The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2005, 01:02 AM   #1
stringpickin

Location: Northern Ca. at the base of the valley just entering the sierra foothills
700r4 Conversion in 4x4 w/4spd trans. questions

Hello and Good day! I have searched high and low through the threads to see if anyone has ever discussed a 4x4 conversion using the 700r4 in a 70 standard 4 speed tranny. Probably there somewhere but figured hey, maybe someone can steer me to it or help me with a couple of my problems. One mainly.

I know I can come up with a solution to this, but maybe you or someone can show me how to do it easier and nicer than it may occur to me how to do it.

I used the Advance adapters that were necessary to marry the transfer case to the 700r4.

The problem arises out of the placement of the shifter lever for the transfer case after the marrying of these two is done.

I know it is not a problem with an truck that was auto before because most guys just use a column shifter set up.

Being mine was a 4spd, I opted to use a very nice Floor shifter from Lokar for the Trans. Looks much like a 4 spd shifter.

BUT, using the standard Transmission hump cover does not work because the new position of the Transfer Case shifter. I had to make a new plate with new cut out places, but it hasn't worked for me yet. Read on please.

I dont know what year they moved the T-Case shifter to the right side of the Trans shifter, but my 70 had the T-Case shifter slightly to the left of the Trans-shifter. NO matter how thick of carpeting and padding you may have had, when the T-Case was put in to 4-low, all the way forward, it never got in the way of the Trans-shifter.

After the conversion the T-case Shifter is directly behind the Trans-shifter. Apparently the distance between the two shifters has been reduced as well after the conversion.

So now, if you have all of your carpeting removed the T-case shifter will work just fine. But if you have your carpeting in and the Shifter Boot rings installed you cannot put the t-case in to 4 low by a fair amount.

Is there anyone here that has dealt with this problem.

There are a few fixes I assume. Bend the T-case handle so it is not a problem, but the problem with that is the shifter is already so close to the seat that when it is in 4-high position it will definatly hit the seat.

If I bend it far enough so that it clears the Trans-shifter on the left hand side, the handle will end up so short, that it will be very hard to get enough leverage to operate the T-case easily. I know it is supposed to work relatively smooth, but I don't know about you, my experience has been with every chevy I have had, they are supposed to operate pretty easily but usually don't. Especially when trying to get it back out of 4 low at times no matter even if you back up the truck or rock it or whatever to get it to un-bind. And I have noticed with the Auto it is even more finicky. Usually have to turn the dern motor off. I hate that.

So, would be interested to see if you can help me. Even if you say, what is your problem you turtle brain, just do this, it won't bother me one bit.. LOL

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. For anyone else maybe this will help you out if you plan on doing a 700r4 conversion. At least you will have advance warning of what you can expect with this aspect of it.. If you would like to know anything about the conversion aspects that I went through, I would be glad to let you know what i know, just drop a note.

Thanks again very much. Sorry for the length, but wanted to be clear.

String-machine
Old 11-04-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
Blazer1970

Re: 700r4 Conversion in 4x4 w/4spd trans. questions

In later years ('72 for sure), they used a t-case shifter for the 205 that came up on the right side of the hump. It just doesn't have that big bend in it that crosses it back over to the left. I think the shift lever is the only difference, and that lever would probably fix your problem. Pretty sure that style lever was used all the way through the '70s as long as the 205 was used.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:08 PM   #3
stringpickin

Location: Northern Ca. at the base of the valley just entering the sierra foothills
Re: 700r4 Conversion in 4x4 w/4spd trans. questions

Hey Tim,, Well, that would be my dreams come true if that was the case. I always liked the t-case shifter on the right and had always wished mine was like that. so I might be able to get a 72 hump cover and the 72 tcase shifter and have my problems solved. I will check in to that,, thanks a lot. For some reason I thought the new T-case they used in the later years was the reason for the shifter change, but now I recall that was the same t-case in 72, it was 73 when they changed. And even then I dont' know if the outer shape of the case changed that much.

thanks again, will let you know if it bolted right up..

string machine