The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
ssjones

Question Rebuilding Front End - any gotchas

I am getting ready to pull the truck back to the shop and rebuild the front end with new ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, and whatever else i find on the way. I have a 72 3/4 ton w/sbc 350. I did the one on my 79 camaro and it was a weekend project. I will also be replacing the heater core. My 72 does have a/c. That was a pain to change in the camaro. Any gotcha's i need to look for with either project? I searched FAq's and did not see what I was looking for .

Thanks.
2005 Mini Cooper
ssjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
Joe67
67 is sold

Re: Rebuilding Front End - any gotchas

The front end should be fine. Even my rusty '67 chassis came apart with relative ease a year ago

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

It really sucks, but if I remember right you have to remove the passenger side hood hinge to get to the heater core, I'm assuming an A/C one isn't much different than a not A/C one, which means you basically need to remove the hood. Be careful with them coil springs!!!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
70rs/ss

The front end should be cake and you can either remove the hood or the fenderwell (inner fender) which will allow you access to the bolts all the way around the heater box. I'd do the fender well as it is easy to reassemble and it will not effect your panel alignment as refitting the hood could be. my .02cents
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
Rdub

Smile Re: Rebuilding Front End - any gotchas

I might be wrong but, I think repalcing the heater core on an AC truck is a different process than non-AC..... I asked this same question a few weeks ago with few responses and vastly different opinions (couple people said they thought it was same process as a non-AC truck and another person who had recently done it described replacing it from inside the cab)... so, bought a gmc shop manual..... haven't had time to look at it but will tonight and get back to you.... there is a great thread on heater core replacement for a non AC truck in the faq section but, at this point I'm not sure how much of it would apply to an AC truck. Also tried the search function and it's apparent it only searches on threads placed since the format change a few weeks back. If indeed it's a different process, I think a good candidate for a faq write up with photos, which I plan to do, unless you beat me to it.
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub
I might be wrong but, I think repalcing the heater core on an AC truck is a different process than non-AC..... I asked this same question a few weeks ago with few responses and vastly different opinions (couple people said they thought it was same process as a non-AC truck and another person who had recently done it described replacing it from inside the cab)... so, bought a gmc shop manual..... haven't had time to look at it but will tonight and get back to you.... there is a great thread on heater core replacement for a non AC truck in the faq section but, at this point I'm not sure how much of it would apply to an AC truck. Also tried the search function and it's apparent it only searches on threads placed since the format change a few weeks back. If indeed it's a different process, I think a good candidate for a faq write up with photos, which I plan to do, unless you beat me to it.

I think you are correct as the condensor or evaporater (whatever that thing is called) is housed in the firewall box in the location of the heater core on a non AC truck. My vote now is that the heater core will be replaced by removing the under dash unit from the inside of the cab on the passenger's side. Way longer and a lot of cussing will be required, just avoid using the hammer! Good luck.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:51 PM   #7
Rdub

Talking Re: Rebuilding Front End - any gotchas

It dawned on me the GMC truck Service Manual I bought was still in my car so went out at lunch and got it. As I remembered from initially "speed reading" the heater core replacement section, the heater core on an AC truck is removed from the inside. Here's why.... on a non-AC truck, under the hood, engine side, the big black box attached to the firewall on the drivers side is the blower/heater core case. The heater core is actually inside this case on the engine side of the firewall. On an AC truck the similar looking case on the engine side of the firewall is blower/evaporator case and inside this case is the evaporator core for the AC. No need to remove this since the heater core is not located here. The heater core is in the heater case located behind the glove box in the cab (passenger) side of the firewall.

Basically:

From the engine compartment, disconnect battery ground strap, drain down the radiator, disconnect the heater hoses at the firewall, remove the sheetmetal nuts from the heater case studs which project through the firewall.

Inside the cab, you remove the glove box liner, unplug the relay connector, remove the right ball outlet hose, remove the screw connecting the dash outlets distributor to the heater case and move distributor away from case, remove heater case to firewall retaining screws, pull heater case away from firewall, disconnect the resistor connector and resistor harness grommet and remove the harness from the case. Remove the heater case which contains the heater core and remove the screws retaining the core mounting straps..... reverse process for install. There you go, this is a summary (almost word for word) of the process from the service manual for a 71 gmc 1500 - 3500 with AC and I believe a chevy would be the same. Hope it helps, it clears up a question I've been having for a several months now..... good luck on your project!
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Wow, that's some great info. So much for assumptions, huh? I had no idea the A/C trucks were completely different.

I forgot to mention that I too did a complete rebuild on my front end, added disks brakes. It took me a good weenend and a couple nights after work, BUT i cleaned/primed/and painted all of my parts.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:38 PM   #9
shifty
Questionable

I have two tips for you:

One, take the front clip off. Trust me. It makes the job 100x easier and if you leave the hood bolted down adn shut, all you gotta do is remove the cowl vent piece and about 10 bolts. Be sure to tape the edges of your fender with blue tape before putting it back on.

Two, go buy two things minimum: A ball joint for ($10 at your local auto chain) and a Pitman Arm puller ($12 at local auto chain). This pitman arm puller will be roughly this shape, just get any cheapy you can:

http://store.yahoo.com/brandsplace/0246-otc6496.html

I just did a rebuilt on my steering, but didn't touch my spindles or ball joints. If you need pictures for reference, you can find em here:

http://satellitehead.com/gallery/thu...s.php?album=10

Be sure to lube the inside of your tie rod sleeves with lithium grease (spray can) or something before screwing in the tie rod ends. Makes them go in 100x easier. If you don't have one already, a Chilton or Haynes manual for our trucks can be of great value.

Don't be afraid to use a BFH on stuff. And from what I hear, be careful with those ball joints because a compressed spring is dangerous

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:21 PM   #10
ssjones

Thanks a lot for all the tips. Thanks Rdub for looking this up and passing on the info. Pulling the truck back after I send this reply.
2005 Mini Cooper
Old 10-28-2005, 04:58 PM   #11
Joe67
67 is sold

Shifty, you are recommending removing the front clip to rebuild the front suspension??

Seems like alot of overkill to me

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:57 PM   #12
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

When you remove the old ball joints don't comletely remove the nuts until you have them seperated. I'll always wear heavy gloves when working on front end componants. (sometimes they fight back) Get some 90 degree zerk (sp?) fittings for your inner tie rod ends, and some 45's for upper, and lower rear control arm bushings. The shock is in the way at the top, and long tube headers, or your exhaust can be a problem at the bottom. You'll be happy you did when it comes time to lube it.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:09 PM   #13
garold99

I did my heater core last year. Pulled the glove box and went from inside to get it. Real pain. After looking at it closer I pulled the heater coil box under the hood and that was alot easier. Mine I didnt have to remove the hood or the hood hinge. I just unbolted the box. Maybe mine had been modified by previous owner or something. Mines not an A/C cab though, also when I went from under the dash I couldnt get the heater coil out of the hole, thats why I had to go from under the hood instead.
garold99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:40 PM   #14
ssjones

So far I have only removed the fender well and seem to have all the access I need to get to the bushings etc... for the front end.
2005 Mini Cooper
Old 10-28-2005, 11:17 PM   #15
ssjones

Well I am now looking for a control arm for the front. This one is shot!!! Any recomendations? Where to buy?? How much sould I spend?
2005 Mini Cooper