The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
Guardrail
And Don't Call Me Shirley

Let's Talk Wipers......

First rainy day since June here in Northern Cal, and the horse truck has squeeky wipers that are extra slow and the arms "tremble" when thet're in motion. The switch feels like a 2 speed switch, but they only go sloooow. No high speed. Anyone gone thru this? What about the trembling thing?
1972 K10 Longbed (restoration begins June 2020)
Guardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:13 PM   #2
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Re: Let's Talk Wipers......

Hello from Rio Linda!

I had the squeeky wiper thing going on. I removed the cowl and un-clipped the linkage from the motor and white lithed the whole shebang. No noise now. Might think about a new wiper motor gasket to prevent leaks.
Never had em "tremble" before. Far as one speed... I remember it is a ground seeking circuit. Power allways to the motor and grounded through the wiper switch. Part I am guessing on is high speed is second winding given ground? On second thought, PM Putter, he has the wiper electrics down. Oh if your washer pump is inop, buy an electric one. The mechanical is a rotten design and you are NOT going to fix it without a new pump.

If I could mooch from your thread a little? My wiper problem is the passenger one will not make a clean wipe. They are both new repop arms and blades. Does not matter wich side is on wich. Drivers wipes clean, passenger dirty.
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:51 PM   #3
Guardrail
And Don't Call Me Shirley

Hello Chickenwing,
Ahoy from Cameron Park! Got a little rain today heh. So even if you swap arms left to right, it still works crummy on the passenger side only

Man I don't know, dont those little shafts go thru some sort of bushing or something? Maybe what ever it rotates in is wore out. Does the shaft wobble?

Hey do you know my truck? I bought it from bilgewiper in Citrius Heights. I'm enjoying using it for daily transportation. I sware I'd sell my regular car if my wife would let me (that way I could get this thing painted).
1972 K10 Longbed (restoration begins June 2020)
Guardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:19 PM   #4
al's71gmc
4 eyed fever

Guardrail-I don't know a lot about these wiper motors, but I've seen several for sale on the parts board for around $20. Hi speed out and trembling on low, sounds like it's at the end of it's life. So IMO, replace it rather than try to fix it. Keep the old for spare parts. BTW, I saw your truck when it was for sale and I was debating buying it and transplanting my son's 4wd running gear under it.But would have been more work than I have time for. Nice looking truck and good price, just not what I needed right now.
Chickenwing- it sounds like the bushing(?) where the wiper arm attaches might be tweaked. ??
Al
1972 GMC Sierra Grande 1/2 t 4x4-#1 son's truck. Recently completed resto.

4 YO daughter," Daddy, I like your truck better than Mom's." (2000 F350-ranch truck) Smart kid!!
al's71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:58 PM   #5
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Nope, afraid I never met Bildgewiper. If I have saw your truck before I have a good chance of remembering it. Kinda weird that way, when I go to the refuge I never remember the hunters but most allways remember their dog. I may have an extra wiper motor about. Contrary to what my wife says, I do $hitcan stuff that lays about too long. I'll check this weekend. If I do have it you are welcome to it.

Al, thanks for the tip. I'll check out that "post" next time I have the cowl off. I hate to remove it cause I scratch something every time I do.
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Putter
More Cowbell....

Here is what I would try. This should help you determine if you have a faulty switch or a motor issue.

Using the photo below as a guide, unplug the harness from the switch. Get yourself three lengths of wire (to use as ground wires). If you want to you can crimp on a flat 'blade' connector to the end of each.
Plug these wires into the three slots of the wiper-switch harness.

Turn the key on, so you will have power to the wiper motor.

You can touch the wires you added to ground starting with the one in the black wire position of the harness. Grounding this one should give you "HIGH" speed wiping.
Then, while leaving this one grounded, touch the wire in the light blue position to ground. This should slow the wipes to "SLOW" speed.
If all is going well, you can add the third wire to ground for a second. The motor should start clicking, indicating that the washer feature is avtive.
I hope this helps.

Here is the photo:
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

I have the same problem as Guardrail (low speed works, no high speed). I grounded the plug as Putter mentions above, and can only get low speed to work. Does this mean the motor is bad or what is wrong?
'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
farside847

Little trick to get a better "swipe" - use a little sandpaper on both sides of the rubber that comes in contact with the glass. The rubber hardens with time and ruffing it up a bit makes a big difference.