The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
jlmerie

What frame can I use?

I have found a very nice Blazer project that I am trying to buy. It is a small block manual transmission truck, but does not have a motor or transmision included. It is essentially a rolling frame with the body and hardtop. The good part is that it is originally a black truck and the body is very straight, and NO rust anywhere. The bad part is that it is a 1970 model, which means no disk brakes. If I get the truck, I will convert it to an automatic transmission. Would it be better to keep the original frame and convert it to later disk brake set up, or should I just get a later model Blazer frame (1973-??) to mount the body. What year frames will allow me to bolt the body on with no major modifications?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
70rs/ss

Re: What frame can I use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmerie
I have found a very nice Blazer project that I am trying to buy. It is a small block manual transmission truck, but does not have a motor or transmision included. It is essentially a rolling frame with the body and hardtop. The good part is that it is originally a black truck and the body is very straight, and NO rust anywhere. The bad part is that it is a 1970 model, which means no disk brakes. If I get the truck, I will convert it to an automatic transmission. Would it be better to keep the original frame and convert it to later disk brake set up, or should I just get a later model Blazer frame (1973-??) to mount the body. What year frames will allow me to bolt the body on with no major modifications?

Just bolt the disc brake axle to your frame. They are the same from 69-80's so find one and replace your drum front (just make sure the gear ratios are the same. As for changing from standard to auto there is an adapter plate out there if you have the transfer case or you can just find a running gear from a 67-80's 4X4 and put it in you frame, as again they are the same. Good luck.

mike
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
Scrubby
Check out GMTrucks.org

4x4? If so, 70rs/ss is correct. Any of the dana 44 fronts (the 10 bolts too) should bolt right up. Make sure you get an axle with the same gear ratio as the back. I have the front out of a '76 in my '72.

If it is 2wd, I would do a disk brake conversion on it, or find a 71 or 72 parts truck and swap things over.
Scrubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
jlmerie

Thanks guys. Yes it is a 4 wheel drive. And yes, I know about getting the same gear ratio in both axles. I had a 69 short wide 4x4 that had different axles front and back. I learned that lesson the hard way. I love the idea of updating various parts of the truck but keeping the classic styling of the first generation front end.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

You can only use a 69-72 frame. 73 and up has a 2 1/2 inch longer wheelbase...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote