The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2002, 07:50 PM   #1
GMC_Aaron

Fuel Gauge

I recently bought a 1972 GMC Super custom truck and the fuel gauge has a problem. It seems to work slightly, but when I fill it up, it only reads 1/3 tank. I pulled the sending unit and saw that it needed to be replaced. I thought that maybe that would do the trick, it didn't. I checked the electrical and everything checked out ok. I did notice that when I pulled the wire connected to the sending unit, the needle went past full. I'm confused now. is there a way to calibrate these gauges? Or is there more to it? Can the needle be taken off and adjusted? I haven't attempted to take the gauge out yet, but I have checked everything else to this point and I have only the gauge left. It seems like it has its' range of motion, but I was thinking that maybe the needle was messed with at some point in time before I got the truck. I don't want to tear the dash apart until I get some more insight. Thanks.
GMC_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 08:25 PM   #2
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Arron;
When you pull the wire off the sending unit it should put the gauge past full . That is nornal.
Sounds like the problem is ;

The Sending unit . Should read 90 to 0 ohm's as you raise and lower the float arm.
The float make sure it doesn't have a pin hole and has some gas in it .( Shake it )
The float is getting stuck as it rises in the tank to indicate a full tank.

Check these 3 things and they will fix 99 % of what you describe

Good luck Bill
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 08:28 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

First of all...welcome to the board.
Your sending unit is probably trashed.
When you disconnect the power, and it goes all the way to full, that means that everything north of the wire connection is good. Your getting power to the guage and the guage knows how to read the resistance reading from the brown wire. To verify this, remove that brown wire from the tank, and ground it out on the body 9good clean paint free ground). Your fuel guage should bottom out at or past empty.
Did that make any sence? Hope i didn't lose anyone there.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 08:34 PM   #4
GMC_Aaron

but I just installed a new sending unit. When you buy new, you expect that to work perfectly. Is it hit and miss with the gauge? Either it works or it doesn't? I bought the sending unit from Brother's and installed it right away. I also bought a new gauge just for kicks. Everything seems to check out up to the gauge.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:15 PM   #5
GMC_Aaron

Ok, I'm starting to take different angles to this. I just bought a new sending unit, which should be alright, but I'm still confused, even after the insight you guys have given me. The gas tank might even be different if the float is catching on something. Where might the part number be located on the tank, so that I can verify that it is the stock tank? Like I said earlier, I replaced the sending unit and checked all of the electrical between the sending unit and the gauge. I think there is something wrong with the gauge, but it seems to move through its' full range of motion when I mess with the wire taking it off and on.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2002, 11:35 PM   #6
1968 C-10Cowboy

Very nice looking truck there Aaron. Im having the same problem. I took some crome backed 5" guages off an 80's model Buick centry or somethin...anyway I had to re-wire my dash I went from the fuse panel to the + post on the guage..the other + post to the float and the 3rd post to ground. I either get a VERY full tank or if I switch the 2 +'s around I get a VERY empty tank..no woking here either.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:46 PM   #7
GMC_Aaron

Do you have a posi rear end? That is my next endeavor along with a tranny with overdrive. Do you have any recommendations for either?
Old 07-09-2002, 02:29 AM   #8
bigvinnie

Aaron, sounds like you're still having a problem at the sender.... if the gauge goes way past full when you ground the sender wire then the gauge is acting normally.... remove the sender and move the float thru a full range of motion and see if the gauge responds normally.... (you may have to ground the sender)

if you can get normal readings this way, then the float is getting hung up on something in the tank, or the float is taking on gas and not floating.... if you don't get normal readings, my guess is you got a bad sender... stuff like that happens once in a while and can drive you crazy trying to figure out what else could be the problem... good luck.

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 02:38 AM   #9
GMC_Aaron

Thanks bigvinnie. How's the 700R4? I have a TH400, but I want something w/overdrive. Can I do anything or is it worth doing anything to the TH400 to accomplish my overdrive aspirations? I also want to put a posi rear end in it as well, but I'm still in the early stages. Any suggestions?
Old 07-09-2002, 03:33 AM   #10
bigvinnie

I'm very happy with the 700.... I had a th350 but wanted the overdrive also... it's a straight forward install and you get the lower first gear combined with decreased rpms on the hiway, so it's a win/win situation...

only thing you could do with a th400 is add a gearvendors overdrive behind it, very spendy but would be cool to hear from someone using that combo...

I actually blew up my first 700 pretty quickly because I was towing in overdrive without a trans cooler, not too smart.... had the clutch pak replaced, put in a cooler and haven't had a problem since... the key is running a trans cooler and properly setting up the TV cable...

can't help on the posi unit, but there's lots of good aftermarket drop-ins out there, maybe someone else has a recommendation...???

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 09:00 AM   #11
bmg

I had the same problem and replaced the sender, it sounds like you may have gotten a bad sender or like the others said its hanging up.

Now my ? i put a new sender in and the gage when full goes equivlent to 1/2 tank past the full marker and when it says "E" I'm pushing. Any way to calibrate this? Luckily my brother was in the truck when it went dry, now i carry a 5 gallon gas can.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 10:55 AM   #12
1ToBjimmyk5

Question ground?

Just a guess, but how is the tank installed? If the tank is not grounded would that make the gauge not work?

ANYONE????
Old 07-09-2002, 01:30 PM   #13
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

The guage would still work if the tank is not grounded. I know this, because i took the sending unit out of my tank, hooked the wire up to it, and held it in the air moving the float arm up and down. The movement of the float arm showed up in the guage, showing me that the sending unit was OK. Now the sending unit isn't OK, and i need to buy another one. The first time, when the guage wasn't working, all i had to do was take the sending unit out, and put it back in and that somehow magicaly fixed my gas guage .
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 04:47 PM   #14
TERRYP
GYRO GEARLOOSE

Bad science on the grounding of the sending unit. The whole idea is sending power thru the guage then out to the veriable resistance of the sending unit to ground. You must have a good ground on the sending unit. The resistor is a wound resistance wire with a wiper that rubs on it and in effect measures the length of the wound wire. You can take toe cover off the unit and clean the wound wire and the wiper contact. Lots of times the wound wire breaks, or the wiper contact is crudded up. If it won't work out of the tank, it sure won't work after you install it!
66 C-10 Panel, SWB. 350 from '68, 200R4 tranny, 3.07 rear ratio, restoring
68 C10 LWB 350 4spd, 4.56 rear dump runner
82 Camaro, 305, THM-200-R4
84 Monte Carlo 305 TH350, land tuna
85 Tercel SW, snow runner

DISGRACED OUTLAW MEMBER OF THE DRUM BRAKE CLUB
TERRYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 04:55 PM   #15
misfits

GMC_Aaron - I have the exact same problem. I disconnected my guage and now it reads about a 1/2 tank past full. I know its not the sending unit, the guage is fine, and I put new connections on the guage. Still nothing. I just make regular trips to the gas station now.
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote