The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
lorin408

Just bought my first 'burb!!

Well between the last couple weeks of looking for my 'burb, i've received great news. I'm having a baby on the way. Bad thing is if i dont buy my dream truck now i probably won't0 for a long long while. So i went ahead and
Just picked up my first suburban just now on ebay! i'm excited to go get her and see how she is. I waited till the last minute to bid and price jumped from $1650 to $2100. But, it's in my budget and is in reasonable driving distance. unlike the '72 i was looking at a few weeks back that was up in oregon and going for $3700.
only thing im worried about is the seller didnt give many pictures or info. I sent a few private messages and found that it has rust in the usual places, and the third door has a dent in it. there is no a/c, and a few hickups with the carb. I just hope the dent does't turn out to be the whole right side thrashed. well i'll keep ya posted!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:AAQ:US:1
lorin408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:00 AM   #2
Frizzle Fry

Re: Just bought my first 'burb!!

The fender lips are cut. I hope you saw that. Weird that he didn't post more/better pics. Looks like a pretty solid start. Congrats! I bought mine on eBay too. Found a few issues on the 400 mi. drive home... But still a good deal.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #3
Joe67
67 is sold

Congrats!!!

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:06 AM   #4
lorin408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
The fender lips are cut. I hope you saw that. Weird that he didn't post more/better pics. Looks like a pretty solid start. Congrats! I bought mine on eBay too. Found a few issues on the 400 mi. drive home... But still a good deal.

thanks, yeah i noticed he did a lil cutting. i will eventually swap the fenders out for a stock set. Are the rears also cut?

i was very weary about bidding with so little pictures. i mailed him and talked to him on the phone and the truck ran "great" and there were just a few "small" dents here and there. i should have known.

Well i did end up trailering it home, but let me tell you. this guy was very deceiving.

body was painted with house paint , white gloss. looks like its third coat.the great running motor that he drove on a 140mile trip sounded like it was missing. after a ride around the block a few times the radiator was boiling , i felt the radiator hose and there was no heat, checked the radiator and it was pretty much empty. when i pulled it into my drive way i noticed a alligator clip attached to a shock mount, follow it, and its grounding something on the distributor. he had a peice of radiator hose wrapped and zip-tied around one of the tie-rods, not sure what it was there for. maybe to protect the tire from rubbing. plumbers tape holding side mirrors and exhaust pipes secure. oh and a bungee cord working some magic up in the front grill assembly.and thats what iv'e noticed so far. i'm sure i'll have the pleasure of finding more surprises.

all in all though, i decided this truck needs ALOT of work. but im up for it. not the best deal, but once i fix all the previous owners rigged up stuff i'll be a little happier with it.

But hey , its my first 'Burb!!
Old 11-06-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
lorin408

Well to update this project is looking more towards the goner side. I was inspecting the body rot yesterday and discovered that the previous owner used that metal tape and covered up body rot in several places with it. then they lathered it up with thick coat of paint to hide it. i pulled it and it exposed terrible rot. My finger went straight through the header above the rightside of the windshield. now i can see straight through to the other side. i found this to be the case in many other spots. Are any of you aware of patch panels for areas like this?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:20 PM   #6
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Do you have the guy's name?

The only patch panels are donated by other trucks, that I know of.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:32 PM   #7
Frizzle Fry

Ouch! That's horrible. There is a patch panel made for the inner roof area above the windshield.

Just noticed the seller has no feedback. Looks like he going into negative terratory...

Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 11-06-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:07 PM   #8
lorin408

His name was Shawn Lee i believe, but the pink said Ray Mcnulty. Im guessing the Ray Mcnulty was the previous owner and this Guy never Registered it.. on ebay his name is BTSTOYS, I saw a bunch of custom truck club stickers on other trucks at the shop. i believe the guy is in the bakersfield club "Adult Toys" , a mini-truck and custom truck club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel
Do you have the guy's name?

The only patch panels are donated by other trucks, that I know of.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #9
lorin408

So i think maybe i should turn around and sell this thing, not sure yet , it looks like a pain in the rear. I could'nt even bare selling it for what i bought it for, so i think ill just bite the bullet and see what i get offered.

On another note. I found another '69 3/4 4x4 for $800. It has no eng/tran. But , body is very clean with exception to a lil bubling in rear quarter. there is a small dent in fender, and outer grill is a lil bent. He will throw in another fender and outer shell in not perfect but clean condition. the interior panels are there and even the thirdrow seat. im not sure on a/c yet. He also says theres disc up front, that must be an update? they didnt get the disc till later right? I will look at it on tuesday, should i try to go lower on my offer?

There is also a '70 in the city over from me. The seller listed it for $500, they've had it for the last 20 years, said the body is ugly but the drivetrain is great. I havn't seen any pictures yet.

Quote:
Ouch! That's horrible. There is a patch panel made for the inner roof area above the windshield.

Just noticed the seller has no feedback. Looks like he going into negative terratory...
Old 11-06-2005, 08:45 PM   #10
FormerMember
Account Suspended

I would go to Ebay for buyer protection.

You did buy through Ebay?

That was grossly mis-represented.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:46 PM   #11
FormerMember
Account Suspended

One other thought: I'd also ask Ebay to check for schill bidding. He may have had a buddy run up the price tag. Seen it before on autos and other items.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:00 PM   #12
lorin408

Quote:
One other thought: I'd also ask Ebay to check for schill bidding. He may have had a buddy run up the price tag. Seen it before on autos and other items.

i thought about that, and checked into and the guy who was running me up was from tx, although maybe you can just say you're from there. i will check into that.

I just went out and took some pics of a few things
the brown truck is the one im looking at for $800.. the white one is the nightmare.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c65/Suburban_/
Old 11-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #13
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Looks like you could build a good one out of the brown one. I would still go after the guy who sold you the white one. Small claims would be fine, then again Ebay will probably engage Buyer Protection. DId you use Paypal at all?
Old 11-06-2005, 09:13 PM   #14
lorin408

Quote:
Looks like you could build a good one out of the brown one. I would still go after the guy who sold you the white one. Small claims would be fine, then again Ebay will probably engage Buyer Protection. DId you use Paypal at all?

no unfortunately i had cash at the time
Old 11-06-2005, 09:21 PM   #15
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorin408
no unfortunately i had cash at the time
Ebay will still protect some of it. Go after it.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #16
Frizzle Fry

Looks like an Eaton rear-end at the bottom of your first photo page. They're worth some $$$.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:42 PM   #17
lorin408

Quote:
Ebay will still protect some of it. Go after it.
I will check it out. there headquarters are right down the street from me, maybe i can talk to someone. cant hurt to try.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:36 PM   #18
lorin408

: newest update:

I goto the Dmv today and am hit with a $282 bill for penalties.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:31 AM   #19
Tobasko

Hey Lorin,

Sad to see what happened...

What is the condition of the cargo doors???
If they are in shape and you decide to dismantle the white truck...
I'm looking for a set!
Tobasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #20
lorin408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobasko
Hey Lorin,

Sad to see what happened...

What is the condition of the cargo doors???
If they are in shape and you decide to dismantle the white truck...
I'm looking for a set!
The passenger side cargo door has a dent in it where the door swung open too far and hit the rear tailight. i will contact you about them if i decide to part this out.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:42 PM   #21
lorin408

Quote:

What vendor from this site sells this patch and other patch panels? i can't seem to find a links section to the vendors besides the ad on the top of the screens.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:44 PM   #22
smokekiki
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorin408
What vendor from this site sells this patch and other patch panels? i can't seem to find a links section to the vendors besides the ad on the top of the screens.
www.gmcpauls.com has an inner roof patch panel,but it is for pickups.Look under patch panels for a pic.Also has other suburban patch panels.

Last edited by smokekiki; 11-10-2005 at 03:45 PM.
smokekiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:48 PM   #23
smokekiki
Mike

Here is a link to a list of vendors that support this board..http://207.44.196.117/vboard/announcement.php?f=15&a=10
Old 11-11-2005, 12:24 AM   #24
cheyenne10

Sorry to hear news on white ebay rig. I would hate to do it but cutting losses might be best in long run. On other hand you better get serious about the 69 brown one. Hubs look like they might be disc K20 frontend. That baby could be diamond in the dust!! Might make the white one going away easier. Look at that rear lift and drop gate, rear bumper and hitch. All good parts. Buy it and save it before it goes to parts donor like many in that state. Starting with best body you can should save you lots of hrs and dollars over time.

Keep us posted on your new lust with burbs (I can relate)
Old 11-11-2005, 12:55 AM   #25
smirch9

WOW, I'm sorry for hearing about your misfortune, keep us posted on what ebay does. That brown burbs looks like a good buy though.

Have you subscribed? Click here.

Order your site t-shirts and apparel here!
smirch9 is offline   Reply With Quote