The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
53burb

Oil Pressure Gauge & Speedometer

I removed my gauge cluster yesterday. Prior to removing it, my gauge worked fine. When I reinstalled it, it didn't work. I have loosened the fitting, allowed oil to flow out, and retightened the fitting. Still doesn't work. The needle doesn't move at all. Any ideas?? Oil level is fine.
My speedometer also isn't working correctly. Is there a certain way that the inner cable is supposed to go into the speedometer??

Last edited by 53burb; 10-30-2005 at 05:53 PM. Reason: add to it
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:56 AM   #2
53burb

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge

ttt
Old 10-31-2005, 02:02 AM   #3
Deuce

Make sure the oil feed line to the gauge is not kinked.You can remove it from the back of the gauge and put it in a clear plastic bottle and run the engine and see if oil is making its way through.
The speedo cable should click into place if its installed correctly.
Good luck.

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:27 AM   #4
53burb

Oil came out of line before I hooked it up. Is it possible that it broke while being shaken before I installed it. Maybe it is stuck. I can pull the cluster again if I need to.
As for the speedo, it never clicked, I removed & reinstalled it numerous times to try and solve this, but it never clicked...
Old 10-31-2005, 07:53 AM   #5
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

I can't remember if the speedo cable clicks on or screws on, but either way it sounds like you just need to make sure it's tight. On the pressure gauge also if you got oil to come out the line again it sounds like something must not be attatched right. I find it hard to believe the gauge just stopped working.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:23 AM   #6
byrd
Union Electrician

Is the speedo jumping around a lot? if so the speedo cable may be worn out, or the speedo. As for the oil pressure gauge I'm with everybody else, I've had butt load of these gauges and every single one has worked, that wasn't rusted. In your case I'm sure it's the line feeding the gauge, you probably kinked it removing the cluster. Check it thoroughly to see if that isn't the case. my .02 Randy
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:39 PM   #7
53burb

I will check the line to ensure it is not kinked. How is the flow supposed to be with line disconnected & the engine running?? The speedo screws in, and I tightened it finger tight, it was only finger tight when I removed it.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:49 PM   #8
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53burb
I will check the line to ensure it is not kinked. How is the flow supposed to be with line disconnected & the engine running?? The speedo screws in, and I tightened it finger tight, it was only finger tight when I removed it.

On the speedo pull the inner line out and feed it into the guage, then slide the outer lining down the the guage and tighten. The inner portion has a square end on it and if it is not engaing the gauge the needle with not move. As for the guage, it sounds like you may have over tightened the line and pinched it off at the guage, or maybe some crud clogged the gauge's inner workings. check the line and make sure it is not pinched off and try to check the inside of the guage opening for an obstruction. Good luck.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:28 PM   #9
daveo68

I had my imstrument panel out of my truck for couple weeks.When I installed panel,oil gauge would not move.Took the gauge out of the panel,the needle hand was stuck.I used Three-In- One oil and carefully moved needle back and forth while using oil.Reinstalled gauge and panel.Oil gauge works fine now.

Dave

davideowens@lexcominc.net

God Bless America
daveo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:01 AM   #10
53burb

Thanks for the tips everybody. I will check this out on Wednesday and follow up. Anybody else have any ideas???
Old 11-02-2005, 07:12 PM   #11
53burb

I got my oil gauge to work correctly. The "U" shaped bar/clip was bent, causing the needle to bind. Anyways that is fixed. I still could not get the speedo to work. I pulled the inner cable completely out and it is not broken. I then disconnected from the tranny and hooked my drill to it. It pegged the needle. I reinstalled the cable. It jumps to between 50-60 mph when I am only going about 20mph, and it jumps around alot.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:29 AM   #12
53burb

ttt
Old 11-03-2005, 12:51 PM   #13
70rs/ss

Quote:
I got my oil gauge to work correctly. The "U" shaped bar/clip was bent, causing the needle to bind. Anyways that is fixed. I still could not get the speedo to work. I pulled the inner cable completely out and it is not broken. I then disconnected from the tranny and hooked my drill to it. It pegged the needle. I reinstalled the cable. It jumps to between 50-60 mph when I am only going about 20mph, and it jumps around alot.

Is it working, but jumping? If so then shoot WD40 in it and it will be smooth as glass. Sometimes when you hook up the cable you do not engage the cable into the gauge. The inner cable has a square end on it and it must fit into the back of the guage. lube it up and pull the inner cable out enough that you can feed it into the back of the speedo then push the out sheath onto the guage and turn the nut till tight then it should work perfect. By the way I am in Northern AZ maybe we could meet up sometime I am always interested in checking other's toys.

Mike

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 11-03-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:20 PM   #14
53burb

It holds steady when I am going about 50mph (I know how fast I am going by the tach), the speedo shows 80. When I go about 15-20mph, the speedo shows about 50. When I go about 15mph or less, it fluctuates alot. I would like to meet up with you some time. Right now, I still have the Eaton rear with 4.57 gears. I have a 3.08 rear, but I haven't swapped them yet, so needless to say, I don't drive on the freeway much....
Old 11-03-2005, 05:04 PM   #15
70rs/ss

Quote:
It holds steady when I am going about 50mph (I know how fast I am going by the tach), the speedo shows 80. When I go about 15-20mph, the speedo shows about 50. When I go about 15mph or less, it fluctuates alot. I would like to meet up with you some time. Right now, I still have the Eaton rear with 4.57 gears. I have a 3.08 rear, but I haven't swapped them yet, so needless to say, I don't drive on the freeway much....

The 4:56's are what is throwing the speedo off. If you are swapping in a 3:08 then your speedo will be more acurate. It is jumping because it needs lubed, but also because it is spinning way fast from the gear ratio. You can swap out the tranny gear for the speedo to make it correct or just wait. Yeah, I am driving my Blazer, but it goes to its new home 11/8/05 and then I am left with my 67 swb with a nasty BBC that gets about 5 gallons to the mile so I drive it for fun. We'll have to keep in touch for a meeting later on.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:39 PM   #16
byrd
Union Electrician

I would use lithium grease areasolformula for the oil pressure gauge and the speedo. It is easy to get into the speedo, and I'm thinking the inner parts of the speedo needed to be lubed as well. If the gears inside are dry and the counter wieght(or whatever it is called) willspin irradically and make the speedo jump around. I use that type of grease on all the mechanical parts of the speedo,oil, vacuum and air pressure gauges I restore to keep them lubed up good and it will last another 30 years. The best thing about the lithium grease is that it removes and repells water to prevent any further corrosion on the internals of the speedo. I also agree with 70rs/ss that the gears are throwing you off to.
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:22 PM   #17
53burb

I think you guys misunderstood me. The speedo was working correctly before I removed the gauge cluster. It isn't working correctly now that I have put it back together. I haven't done anything with the rearend swap yet. Why would it be this inaccurate?? I will definately lube it tho...
Old 02-21-2006, 08:35 PM   #18
53burb

Here's a late update. I lubed the speedo a couple of months ago. The speedo was showing about 10mph over the actual speed. When I was stopped, the speedo would show slightly under 10mph. Easy fix I thought. I unscrewed the cable on the gauge end, made sure the speedo was at zero, and reconnected it. I had the same result. I did the same thing a few times. Same result. I kinda gave up on it for awhile since I plan on changing the rearend anyways. A couple of weeks ago, it started being accurate again. The cable may have slipped correctly into the connection. Who knows.