should be looking at the neutral safety switch and ignition switch, or did I prove nothing and I'm still at "square 1"?

1964(-ish) C10
Martin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
truckdude239

Re: Any tips on trouble shooting the starter?

umm sounds like an solenoid to me it your crossed the poles and it started. if it is i'd go head an replace it and the starter but thats just me
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:04 PM   #3
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Had the same problem with my truck, I changed the selenoid, it didn't help and it still won't start after the starter gets warmed up, but after the engine/starter cools down it starts the first time I turn the key, might want to get a new starter and get it over instead of fooling replacing selenoids and wind up changing the whole starter

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:17 PM   #4
cdowns

i'd disconnect the battery then take each wire off of the battery and starter and shine them up with sandpaper/wirebrush put a light coat of dielectric grease on each connection and put them back together don't spkip doing the battery to frame to engine ground either
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:23 PM   #5
Martin64

Well, when I turn the key I get nothing. No turn over, no clicking, no nada. I did clean the battery terminals so that's good and I checked the ends to make sure they have good connections. So that's why I'm leaning toward the ignition switch or the neutral safety switch.

How do I by-pass the neutral safety switch?

1964(-ish) C10
Old 10-21-2005, 12:14 AM   #6
Premium72

take your starter to advanced or any other parts store. have em test it. theyll tell you if its good or bad..if good. fix your ingnition..although i wouldnt think it was that..ive changed many a starter in my short life and that always seem to fix the prob. start with the easy stuff..
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:01 PM   #7
53burb

There are 2 sets of wires on the NSS. IIRC, the purple wires (on the right) need to be unplugged and "jumpered" together. The other set (green I think) is for the reverse lights. I will check it out tonight if you like if no one else chimes in...
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:10 PM   #8
Martin64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53burb
There are 2 sets of wires on the NSS. IIRC, the purple wires (on the right) need to be unplugged and "jumpered" together. The other set (green I think) is for the reverse lights. I will check it out tonight if you like if no one else chimes in...

Thanks, that's what I was looking for...., I'll give that a try sometime this weekend because I think it's going to be easier to do than pulling the starter.

1964(-ish) C10
Old 10-22-2005, 12:59 PM   #9
53burb

I double checked my Burb last night. I rememembered correctly, purple wires are the ones needed to bypass the NSS and the green is for the backup lights...
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:08 PM   #10
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Just FYI , Check the Battery ground at the block , could be loose or the grd cable worn .
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I had a F(ouled up),O(ld)R(undown)D(odge) That would fail to start.It wouldn't start at the solenoid and would set for a while then it would start.I could get it to start if I put the jumper cable to the starter post.I messed with it for a couple months(I was a broke teen at the time)before I had enough money to replace the starter.I went to pull it and the cable slid right out of the insulation.I replaced the cable and it worked fine after that.The 20 year old battery cable had corroded in two inside the insulation.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #12
GlennBrittain

I developed the dead silence when tuning the key to start with a hot motor. Since I was ordering headlight relays, I added a remote starter solenoid. This eleminates the purple wire being overheated by the headers, only the heavy battery positive cable goes to the starter. This fixed my problem.
GlennBrittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:36 AM   #13
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

I'd do as others have suggested and take the starter off and take it to Advance Auto or Auto Zone if you have one close by and have it tested for free.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:54 PM   #14
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

Make sure you clean all ground wires. There are many. Some at the firewall, some at the rad support, some from frame to body. Corroded ground wires have stopped me a few time before.

Aaron
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #15
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

IF you are running headers....and this isn't an answer to the problem that was originally posted.....AND you have problems starting a hot engine, you MAY find that installing a heat shield on the starter will benefit you. But, bear in mind that a lean mixture will increase the heat within the combustion chamber and THAT MAY be part of the problem. I changed my carburetor, from a 600CFM Edelbrock (AFB-type), to a 750CFM Edelbrock Q-Jet, and had to install the heat shield, which solved MY hot start problem.

But, we should all know that the age of our vehicles, and our desires to keep it as original as possible (for some) can cause some problems that can aggravate the fire out of us. Replacement wiring harnesses are not a bad investment, especially under the hood.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:03 PM   #16
Martin64

After not being able to get to it for about a month, it turned out to be the neutral safety switch.

1964(-ish) C10

Last edited by Martin64; 11-19-2005 at 06:03 PM.