The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
qksilver

making a P/S box dimple....

I was going thru the suspension posts last night, about 154 of them trying to find something. I found what i was looking for my 58 panel. I came across a post saying that "Wes" had a quide on his web sight to dimple a frame so a P/S box would fit. I , for 2 reason, one is money the other is I want to make it look factory.
I tried Wes's , from Washington< web site but it wasn't on it. Does anybody have a link etx to show how to do this?
Thanks,
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:32 AM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: making a P/S box dimple....

I did this on mine and it requires a dimple from a 73 -87 frame. I don't know how Wes did his but I just got the angle of the box on the 75 frame I had and cut it out and welded it into the 58 frame at the same angle. the bottom bolt will need to have a sleeve welded across the frame. you will want to box that area. I also drilled thru the boxed area and slid steel tubes in the bolt holes and welded the ends so it had a solid bolting area and would not collapse the frame when tightened.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:36 AM   #3
qksilver

Thanks
Old 10-24-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
Chevy4Life

Here is a link to Wes's panel with the dimpled frame. http://www.classicheartbeat.com/panel_5.htm
I did this to my 67'. All it took was a little heat and a ball peen hammer. Test fitting till the box sat flush to the frame. Only took a couple minutes to do. I'll see if I have a good picture of mine to post.
Chevy4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The frame on a 58 is different. It doesn't slope down like the one in the link. You may be able to ball peen it in but its just as easy to cut out a dimple and weld it into the 58 frame. That way you have the holes predrilled.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
Chevy4Life

Here is the best shot I have of mine. It really doesn't take much. I don't think I went as far as Wes did, just enough that the box was flush with a little clearance between it and the frame.
Attached Images

Chevy4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:25 PM   #7
qksilver

I apreciate it, I reread my post and saw I wasn't clear. I have 2 different trucks I was working on, the 58 and a 67. It was for the 67 I wanted to dimple the frame, so this works out.
For the 58 I saw a kit to mount a toyota 4X4 p/s box in the stock location. I have the box and am fabing up the mount for it now.
I can figure out almost anything but have learned to short cut the mistakes by asking questions.
Thanks again, this really helps
Steve